M573 – Diplomatic Relations with Iran motion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
M573 - Diplomatic Relations with Iran motion;Rt. Hon. Jammy Duel MP

This house believes that the United Kingdom should stand alongside our ally, the United States, in their mission to reduce the threat Iran poses to the UK, US, allies, and general stability in the Middle East.

Iran poses a serious threat to the stability of the Middle East region along with an existential threat to State of Israel and in recent months have escalated their efforts to cause disruption and attack Western powers culminating in recent weeks with numerous attacks on US forces in Iraq and the assassination of Qasem Soleimani, officially to disrupt further Iranian plots.

Considering Iran's nature as the biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world, or at least one of the biggest, this house believe we should state support of the United States in this matter and be willing to ; further given the threat Iran poses in the Strait of Hormuz this house believes we should increase our involvement in the International Maritime Security Construct including the deployment of the HMS Queen Elizabeth to the region if deemed appropriate in consultation with the other constituent states; finally this house believes the United Kingdom should withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action given Iran's open violation of the treaty and threats to violate it further.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, the United States has been a great ally to us in the past and helped us in some of our times of need, it is only right that if needed that we do the same.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And be willing to what?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye.

Iran is a theocracy with strong ties to Russia, any action which weakens its position is one I shall support.
Ferrograd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not a member, but if I still was (was for a time) I would vote down this. The USA is the rogue state, not Iran.
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In what capacity does stand alongside mean? I however do believe the UK needs to support the USA just don't want another Iraq style war on our hands. As the trouble with the Middle East is as soon as you chop the head off one snake another emerges from the shadows.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
And be willing to what?
Can you read?

"increase our involvement in the International Maritime Security Construct including the deployment of the HMS Queen Elizabeth to the region if deemed appropriate in consultation with the other constituent states; finally this house believes the United Kingdom should withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action given Iran's open violation of the treaty and threats to violate it furth"
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Massive aye from me.

Shame we have too many wet doves and terroist-sympathisers in this house.

Rogue states like Iran should be neutered down to a tee. Disgusting people with a twisted sense of ideology and religion which damages World peace.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Can you read?

"increase our involvement in the International Maritime Security ConstruYesct including the deployment of the HMS Queen Elizabeth to the region if deemed appropriate in consultation with the other constituent states; finally this house believes the United Kingdom should withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action given Iran's open violation of the treaty and threats to violate it furth"
Yes, I can. But unfortunately you cannot.

"...this house believe we should state support of the United States in this matter and be willing to ; further given the threat Iran poses in the Strait of Hormuz this house believes we should increase our involvement in the International Maritime Security Construct including the deployment of the HMS Queen Elizabeth to the region if deemed appropriate in consultation with the other constituent states;..."

There's clearly an incomplete sentence/clause there.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Aye.

Iran is a theocracy with strong ties to Russia, any action which weakens its position is one I shall support.
It doesn't really have strong ties to Russia
Thomp0
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Our armed forces should not be dragged into this. It's very close to becoming Iraq Vo.2.
Diplomatic support yes, but our military should not be used.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
And be willing to what?
A warning against going back to change something mid sentence and then not proofreading. "assist in future strikes if requested"
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 1 month ago
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
A warning against going back to change something mid sentence and then not proofreading. "assist in future strikes if requested"
Thank you.
SacreBlan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Absolutely not. Nay.

(Original post by Andrew97)

This house believes that the United Kingdom should stand alongside our ally, the United States, in their mission to reduce the threat Iran poses to the UK, US, allies, and general stability in the Middle East.
I don't disagree with this but 'reducing the threat Iran poses' is vague and you could suggest many things that you believe would reduce the threat Iran poses.

Considering Iran's nature as the biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world, or at least one of the biggest, this house believe we should state support of the United States in this matter and be willing to ; further given the threat Iran poses in the Strait of Hormuz this house believes we should increase our involvement in the International Maritime Security Construct including the deployment of the HMS Queen Elizabeth to the region if deemed appropriate in consultation with the other constituent states; finally this house believes the United Kingdom should withdraw from the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action given Iran's open violation of the treaty and threats to violate it further.
This is where I disagree and I will have to vote against this motion.

Further deployment into those waters will just help increase tensions. And leaving the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action doesn't help anybody especially if Iran is still considering to the possibility to return to the deal. This part of the motion is simply saying that we should be a lapdog to the US no matter what, even when were we not consulted before the recent attack on Soleimani.

Clearly the author of this motion does not acknowledge the lives of British troops and citizens in the area as this clearly does not help de-escalate the situation.
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay, no need to meddle in foreign affairs that don't concern us, with no immediate benefit (other than appeasing trump) considering the potential damaging consequences under heightened tensions. Realistically Iran poses no immediate threats to the our kingdom - this is merely western propaganda used to justify control of the region to aid allies. The real catalyst of destabilisation *cough* Israel and Saudia Arabia. I am for the side of justice, whichever side that may be. We have seen this time and time again for example Iraq when Saddam was in power.

We honestly are the biggest terrorists, our collective group of western nations, especially the spearhead US.

Lets say Iran is funding terrorist. which ones? the most famous and dangerous terrorist groups all have been founded by america. The CIA is no joke. It is the biggest terrorist group. Stop watching BBC and CNN and grazing the bull**** grass the super biased media has then maybe we can have a serious conversation. You know whats crazy? Trump is about to impeached and re-elections are coming up. the likelihood of a new president is low if there is an active war going on. Even congress said that they basically were not consulted and do not approve nor agree with trump. This hypocrite said in a video that resurfaced that Obama was gonna start a war to get re elected to maintain presidency. This is the most ridiculous thing. a lot of lives will be lost and a lot of money wasted for a clown. I cant believe this ****. These things are refreshing because you get to see brainwashed idiotic and falsely patriotic retards come out of the woodwork defending this ****.

But on the point on this question, there is no evidence to suggest Iran is/was a direct threat to UK civilians, and as such our involvement is tantamount to terrorism. It is no longer a matter of self defence when the US are the perpetrators.
Last edited by gr8wizard10; 1 month ago
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Part of foreign policy is putting up with the bad to avoid the worse, so there's no way I can support this motion. This new conflict isn't Europe's conflict, and I associate myself with the remarks made by the President of France, the Chancellor of Germany, and the RL UK Prime Minister calling for de-escalation and multilateral dialogue.
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Not a member, but if I still was (was for a time) I would vote down this. The USA is the rogue state, not Iran.
Is the USA a theocracy that hangs gays from cranes?
Ferrograd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Is the USA a theocracy that hangs gays from cranes?
Well it does discriminate against them, but its rogue in that it believes it has a mission to interfere in the affairs of other countries in the name of "democracy" whilst supporting dictatorships wherever they know they will get support, eg, supporting the junta in greece and spain in the cold war.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm with Fez on this, don't want to be in bed with Trump
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No thanks. Whilst I'm not a fan of the Iranian regime I'm not a fan of the Trump administration either.
Hard pass. I'm staying out of this. If there's a way to deescalate the situation without allying with either side, I'm down, but I'm not allying with either as I don't support either.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise