Would doing a conversion MSc at a well-ranked university help me get a job in tech? Watch

Aceturn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I'm considering undertaking a conversion MSc in Computing and IT at a well-ranked university such as St Andrews, UCL, etc. My undergraduate degree was in business, so I was wondering how easy it is to get a job in the tech field after doing one of these conversion courses.

I'd appreciate any advice/input!
UniWasEz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's very viable. The reality of these courses in well run departments is the workload is way above that of a final year undergrad, partly as the course goes into more depth on certain concepts but mostly due to the amount you have to learn from a different starting point. These courses help you to think more like a developer and are great for showing a demonstrable interest.

Assuming its a technical job you are after, is the course good enough to get you a good job at a desirable employers? No, but neither are undergrad courses. You will need to do work outside of studies to develop your technical skill-sets. Having a degree just helps you get into the first stages of the selection process.
Aceturn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by UniWasEz)
It's very viable. The reality of these courses in well run departments is the workload is way above that of a final year undergrad, partly as the course goes into more depth on certain conceThispts but mostly due to the amount you have to learn from a different starting point. These courses help you to think more like a developer and are great for showing a demonstrable interest.

Assuming its a technical job you are after, is the course good enough to get you a good job at a desirable employers? No, but neither are undergrad courses. You will need to do work outside of studies to develop your technical skill-sets. Having a degree just helps you get into the first stages of the selection process.
This is a great answer, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads