Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how to work out question 26 and 27 in the 2007 section 1 bmat past paper?

the airline probabily one and the farmer's chicken count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donc, je suis.)
    As it passes into a less dense medium (from water to air) the light refracts away from the normal. It then refracts towards the normal as it goes from the air to water. Its B, because when white light waves enter the bubble they slow down and bend...different coloured light has different frequencies,and the higher the frequency of the light wave the more it is slowed down and the more it is bent.Red has a lower frequency so is only bent a little. Violet has a much higher frequency so is bent more.
    Thanks very much! *reps*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HA.HA)
    Anyone know how to work out question 26 and 27 in the 2007 section 1 bmat past paper?

Oh dear I didn't get the chicken one either! So would appreciate this answer too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beth.x)
    Thanks very much! *reps*
    Yay! My first rep =),i'm so proud. thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HA.HA)

Question 27

Ok, so he taggs 50, catahes another 50, of wwhich 6 are tagged

So to estimate the population, we take all the 50 that were tagged previously, to be 6.

This is a bit confusing to explain, but if you take the 50 as the whole population , only 6 have been tagged. Buy you know that actually 50 have been tagged, So:

6 is equlivant to 50, and you have to work out what 50 is equlivant to:

So you do: 50 / 6 = 8.33

8.33 X 50 = 417 ( you could just do 8 X 50, which is 400, and choose the closest)

ReputationRep:
    moving at an exponential rate..... hmmm iffy comparison

ReputationRep:
    Yay! My first rep =),i'm so proud. thank you
    You're welcome! You helped a lot and I'm in a good mood today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beth.x)
    You're welcome! You helped a lot and I'm in a good mood today
    I can see why! Congrats for the interview (I've been haunting all the med threads today :p: )

ReputationRep:
    I can see why! Congrats for the interview (I've been haunting all the med threads today :p: )
    Haha thanks! Although BMAT revision is now non existant in excitement. I loved Kings when I visited

ReputationRep:
    Could someone PLEASe take a look at my essays below:

It Is ridiculous to treat the living body as a mechanism

What doe the above statment imply?
    Give examples that illustrate why it might sometimes be sensible to treat the body as a mechanism and others that illustrate the opposite.
    How might you resolve this contradiction?

Spoiler:
    Show

The above staement implies that the body is not a mechanism; its behaviour is too chaotic for it to be described in a mechnistic manner.
    An example whe it is sensible to treat the body as a mechanism would be hormone production, for example, ADH levels. When the water level in the blood drops this is detected stimulating the production of ADH which then causes the kidney to reabsorb water. So in this situation the body can be treated as a simple mechanism with cause and effect; A follows B which follows C.
    An example of a situation where the body may not be treated as mechanistic would be cognitive function and emotions. The reaction to a given stimulus varies greatly from individual to individual and a simple mechanism cannot explain this.
    A possible solution to this apparant contradiction is that the body is too complex a mechanism for us to understand currently. This could be due to chaos theory; small changes in a situation may greatly affect the total outcome. In this sense the body could be likend to the weather, somthings are easy to predict such as, 'will it snow tomorrow' whereas long term prediction is not currently possible.
    In conclusion currently the body may not be treated soley as a mechanism as we don't know how all varibles that may affect it and how they do so. But some aspects of the body when veiwed in isolation may be treated as mechanistic.

Our unprecedented survival has produced a revolution in longevity which is shaking the foundation os societies around the world and profoundly altering are attitudes to life and death

This is a statement concerning ageing and longevity; explain what you think it means. advance an argument against this statement ie in favour of the proposition that 'a revolution is not shaking the foundations of societies around the world'.

Spoiler:
    Show

I think that the statement means that as life expectancy has increased it has caused the demographic of countries to change resulting in a greater strain on services and an increased ratio of dependant elderly on the rest of society.
    This premise of increased longevity was then taken to the extreme by John Wyndham in his book 'Touble with Lichen' where a compound was developed that would increase life expectancy by a factor of up to 10. He envisaged that this would cause: generations of unemployed, people waiting years for promotion and a population explosion straining natural resources.
    An argument that out increase longevity is not shaking the foundations of societies is to use the example of Japan. Japan has a high life expectancy and a large number of elderly. It has solved these problems through increase automation which has rendered large numbers of physical jobs unecsary; one person can do then with a machine, eg digging. This has meant that fewer actively working people are needed to support the increasing number of elderly; Japan as one of the wealthiest and most succesful countries on the plannet.
    The problem of over population due to increased life expectancy may also be averted naturally; birth rates are decreasing. This may be due to the fact children are less likely to die in childhood so a large number of children is not necessary.
    However, there may be some changes of significance. for example as there is an increased number of old individuals euthanasia may become more significant as there are more people in extreme pain unable to end their own lives and who need assistance to do so. This may get to the point where legislation may need to be changed.
    In conclusion while it is unlikely our longevity will grealty alter society attitude to certain topic may alter.

Feel free to be mean!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me with this question:

A motor has 25% efficiency. If the motor consumes 10W of power, how long will it take the motor to pull a 10N brick up a 5m wedge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_examz)
    Question 27

Ok, so he taggs 50, catahes another 50, of wwhich 6 are tagged

So to estimate the population, we take all the 50 that were tagged previously, to be 6.

This is a bit confusing to explain, but if you take the 50 as the whole population , only 6 have been tagged. Buy you know that actually 50 have been tagged, So:

6 is equlivant to 50, and you have to work out what 50 is equlivant to:

So you do: 50 / 6 = 8.33

8.33 X 50 = 417 ( you could just do 8 X 50, which is 400, and choose the closest)
    Woah, another great explanation!! Thank you! although I didn't ask this q, I wasn't sure of how it worked.. was trying to work out.. thx I_hate_examz!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Papillon)
    Imperial want at least half marks in each section. Emphasis on "each".

Oxford use you score in collaboration with your A* percentage. > A*%, the less high your score has to be to guarantee an interview. If you meet that (variable) mark, you're shortlisted for interview. Though it must be noted that about 10% of those interviewed don't make the shortlist but are assessed individually on their own merits and added onto the list as the admissions tutors/people see fit.

Kings uses the UKCAT. They have a cut off. Usually it's around 600.

UCL will guarantee you an interview if you get 5, 5, 9, but "it is important that applicants realise that only a small proportion of applicants will achieve these high scores. The rest of our interviewees will be selected based on their whole application. Scoring less that 19 does not disqualify an applicant from the selection process." (See: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/p...tive-students/)

Good luck.
    Nuh-uh, plenty of people here scored 6 in the essay section. They place a lot of weight on the scores you achieve in the first two sections. It's never been officially published anywhere but I'm fairly sure the cut-off for last year was 4.7 in the first two sections. I haven't spoken to anyone yet with anything lower, most people got 5+ in the first two sections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)

A motor has 25% efficiency. If the motor consumes 10W of power, how long will it take the motor to pull a 10N brick up a 5m wedge?
    energy required to pull the brick = mass x gravitational field strength x height
    = (10/10) x 10 x 5
    = 50 J

efficiency = total energy output/total energy input x 100
    25 = 50/x * 100
    x = 200J this is the amount of energy supplied to the motor

Energy transferred = Power x time
    time = 200/10
    t = 20 secs

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't even know where to start with that!

ReputationRep:
    0.25 x 10 = 2.5W of useful power
    work done = force x distance
    so WD is 50N
    P= WD divided by t
    so t= 50 divided by 2.5 which equals 20s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    energy required to pull the brick = mass x gravitational field strength x height
    = (10/10) x 10 x 5
    = 50 J

efficiency = total energy output/total energy input x 100
    25 = 50/x * 100
    x = 200J this is the amount of energy supplied to the motor

Energy transferred = Power x time
    time = 200/10
    t = 20 secs
    thats exactly what i got, but apprently not!

ReputationRep:
    what's the answer then?

ReputationRep:
    no way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    no way.
    exactly!
    its 12
    i can put up their stupid explanation if no one can explain it, its just that i dont understand their explanation it just looks really long. If were all getting 20, I'm sure its wrong rite??

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.