Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hullo.

Sorry if this has been asked before.
    I'm at univeristy at the moment and applying for 2009 entry to Medicine. I feel kind of 'out of the loop' of knowledge when it comes to the GAMSAT and UKCAT - our careers advice here is shut over Summer. Rubbish.

What I want to know is;

- How much 'revision' time should I dedicate to each, the UKCAT and the GAMSAT? I'm guessing more time to the GAMSAT?

- Are there any books I should purchase or websites to read through before I attempt them?

- Are past papers available?

And any other gems of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you muchly for your time,
    I'm feeling most definitely NOT in the know.

EEEK.

ReputationRep:
    Gamsat of you havent done chemistry and biology recently will require a reasonable amount of revision work up to A level standard. You definatly need to get your hands on some practice papers and essays so that you are prepared for the exam. You need to be practicing full length papers at least a few times as the exam is very long and the time goes quickly! The UKCAT is a lot more simple, i just used the web for practice questions and one book but once you get a hang of the sections you dont need to revise anything as such just be familar with what is expected eg the shape matching and passage reading.

ReputationRep:
    BY the way are you on for a 2.2? if not then i would avoid the gamsat like the plague, have a look at www.medschoolsonline.co.uk They will explain most things for you and what if required for each uni

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.

I've got Firsts in all my exams so far... Tackling the GAMSAT sounds like the toughest challenge. I can't seem to find any books on Amazon for GAMSAT. Only UKCAT/BMAT. The preparation material that UCAS offers is ridiculously expensive too - especially when I've spent £195 just to sit the exam in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid tackling the gamsat is an expensive ordeal. You MUST get the practice questions and the mock booklet at least to get the feel of the real thing. The style of exam is very unique and there's no time during the exam to get used to it.

A-level bio, chem and physics revisions are ESSENTIAL in passing the gamsat since science section iii is half of the total exam mark. However, the short essay writing and verbal reasoning are the things I found most difficult in the exam and so just doing lots of practice questions really helped.

There is a gamsat subforum on newmediamedicine.com where you can get the essentials for the exam for cheap and I suggest you start from there. There are loads of people on that site who are doing or have done gamsat and so you can get more advice and opinions on how to tackle the exam.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.