electricr3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I’m in year 11 and I’m considering taking classics a level but I’ve heard it’s similar to history a level and I take history at GCSE and I don’t really enjoy it.

Anyone who currently takes classics a level please can you tell me what it’s like.
ScoutLeopard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by electricr3)
I’m in year 11 and I’m considering taking classics a level but I’ve heard it’s similar to history a level and I take history at GCSE and I don’t really enjoy it.

Anyone who currently takes classics a level please can you tell me what it’s like.
Hi! I am a year 11 student and I am going to take Latin next year so I'm going to talk from a history vs Latin perspective. I had to think about this too as I was choosing between the two subjects. From what I've heard, Latin is similar to GCSE in the way that you have translations and set texts. However, marks for stylistic features/essay questions go up.

I would talk to your teacher about what you do in A-level and decide why you don't like history. Personally, I don't like the question types and in A-level there are quite a few essays in history, whereas there are less in Latin.
Espançais
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Is it classics as in ancient history a level? My friend did ancient history a level but they called it classics and yeah it was basically like normal history
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago

If its classical civilisation then highly unlikely to be any latin.
Its a mix of literature, social history and history, but it varies between exam boards.
What you need is to find out what the exam board will be and look at the specification to see whats covered and whether it interests you.
It may not cover as much history as you think.
Until you know what it contains then you wont be able to form an opinion.
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Espançais)
Is it classics as in ancient history a level? My friend did ancient history a level but they called it classics and yeah it was basically like normal history
I think he's referring to classical civilisation.
z4yn4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Classics is how I would describe is a mix between history,philosophy,English. The writing style for essays is nothing like history at all. You have to really try hard to perfect the essay style as it’s not similar to any other subject. The content you cover is absolutely amazing though if you have a great teacher! Don’t just rely on the textbook as this is basic level. To fully grapple with classics you have to enjoy reading to an extent( i don’t read much 🙈)However if you choose it you won’t regret what you’ll learn especially if u travel to Greece/Rome any time soon! You’ll definitely enjoy it so much
Espançais
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
I think he's referring to classical civilisation.
Oh okay ignore me then lol
Fuchsbau
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

I take both History and Classics a level and don't really find them that similar at all. It does depend on the course and exam board your school does, however, only 30% of my course is in the form of Ancient History which isn't even like history GCSE either. I found that Classics a level is rather similar to English a level as half of it is pretty much literature, but, I would definitely advise you to take it.
electricr3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Espançais)
Hi, no I think it’s just classical civilisation
electricr3
Rep:
?
(Original post by z4yn4)
Classics is how I would describe is a mix between history,philosophy,English. The writing style for essays is nothing like history at all. You have to really try hard to perfect the essay style as it’s not similar to any other subject. The content you cover is absolutely amazing though if you have a great teacher! Don’t just rely on the textbook as this is basic level. To fully grapple with classics you have to enjoy reading to an extent( i don’t read much 🙈)However if you choose it you won’t regret what you’ll learn especially if u travel to Greece/Rome any time soon! You’ll definitely enjoy it so much
Ok thank you so much
electricr3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fuchsbau)
I take both History and Classics a level and don't really find them that similar at all. It does depend on the course and exam board your school does, however, only 30% of my course is in the form of Ancient History which isn't even like history GCSE either. I found that Classics a level is rather similar to English a level as half of it is pretty much literature, but, I would definitely advise you to take it.
Ok thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed