What grade would you give my GCSE speech?

Watch
Alisha2355
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This is a sample speech that I did for Aqa english language paper 2 question 5.

What grade would you say my speech is from 9-1?
“Modern music glorifies violent and criminal lifestyles”
Write a speech to explain whether you’re for or against this statement.

Good morning students, my name is Alisha and today we will be discussing a topic that has come to my attention of how some people have the tendency to believe that modern music glorifies violent and criminal lifestyles. Let me clarify that this is highly inaccurate and I will now thoroughly explain why.

Let me simply start of by saying that not all modern music revolves around violence. At our young age, we know for a fact that this is a major misconception critics have. Think about these talented, influential, inspiring artists such as Selena Gomez or Bebe Rexha who showcase self-confidence or self-image. Critics are delusional to believe that all modern music glorifies violence when majority of the time we see music on the charts which have no correlation with violence whatsoever. In fact, recent studies have conveyed that 90% of the time the pop genre is packed within modern music on the Uk charts. How can you possibly come to the conclusion that modern music glorifies violence and criminal lifestyles? I know that some may argue that some artists may heavily distribute violent modern music such as rappers like YNW Melly who talk about having ‘murder’ on their mind. Nevertheless, critics are only focusing on a small minority of the modern music and are making an irrational conclusion!

Secondly, is it right to prohibit freedom of expression? These artists spend weeks or months creating an album to release their emotions - some even have mental health issues that they deal with. Yet critics still have the audacity, the courage, the willingness to say that modern music is filled with violent and crime-related ideas is disgusting. Why is now modern music becoming heavily controversial? Everyone, come to a realisation that there is no reason to cease freedom of expression through music! Think about it logically.

It is now 2020. Why are critics behaving as if we are robots? Do they really idolise ideas that we we will develop tendencies to have violent and criminal lifestyles by listening to modern music? Come to a realisation that ideas like this don’t get indoctrinated into our minds that easily.

Overall, let me finalise that critics are too quick to judge modern music without fathoming it thoroughly. Ask yourselves, is modern music really as negative or violent or crime related as it is portrayed to be? You decide.

Thank you for listening.
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm, interesting topic and an interesting stance
Alisha2355
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Hmm, interesting topic and an interesting stance
Thank you
What would you give it as a grade? And is there anything I could improve on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.62%
Excited but a bit nervous (115)
45.63%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.1%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads