The Student Room Group

Retakes

I am going to retake my A levels so do I have to do 3 or can I just do two?

I am thinking about studying

Philosophy ( new A level)
Psychology (new A level)
Chemistry ( retake - got a B)

Achieved grades

Biology- grade A
Physics - grade C not going to retake, will this look bad?

On the other hand I don’t know if I am wasting time. Should I go straight into uni with my current grades and apply to Medicine as a graduate or try to resit with the aim of getting into med in the traditional route.

Which is the more economical?

*taking three A levels which I will have to pay for ( costs £399 each!!) then studying medicine - not GEM
*doing a degree, then medicine.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Can I have some advice please?
If you only need 3 As for Medicine, why not just take two that they'll usually want to keep your options open for unis that do allow resits?
Reply 3
Original post by Lostx
I am going to retake my A levels so do I have to do 3 or can I just do two?

I am thinking about studying

Philosophy ( new A level)
Psychology (new A level)
Chemistry ( retake - got a B)

Achieved grades

Biology- grade A
Physics - grade C not going to retake, will this look bad?

On the other hand I don’t know if I am wasting time. Should I go straight into uni with my current grades and apply to Medicine as a graduate or try to resit with the aim of getting into med in the traditional route.

Which is the more economical?

*taking three A levels which I will have to pay for ( costs £399 each!!) then studying medicine - not GEM
*doing a degree, then medicine.

You only need 3 A levels at AAA or above, so there is no real need to resit 3, given you already have an A
Your Physics result will not count against you and would either be a neutral thing or act in your favour.

Standard entry medicine is far less competitive and requires lower scores in entrance tests to gain an interview, so is usually the better option if you can achieve the grades. It is also easier from a student finance point of view. In your case, however, the extra time and chance to recuperate and show you can stay well may make another degree a good option as it would be a more gentle introduction to independent learning and the uni experience.

It will be cheaper sitting your A levels (£800 v £18,000+ for the extra 2 years to do a BSc then GEM)

My advice to you would be to do your A levels, as this will allow a slower and steadier re-introduction to learning, structure and the stresses and strains of exams, etc. I would then probably think about an alternative degree before medicine or doing some paid relevant work for a year to continue the gradual improvement in your ability to cope, resilience and to show stability in your mental health
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD
You only need 3 A levels at AAA or above, so there is no real need to resit 3, given you already have an A
Your Physics result will not count against you and would either be a neutral thing or act in your favour.

Standard entry medicine is far less competitive and requires lower scores in entrance tests to gain an interview, so is usually the better option if you can achieve the grades. It is also easier from a student finance point of view. In your case, however, the extra time and chance to recuperate and show you can stay well may make another degree a good option as it would be a more gentle introduction to independent learning and the uni experience.

It will be cheaper sitting your A levels (£800 v £18,000+ for the extra 2 years to do a BSc then GEM)

My advice to you would be to do your A levels, as this will allow a slower and steadier re-introduction to learning, structure and the stresses and strains of exams, etc. I would then probably think about an alternative degree before medicine or doing some paid relevant work for a year to continue the gradual improvement in your ability to cope, resilience and to show stability in your mental health

Thank you for your reply, is it acceptable to study A levels online? - No colleges near where I live accept over 18s. So do you mean I only need to resit two? Is it advisable to resit Chemistry seeing as I got a B in it or shall I just choose two A-levels I fancy?
Reply 5
Original post by Lostx
Thank you for your reply, is it acceptable to study A levels online? - No colleges near where I live accept over 18s. So do you mean I only need to resit two? Is it advisable to resit Chemistry seeing as I got a B in it or shall I just choose two A-levels I fancy?

You can study online but you would possibly need to redo the practical element of your chemistry (check, they may accept that you have already passed this, assuming you did).
There are currently only about 13 med schools you can apply to if you do not have an A at chemistry A level, and at least 3 of those do not accept resits, so it would keep the most options open if you resat chemistry and any other academic A level you can get at leat an A in.
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
You can study online but you would possibly need to redo the practical element of your chemistry (check, they may accept that you have already passed this, assuming you did).
There are currently only about 13 med schools you can apply to if you do not have an A at chemistry A level, and at least 3 of those do not accept resits, so it would keep the most options open if you resat chemistry and any other academic A level you can get at leat an A in.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending