sodium eve
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey so my performance for AS level music will be in approximately two months and I reallyyyyy want to do well in it.

I can play my pieces fine at home but recently played for my music teacher (which I wasn’t really that nervous for) and my hand were shaking a lot, a big problem considering I’m performing on classical guitar.

I know myself and so I know I will be very nervous when it comes to the real thing, and I don’t want this to get in the way of my performance if possible.

So does anyone have any tips on how to eg. control nerves well or stop shaking? Anything along those lines would be appreciated.

Thank you~
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sodium eve)
Hey so my performance for AS level music will be in approximately two months and I reallyyyyy want to do well in it.

I can play my pieces fine at home but recently played for my music teacher (which I wasn’t really that nervous for) and my hand were shaking a lot, a big problem considering I’m performing on classical guitar.

I know myself and so I know I will be very nervous when it comes to the real thing, and I don’t want this to get in the way of my performance if possible.

So does anyone have any tips on how to eg. control nerves well or stop shaking? Anything along those lines would be appreciated.

Thank you~
Hi sodium eve

Firstly, well done on seeking advice. This shows that you are aware of how you need to improve to get the best results possible.

I would say that practice makes perfect. You could put yourself into nervous situations so that you learn how to overcome those nerves. For example, you could perform for your friends, continue performing for your teacher, or do open mic nights.

In the short term, you can start to picture performing while you practice at home. Visualizing the performance may help you get used to the conditions.

Hope this helps. If you need any more tips please feel free to ask.

Dom
remussjhj01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I'm a grade 8 classical guitarist. I got an A in my a-level performance exam and a Distinction in my BTEC performance exam. I also get super bad performance/exam anxiety, especially as music is basically the only thing I'm good at (hence why I did two music courses at college).
The best thing to do in my opinion is to just perform in front of anyone who will listen, friends, family, maybe even try busking! In your lessons, focus on just your performance pieces and don't get distracted trying to learn recuerdos or something ridiculous. I would also say don't unnecessarily push yourself. When I did my final a-level performance exam, our pieces only had to be grade 6, and playing grade 7 got us extra marks. I imagine it'll be a similar situation for you, so check and don't do pieces harder than needed, as it will cause additional, unnecessary stress. Ask your teachers if they'll listen to you play, and give you feedback.
I also did some quite stupid things that I wouldn't really recommend (like skipping lessons to practice), but if you really feel like something like that would help you, it's unlikely skipping one or two lessons will effect you, especially as you're only in first year.
Are you doing an actual as-level or is it an internal exam? Remember either way, it won't contribute to your final a-level grade, and you still have nearly a full year to improve even more before your final a-level exam. Even if you don't to well now, it's not the end of the world.
Also, if this goes towards forming your predicted grades, they're not everything either. By boyfriend got into an AAA, highly competitive course last year with predicted BBD. He then ended up getting AAB. Predicted grades often don't tell much.
I hope this was somewhat helpful and reassuring, and let me know if you have anymore questions.
sodium eve
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
thank you for the advice!
I’m playing a grade 6 and a grade 7 piece since they do adjust the marks up a bit.

The performance exam is assessed by a visiting examiner and I think it is something like 16% of the A-level overall? Because I’m in wales we still do as level exams that count as like 40% of the total a level (I think).

In the long run I know 16% isn’t that big but it would be a shame if I messed up in an area I know I’m capable in because of nerves you know?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (46)
24.47%
No, but I have thought about it (51)
27.13%
No (91)
48.4%

Watched Threads