The Student Room Group

Can someone please explain calorie deficit?

Hi all, I’m struggling to grasp this concept.
Let’s say my total intake is 1,800 calories.
To be in a deficit does that mean I have to burn ATLEAST 1,900 calories each day to lose weight?

I don’t know how one can burn that much in a day!

Thank you

Original post by Jade0919
To be in a deficit does that mean I have to burn ATLEAST 1,900 calories each day to lose weight?

Thank you

You're right, it's very hard to burn 1,900 calories in one day lol.

You burn 1,600 calories just for being alive, if that helps. So with a bit of working out, of course nobody is expecting you to burn 1.9k calories, you're not an athlete but with burning around lets say 300 calories per work out, that's a lot more reasonable the weight will come off.
(edited 4 years ago)

Thank you

NOOO
calculate your maintenance weight = https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
take away 500 calories from that

download my fitness pal and track your calories and meet that calorie intake do not go over
you will burn 1 pound a WEEK just by eating and you WILL lose weight
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by yotsr123
NOOO
calculate your maintenance weight = https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
take away 500 calories from that

download my fitness pal and track your calories and meet that calorie intake do not go over
you will burn 1 pound a day just by eating and you WILL lose weight

Burn one pound a day just by eating the right foods and watching your calorie intake? lol...
Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb
Burn one pound a day just by eating the right foods and watching your calorie intake? lol...

one pound a WEEK. sorry my mistake
and yes that is what a calorie deficit is
Reply 5
It's easier to burn calories in COLD WEATHER OUTDOORS than warm environment of centrally heated homes because the body needs to stay at 37 deg core temp in order to stay alive, that's really difficult outdoors in winter unless you're moving around lots.

remember a calorie is the amount of energy to heat one gram of water up by one degree C, if you're sitting out in the cold, you weigh somewhere between 50 - 150kg let's say 100kg of "watery you" for easy maths, 1000g of "watery you" in a kilo, 100,000g of you to heat up, you're always burning 1000s of calories every few minutes just staying warm (if you're a bit like a water balloon).

Do you get any food ready made or delivered? You'll burn so many more calories getting food for yourself from the shops, and preparing it from scratch.
Do you take the car to the shops? You'll burn so many more calories if you struggle with your own bags all the way home.
Do you turn up your thermostat at home to a warm temp? You'll burn so many more calories if you turn the heating down a few degrees (depending on your health needs - no need to get hypothermia, no lower than 17 deg, possibly 18 deg for older people)
Reply 6
Hi All!
I train in the gym 4 days a week! For 1-1.15hours (6.15-7.30am) Mix weights and cardio. I eat healthy (pack my own food) rarely eat out/ eat junk food.
I have a desk job so I’m sitting down between 8am-6pm.
Sorry if this sounded like a stupid questions I was getting so confused.
Everyone's body requires a certain amount of energy (measured in calories) to maintain all their bodily functions, daily activity, maintain bone and muscle mass... so just to STAY THE SAME WEIGHT you have to consume your 'maintenance calories'.
This amount of maintenance calories will go up or down depending on how much exercise you do. For example for an average person, very roughly speaking, may need to consume around 1600 calories if they sat around in bed all day, just to stay the same weight, and so if you went to work/uni your maintenance calories would increase. If you worked out, the amount of calories needed just to stay the same weight would increase.
So a Caloric deficit is when you consume LESS than the amount of calories it takes to maintain your body weight and all it daily functions. By eating less, you force your body to use its stored resources and therefore you lose weight in order for your body to maintain all its normal processes. It is usually advised to eat 300-500 calories less than your maintenance calories for good measure, as your EXACT maintenance calorie intake will always be an estimate. It may be virtually impossible to know the EXACT amount of energy it takes to maintain your bodyweight.
Hi All!
I train in the gym 4 days a week! For 1-1.15hours (6.15-7.30am) Mix weights and cardio. I eat healthy (pack my own food) rarely eat out/ eat junk food.
I have a desk job so I’m sitting down between 8am-6pm.
Sorry if this sounded like a stupid questions I was getting so confused.

If you're wanting to just lose weight I'd stick with cardio as it burns so much more calories and also tones you up. Boxercize is a good one, last year I could eat whatever I wanted (obviously not going over board) due to boxercize, I would go at least five times a week, you don't have to go that many times if you don't want to, whatever works for you, so if you did that along with a diet, you'll lose weight in no time.
(edited 4 years ago)
You create a calorie deficit by burning more energy than you consume. The calories in comes from food and drink. The calories out come from a mix of your basal metabolic rate (how much your body burns simply by being alive and the functions that go in inside you. This makes up most of your energy used in a day) and your physical activity. A small amount also comes from the thermal effect of foods but that's only about 10% of your energy expenditure so don't get hung up on that.

If you had a BMR of 1500 and you burned 400 calories through a combination of doing exercise and daily activities (cleaning, walking, climbing stairs etc) your energy expenditure is 1900. If you eat 1500 calories your creating a 400 calorie per day deficit. 2800 calories a week which is just under a lb a week as 1 lb is about 3000 calories.

A great way to boost your resting metabolic rate is by increasing your muscle mass. Increasing muscle is also what gives you that toned look instead of being slim but flabby. Any exercise that gets your heart rate up is great but a mix of cardio and strength training is probably best.

Quick Reply

Latest