can someone mark my comparison between remains and war photographer plss

Watch
Teachmepls
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Both poems “Remains” and “War Photographer” are centred around the theme of effects of conflict in a personal view. In war photographer, we get an insight into a man who takes pictures and shares pictures of people suffering from war. The man feels haunted by the memory of the pain and agony that he witnessed. The man wonders if his photos capture the real pain that is felt and if they affect people in England. In “Remains” the speaker is a soldier who has served in a recent war which he continues to relive the moment when an innocent man was killed as a result of his actions.
Both poets use extreme and graphic tones which develop as the poems progress. At the beginning of war photographer, the man is “finally alone” when the photographer is preparing to see the pictures develop in the ‘church’ of his darkroom. The poet uses religious imagery to make the reader feel as if there is a sense of ceremony to the photographer’s actions. As the photos develop, we see that the photographer is haunted by the memories of “strangers features”. His pictures are reminding of the pain he saw. The tone is one of distress as he remembers the warzone he has left. At the end of the poem when the photographer has to return to the warzone to “do what someone must” the reader gets a sense of isolation as he leaves his feelings of guilt and anger behind him. The writer uses the phrase “impassively” implies that he has no more emotions and how he has put his emotions aside so he can carry on with his job. In contrast in remains starts with a less serious tone where it starts with “on another occasion” to make it sound like a regular ordinary day. The writer uses colloquial language to make the reader feel as if they are reading a story. For example, the phrase “legs it” and “well” make it a conversational tone. However, as the poem goes on the tone becomes more intense with fear and panic as the graphic imagery develops such as “tosses his guts” to show the fear and panic. The final lines in “Remains” completely contrast with “War Photographer” as the soldier feels immense guilt. For example, the phrase “bloody hands” shows how the speaker is feeling guilt and how he is taunted by this memory.
In both poems, powerful imagery is used to show the suffering of conflict to the people involved in a war. In remains, the writer uses figurative language such as “rips through his life” to convey the horrors that the soldier witnessed. The word ‘rip’ suggests the tearing of flesh when the bullet entered his body so it gives the reader a vivid image of how this image would have haunted the speaker. The writer uses this phrase to remind the reader that although the poem focuses on the soldier’s traumatic experience it is more brutal for the people living in the warzone. Similarly, in War Photographer the graphic description of “running children in a nightmare heat” creates an emotive image of the suffering war has put people through. The writer describes it as a nightmare so the reader feels empathy for the children. This phrase also reminds the reader of the photo of the children running from the Napalm bomb during the Vietnam war. The image and words create a disturbing and powerful effect on the reader.

Both poets use structure and form to reflect the effects of conflict. For example, “Remains” has no regular line length or rhyme scheme which makes it sound like a story. It also starts mid-action. The final couplet both lines are the same metre which gives a reader a feeling of finality and how the guilt and the effects of conflict stay with them. The first-person plural is used which makes it sound more personal to the speaker and make it feel as if it is a confession. This reflects how the effects of war are personal to the soldier. Repetition is used throughout the story for example, “possibly armed, possibly not.” The poet repeats this phrase to show how the killing of the repeated and played in the soldier’s mind. The poet uses structure and form to reflect how traumatising war is on individuals. However, In “War Photographer” the poet has a solid form which reflects his job and contrasts with the reality of war. There is internal rhyme used. “with tears between the bath and pre-lunch beers.” This quickens the speed and reflects the speed of how people forget the horrors of war. The poet uses a cyclical structure to reflect the idea of fate and how it is destined to happen again and how the photographer has to carry on with the job. The structure and form reflect the agony and pain felt by people involved in the war.
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did this for my GCSEs
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any recent marks you got that I could go off? I’d say that’s probably a 5 or 6
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.96%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
68.49%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (10)
13.7%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (4)
5.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.37%

Watched Threads