type 2 diabetes assignment help!!! Watch

tee3434
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
my assignment is about the investigative and diagnostic procedures of type 2 diabetes. I've been doing research but only found investigative procedure such as urine and blood test to rules out diabetes.

Are there any diagnostic procedures for diabetes? I feel like diabetes is just confirmed through blood/urine test however I may be wrong so if anyone knows please do help.

If there is no diagnostic procedures what should I write in my assignment?
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, it is confirmed by blood tests.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
That sounds right. Depending on how your assignment works you may also want to cover a couple of things like other conditions that doctors tend to test for at the same time (part of the diagnostic process is often ruling out other conditions) and how they know to start looking into diabetes (like any simple exams they might do in an appointment to get an idea of symptoms) and if there are any things they look into Ince diabetes is diagnosed to get an idea of severity, what treatment is necessary etc.

I don't know much about diabetes or how it is diagnosed myself so it might be that those aren't really relevant, but it might give some ideas for what else to include or look into.

Good luck.

PS this is the health section which is focused more in the personal side of health. We also have a healthcare section which focuses more on the educational/ professional side of health. You might got some more helpful feedback for things like projects over there.
paub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
diabetic here.
the symptoms are rather obvious.
diagnostic tests
1 random finger prick.
if high do hba1c test if raised diabetic some areas require 2 3 months apart
if very high and or with ketones arterial blood gases need to be done and if evidence of acidosis iv insulin.
most cases is more chronic ie just slightly elevated and require food altering and possibly metformin.
further tests to confirm type
C-Peptide—Instead of checking for antibodies, this test measures how much C-peptide is in your blood. Because levels of this peptide generally match insulin levels in the body, the test can indicate how much insulin your body is producing. Low levels of C-peptide and insulin usually point to type 1 diabetes.
Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies (GADA or Anti-GAD)—This test looks for antibodies built against a specific enzyme in the pancreatic beta cells that produce insulin.
Insulin Autoantibodies (IAA)—In addition to attacking beta cells, the immune system in people with type 1 diabetes also targets insulin, says Laffel. This tests looks for the antibodies targeting insulin.
Insulinoma-Associated-2 Autoantibodies (IA-2A)—This test looks for antibodies mounted against a specific enzyme in beta cells. Both the IA-2A and GADA tests are common type 1 antibody tests performed at endocrinology offices.
Islet Cell Cytoplasmic Autoantibodies (ICA)—Islet cells are clusters of cells in the pancreas that sense blood glucose levels and dole out insulin accordingly. This test looks at the reaction between islet cell antibodies from humans and a variety of islet cell proteins (including beta cells) from an animal pancreas, says Laffel. If your antibodies react with the animal islet cells, you have a marker for type 1. This is the oldest type 1 antibody test, and is not used as frequently today.
Zinc Transporter 8 (ZnT8Ab)—The newest type 1 test, this looks at antibodies targeting an enzyme that is specific to beta cells. This test may not be as readily available.

additional blood tests kidney function/liver
eye tests
and feet
typically most type 2s dont get any other tests done.
in my case im a type 2 that gets keto acidosis ive had the gad and cpeptide tests done which confirms im type 2 its a massive subject.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads