The Student Room Group

Veganuary: Ask a Vegan!

I've been vegan for over two years now and it was a great decision for me. Since this month is Veganuary, where people can try out a vegan lifestyle with loads of support for 30 days and see how it works for them, I figured now would be a great time to answer some questions!

If you want to know anything about what I eat, what I buy, my views, what veganism is and what it means, or anything else just ask away! :heart:

Scroll to see replies

what do you eat if you’re very low in energy
Original post by IH8Studying
what do you eat if you’re very low in energy

Aha what a question! I actually have chronic fatigue syndrome, so I'm always very low in energy. I have found since going vegan that my energy levels are quite a bit higher, but if I'm having a rough time I make sure I'm eating better so I make sure to have a nice big side salad with meals, eat more fresh veg, try to get in some more whole foods that don't require too much preparation, and I'll start using more tofu as an easy way to boost my protein intake :smile:
Why did you go vegan and what does veganism mean to you?

Popcorn preference?
Reply 4
How much more or less expensive are your clothes if you cannot wear leather or wool etc?
Original post by Obolinda
Why did you go vegan and what does veganism mean to you?

Popcorn preference?

I was always vaguely interested in maybe going vegetarian after I went to a vegetarian friend's house as a child and had a nice meal with them, and then when I started volunteering on TSR a few years ago I met a lovely vegan person who I really looked up to, so when my best friend expressed interest in it as well we just decided to dive in and do it together. For me, it's very much the standard definition and way of going about it. All about not exploiting animals so no animal products in my food, clothes, toileteries etc and no animal testing either. The only exception being medication and such, but you're still considered vegan when using these because it's a neccessity and veganism is all about doing what is possible and reasonable. As well as the animal side of things, I also do it with the environment in mind

I love a mix of sweet and salted, though sprinkled with nut butter powder is good too :drool:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 0le
How much more or less expensive are your clothes if you cannot wear leather or wool etc?

Usually quite a lot cheaper! You get to know what kind of things are safe, and an email to a company can help you figure things out as well if you aren't sure. There's a lot of pricey certified vegan brands, but places like New Look and M&S are also coming out with specific vegan ranges now too, though most vegan clothes still aren't labelled vegan. I actually buy a lot of my clothes second hand now anyway for environmental reasons, which obviously makes it even cheaper again :tongue:

Shoes and boots are for sure are the cheapest in comparison to leather alternatives for me
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Aha what a question! I actually have chronic fatigue syndrome, so I'm always very low in energy. I have found since going vegan that my energy levels are quite a bit higher, but if I'm having a rough time I make sure I'm eating better so I make sure to have a nice big side salad with meals, eat more fresh veg, try to get in some more whole foods that don't require too much preparation, and I'll start using more tofu as an easy way to boost my protein intake :smile:

Genuine question - I lived in Africa - for many years. How would you justify your veganism when people struggle to find a decent meal every day
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Genuine question - I lived in Africa - for many years. How would you justify your veganism when people struggle to find a decent meal every day

That's really interesting. I'm very lucky that I'm priveledged to be able to eat enough every day and make the choices that I make. It's definitely not something that would have been possible for me when I was homeless or even in the years of living in poverty after that, but I'm very lucky that things changed for me. One of the reasons I do it, though not the only reason, is because so much of the land that's being taken over and being destroyed in other countries is for livestock. Livestock takes up so much space and so many resources, and a vegan diet is much better for the planet in that way. Most of the soy grown is actually used to feed livestock. If all of that stopped we would be able to grow enough crops to feed the world properly, though I understand it's much more nuanced than that and I won't pretend to know everything about it. Ultimately, I have to eat something but I try and make ethical choices
Reply 9
I am doing Veganuary having been vegetarian for a little over a year. I have really enjoyed the first few days. It has been rewarding taking my own lunch to work rather than have the canteen bland offerings, cooking some great vegan recipes at home and trying simple vegan options when out and about - had a delicious West Cornwall Co vegetable pasty yesterday. I think I can get out of the habit of things I though I would really miss like cheese, eggs, butter, custard, milk chocolate. A few questions which I hoped you could help with as an experienced vegan:

- How do you manage Vit B12?

- Have you found a cheese that you rate?

- What's your favourite plant milk for use in cooking?

- I am finding cakes / desserts the most difficult things to tastily replace. Any ideas?
That's really interesting. I'm very lucky that I'm priveledged to be able to eat enough every day and make the choices that I make. It's definitely not something that would have been possible for me when I was homeless or even in the years of living in poverty after that, but I'm very lucky that things changed for me. One of the reasons I do it, though not the only reason, is because so much of the land that's being taken over and being destroyed in other countries is for livestock. Livestock takes up so much space and so many resources, and a vegan diet is much better for the planet in that way. Most of the soy grown is actually used to feed livestock. If all of that stopped we would be able to grow enough crops to feed the world properly, though I understand it's much more nuanced than that and I won't pretend to know everything about it. Ultimately, I have to eat something but I try and make ethical choices

You are so deluded - I get vegetarians - 100%. Vegans want to wear plastic shoes - how mad is that. ( I have a son who is vegan.....) It is so insulting to people who have not enough food to give up all animal based produce.

I am going vegetarian for 5 days a week - it is definitely healthier. But you - you are so far from the real world - spend 4 weeks living in Africa to see how daft you are.

Vegans don't want to use bees - Bees pollinate everything we do. Without pollination they die

Oh and final point - you don't live in Africa - you live in UK don't you
What's your opinion on people who raise children or carnivorous pets like dogs on a vegan/vegetarian diet? I have no issue at all with vegans or anyone else but I think it should be a choice not something that is forced on someone who can't yet decide for themselves e.g children (same with religion or anything else) there are also plenty of vegetarian pets like rabbits or guinea pigs.
You are so deluded - I get vegetarians - 100%. Vegans want to wear plastic shoes - how mad is that. ( I have a son who is vegan.....) It is so insulting to people who have not enough food to give up all animal based produce.

I am going vegetarian for 5 days a week - it is definitely healthier. But you - you are so far from the real world - spend 4 weeks living in Africa to see how daft you are.

Vegans don't want to use bees - Bees pollinate everything we do. Without pollination they die

Honestly there's no need to be insulting. As for plastic shoes it's not like people are going to be clumping around in HDPE ridged clogs, plastic can be woven into fibre and is a very versatile synthetic material, plenty of shoes are already made of plastic composites for this reason.
Original post by Zarek
I am doing Veganuary having been vegetarian for a little over a year. I have really enjoyed the first few days. It has been rewarding taking my own lunch to work rather than have the canteen bland offerings, cooking some great vegan recipes at home and trying simple vegan options when out and about - had a delicious West Cornwall Co vegetable pasty yesterday. I think I can get out of the habit of things I though I would really miss like cheese, eggs, butter, custard, milk chocolate. A few questions which I hoped you could help with as an experienced vegan:

- How do you manage Vit B12?

- Have you found a cheese that you rate?

- What's your favourite plant milk for use in cooking?

- I am finding cakes / desserts the most difficult things to tastily replace. Any ideas?

That's really great! I'm glad it's going well for you :heart:

Of course! So for vitamin b12, and other things, I have a supplement that I take which is just a cheap one from Holland and Barrett, but I also eat fortified foods. Lots of specific vegan foods, like plant milks, meat alternatives and nutrional yeast are all often fortfied with vitamins and minerals that are harder to get in a vegan diet. Before I went vegan I was iron deficient for many years, but haven't had any issues since.

Cheese wise, it's difficult. For things like sandwiches I'll just use a mozzarella alternative. Either Violife or a supermarket own brand - they're both the same it just depends if any are on offer or something like that. I'm not as keen on the 'original' flavours. The cream cheese alternatives are the best, in my opinion, and I'll grab any brand in those. I also really like the sheeze jalapeno and pepper one! If you're not sure about vegan cheeses, especially melted, I recommend trying them in a restaurant and seeing how you feel about them there. Places like Zizzi and Pizza Express do vegan cheeses and they taste very different simply because they're cooked differently

I like to use the tinned coconut milk for cooking a lot of the time, but if I want something plainer I'll just use unsweetened soya. Because I live alone I don't go through a lot of plant milks so don't buy anything sweetened because I'll end up wasting a lot of it if I can't use it for everything. For baking I really like oat milk, and for things like cereal and hot drinks I love cartoned coconut milk.

Look up specifically vegan bakers, especially on instagram. The best vegan recipes come from vegans themselves. I really recommend sophie.bullimore on instagram! There's also a really good trick where you take a boxed cake mix, many are vegan, and instead of adding the eggs and milk or whatever just chuck in a can of fizzy drink. I love a plain vanilla cake with a can of 7Up in it. Mix it all together and throw it in the oven, sorted! If you're struggling with specifically vegan stuff try looking up accidentally vegan stuff online. There's loads of it and some of it you really wouldn't guess!

Genuine question, I was born in Africa and have lived there. I really don't understand the relation?..

That's fine, you're very welcome to have your opinion :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
What's your opinion on people who raise children or carnivorous pets like dogs on a vegan/vegetarian diet? I have no issue at all with vegans or anyone else but I think it should be a choice not something that is forced on someone who can't yet decide for themselves e.g children (same with religion or anything else) there are also plenty of vegetarian pets like rabbits or guinea pigs.

Eeee yikes, don't like it. Children I don't bother myself with because I've never raised a child, know nothing about raising a child, but believe if you're going to do it just make sure their doctor is aware and supportive and that their advice is listened to. Animals that aren't naturally vegan/veggie, nah don't do it. If you can't handle feeding an animal meat, don't choose to look after an animal that eats meat
been a veggie for 4 years and this is my first time doing veganuary!! It's going well so far :smile:
Original post by mpaprika
been a veggie for 4 years and this is my first time doing veganuary!! It's going well so far :smile:

That's great! Do you think you'll carry on after January if it works out for you or will it just be during veganuary?

Quick Reply

Latest