Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i don't acctually think my school has requirements ... there are deffinightly people kicking about with less than 5c's or better ... and they let people with e in GCSE humanitys take geography and there are people who have done As further maths this yr who did intermidiate tear maths

ReputationRep:
    7 A* - C

ReputationRep:
    We need 5 A*-C including English and maths, but then there are specific requirements for some subjects. Most just require a C in English, but some, such as the sciences, require a B in that subject. For further maths you have to have an A in maths.

Thinking about it, I think you can still come if you fail maths and English, but you have to retake them.

ReputationRep:
    I got into college with 4 A-Cs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trance addict)
    :eek:
    yep, and then they sat in the lesson taking the piss out of the ppl who had done the higher tear (my friend who was doing As further in yr 13 was NOT impressed)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simple.)
    My school had a points system for GCSEs. so for every A* it was 10 points (don't remember exactly). The average was the amount of points divided by the amount of GCSEs. You needed 46 points to be able to do 4 AS's.
    we have a points system as well. but not for the entry requirements. because the school basically let anyone in, it is too full. so to make sure that everyone gives them the grades they need to get higher on the league table, they mark us from -8 to 8 based on what your score is. if you get lower than -4 than you get kicked out at the end of the year/repeat year 12. i am a 2 :yep:

did you also find many flaws with this system too? because we did. for us, it seemed that those doing academic subjects were lower on the table than those doing less-academic subjects. for example, a friend of mine got all As in her GCSEs and did academic subjects (she did 8 all together), and came out with a 3. her sister ended up repeating year 11 in post-16 class for not making the entrance requirements, took 12 GCSEs the second time around and came out with Bs and As, but these were subjects like applied ICT, childcare etc. and she got a 5.:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yolly)
    At my (grammer) school you need:
    - B average
    - B in Eng. Lang.
    - B in Maths
    - Meet entry requirements for subject (most are A but a couple are B, to take Accelerated maths (maths A2 in Yr12, FM in Yr 13 if you continue) you need A*)

But if you are an external candidate you really need more than this 'cos they pick based on GCSE results until the places are filled.
    Nice to know you can spell the type of school you go to. Oh, wait...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for posting in wrong section.

A mod seems to have moved it to the correct place.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    7As and 3Bs for me.

ReputationRep:
    At the 6th form im going to you need atleast 5 B's and a minimum "points" score aswell-something like an A* is 58 points (A= 50 B=44 ect) and you need 250, I dunno; nothing too hard.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty simple at my 6th form.

A-Levels: 5 A*-C grades (2 must be English and Maths (Otherwise you re-sit them in yr 12))
    Then subjects like Geography, Maths, you need a B in.
    Sciences (Chem, Phy, Bio) you have to have BB in double award - singles not allowed
    Then other subjects like Business, English, History, you just need a C.

Then there's the level 2 courses (Beauty Therapy, construction, engineering) that need 5 A*-G grades.

ReputationRep:
    The Sixth form I'm going to is attached to my secondary school I've been going to... It will be the first year the school offers the IB course, so hopefully all will go well.

Entry Requirements: (Copied and pasted and edited down)

6 GCSE grades C or above, including English and Mathematics. Where subjects are offered at GCSE, candidates should aim to achieve a grade A/B in that subject in their GCSEs. If you want to do a particular subject at Higher Level in the IB (you have to pick 3) you will have to have at least a B.

My school prides itself on being All Inclusive so that's most probably why the entry requirements are low, considering the course is for the IB. I think students are going to need more than B & C to do the IB (if it is as rigorous as they say it is)

ReputationRep:
    5 A*- C, with a B for some subjects (generally the more academic ones).

To be honest though these requirements hardly exist. There are people in my sixth form with not a single C studying BTEC something or other, and for the subjects where you need a B, they didn't really enforce this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by --Dan--)
    At my school you need 5 C's (including Maths and English) at GCSE to get into sixth form. Then you need the specific grades for the subject you want to do e.g. You need a B in English at GCSE to be able to do it at AS level.

What are the requirements at your school?
    Just wondering

same as you!

though if it's a new subject you've never done, like sociology, you need a B in english if it's essay based, and for pschology you need a B in science. but then they don't really mind that much if you don't have a B. they just asses you in like october to see how you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    :confused:
    Are you sure you dont add them up? How can you get an average of 46 if the highest possible score is 10?

The college I am planning to go to next year asks your for an average of 6.0 (based on A*=8, A=7, B=6, C=5 etc) to do 4 AS Levels and 6.7 to do 5. You also need C in English and Maths and A or B grades in the subjects needed for your course (e.g. BB in Science for Chemistry).
    Yeah, that was a slight exageration. It was the first number that popped into my head. it was much less than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jerking My Gerking)
    7As and 3Bs for me.
    That's rather high. >_>

At mine you need 20 points from your eight best subjects, where A*=4, A=3, B=2 and C=1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    That's rather high. >_>

At mine you need 20 points from your eight best subjects, where A*=4, A=3, B=2 and C=1.
    It's only because that's my offer for 4ASs and an A2.

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form doesn't have entry requirements, but if you don't have 5 A*-C (i think including Maths & English) then you can't do A Level courses or equivalent, you have to do GCSE retakes or GCSE-level qualifications. Pretty fair in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    4As GCSE

ReputationRep:
    5 A*-C with English @ C grade or above.Then B's and better for whatever course you want to do.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.