Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it because of colonialism? How exactly? India was a colony. which the British treated awfully, but is prospering better than Africa. If current economic growth rates are sustained, India would be a leading world economy be the middle of this century. No African country can really say the same thing.

Are people from the West, Middle East, Far East more intelligent? Perhaps, but it remains controversial and moot.

Is it due to climate and topography? Again, maybe.

So, in your view, why are some parts of the world more advanced than others?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps because these areas are the most fertile areas accessible to humans in their migration from Africa allowing them to settle, grow crops and be successful.

ReputationRep:
    Too many factors and exceptions to those factors to consider really, ranging from climate, resource endowment, industrialisation, political relations, global location, colonialism, religious factors, demographic factors, style of government etc..

It's pretty much impossible to answer as a whole, and requires countries to be looked at individually as well as globally.

ReputationRep:
    The landmasses are connected very well, lots of trading, sharing of ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Genetic, they were just born more intelligent than other areas of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m4n0ran)
    Shame I've used up my rep.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by she)
    Shame I've used up my rep.

:rolleyes:
    Explain to me why Africa isn't as modernised as the USA then?

Africans are better physically, the Americans are better intellectually. The world started equal from day 1. In fact the earliest forms of human beings were thought to exist in Africa, I wouldn't put it down to location, as those who were smart enough to migrate did so.

ReputationRep:
    The world started equal from day 1.
    You're ignoring natural resource endowments, climate, relief, soil fertility etc..

The world was not started "equal", therefore your deluded idea that Africans are "genetically unintelligent" is simply idiotic.

Explain to me why Africa isn't as modernised as the USA then?
    See above. Due to the zenith point of the sun, a band of low pressure girdles the earth, forming what's known as the Hadley cell forcing air to descend on Africa, particularly in the Sahel. As a result, the area suffers incredible drought, resulting in poor soils and high levels of desertification. Thus, argicultural industries cannot thrive, meaning high levels of famine, poor life expectancy etc, crippling the ability of Africa to develop to begin with.

I wouldn't put it down to location, as those who were smart enough to migrate did so.
    At this point, it's pretty obvious you're just trolling, but I'll humour you anyway. It would seem you're completely unaware of the cycle of poverty and the fact the majority of countries located in Africa suffer the lowest GDPs per capita in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    The world was not started "equal", therefore your deluded idea that Africans are "genetically unintelligent" is simply idiotic.
    I never said that. Africans are extremely intelligent and sensitive people.

ReputationRep:
    I never said that. Africans are extremely intelligent and sensitive people.
    You pretty much did.

ReputationRep:
    Cuz we r cool0rz!2121!

ReputationRep:
    You pretty much did.
    Nice contribution.

Well the West, Middle East and Far East surely have the majority of the world's population.

I know people are having a go at you for it, but that's still a valid hypothesis. I don't really believe it myself, but it's a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Nice contribution.
    Erm.. See my first edited post.

Your ignorant contribution pales in comparison to mine.

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. See my first edited post.

Your ignorant contribution pales in comparison to mine.
    Erm, I made an original point and you go trolling and just shouting at me for having my own opinion. I wonder who has made the biggest contribution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    I know people are having a go at you for it, but that's still a valid hypothesis. I don't really believe it myself, but it's a possibility.
    Not really.

How would you go about investigating intelligence without inviting massive cultural bias in your testing?

If you managed that hurdle, you then have to deal with the fact that this said intelligence is most likely a result of the current state of development. The hypothesis lacks the ability to identify cause and effect. You then have to consider the fact that it is extremely questionable whether or not intelligence is hereditary anyway.

Overall, it's a pretty stupid explanation.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I made an original point and you go trolling and just shouting at me for having my own opinion. I wonder who has made the biggest contribution.
    I hardly shouted at you, I merely pointed out all of the crippling faults and how hideously reductionist your explanation was. If you can't handle that, maybe you should think before you post?

ReputationRep:
    I hardly shouted at you, I merely pointed out all of the crippling faults and how hideously reductionist your explanation was. If you can't handle that, maybe you should think before you post?
    I'm not the one getting worked up over a post on an internet forum.

Not really.

How would you go about investigating intelligence without inviting massive cultural bias in your testing?

If you managed that hurdle, you then have to deal with the fact that this said intelligence is most likely a result of the current state of development. The hypothesis lacks the ability to identify cause and effect. You then have to consider the fact that it is extremely questionable whether or not intelligence is hereditary anyway.

Overall, it's a pretty stupid explanation.
    Well, it's still a valid hypothesis, it'd just be pretty hard to test. Also, if it turned out that it is true that whatever people with whatever skin colour/race is less/more intelligent than people with a different skin colour/race, I still agree with you by saying that this isn't the cause of them not contributing to society (or if it is, it's only a really small factor).

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the one getting worked up over a post on an internet forum.
    Hardly.

The whole point of this thread was for debate. You made a nonsensical point, I counter-argued with actual evidence, and you failed to support your claim.

That's how discussions work. I'm quite enjoying it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.