The Student Room Group

Low grades at Uni - should I drop out?

So I’m in my first year at University and so far all my grades for assignments have been between 36 and 40 out of 100. I believe the pass mark is 100.

To achieve those grades I have worked hard and I probably can’t achieve much more just because that’s what I am capable of. I get the impression even chatting to others on my course that my grades are low and wonder is it worth continuing the course if I’m going to barely scrape through?

I know you could argue get your head down and work even harder etc. but I’m a realist and am a very average middle of the road student and know my grades won’t massively improve. So, is it worth continuing or should I drop now while it’s still relatively early on and get a job or apprenticeship where I can get experience and money? FYI I’m doing a business management course so not essential for me to get a degree. Thanks! :smile:
Wait if they’re out of 100 is the pass mark 100 in each essay or added up between essays? Otherwise they’re expecting you to get full marks, which doesn’t sound fair...

I’m not sure about dropping out, have you talked to guidance councillors or professors about this? Of course it’s ultimately your decision, but that may be useful.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Wait if they’re out of 100 is the pass mark 100 in each essay or added up between essays? Otherwise they’re expecting you to get full marks, which doesn’t sound fair...

I’m not sure about dropping out, have you talked to guidance councillors or professors about this? Of course it’s ultimately your decision, but that may be useful.

Apologies meant to say pass mark is 40!
Reply 3
Thanks - appreciate your honesty. Everyone has their own limits and I think I may have found mine.
Reply 4
What course?
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m in my first year at University and so far all my grades for assignments have been between 36 and 40 out of 100. I believe the pass mark is 100.

To achieve those grades I have worked hard and I probably can’t achieve much more just because that’s what I am capable of. I get the impression even chatting to others on my course that my grades are low and wonder is it worth continuing the course if I’m going to barely scrape through?

I know you could argue get your head down and work even harder etc. but I’m a realist and am a very average middle of the road student and know my grades won’t massively improve. So, is it worth continuing or should I drop now while it’s still relatively early on and get a job or apprenticeship where I can get experience and money? FYI I’m doing a business management course so not essential for me to get a degree. Thanks! :smile:

Have you spoken to your lecturers to get feedback on what you've written, and possible ways to improve? It's common to find university-level academic writing challenging, especially in first year.

Tbh, if you don't want to make the effort to improve your marks going forward, then perhaps you need to consider whether university is really where you want to be. University isn't for everyone, so it's by no means a failure if you leave.
Those are kind of poor marks, not gonna lie.

Have you spoken to your professors about this and asked for any advice? Do you visit them during contact hours to go over anything?

Quick Reply

Latest