The Student Room Group

If you don't want real meat, why eat fake meat?

If you are vegetarian/vegan and you don't believe in eating animals and dairy then why would you want to eat substitutes for the foods?

^^ Just something I overheard on the bus which got me curious.
Not an expert but aren't the substitutes not from real animals, therefore removing the "eating an animal" aspect?
Taste, texture, meat cravings, familiarity? There are any number of reasons
Most vegans don't stop eating meat because they don't like the taste of meat, they stop because they're opposed to it ethically. So if you could get the same taste but without the cruelty then why not? It's also easy, especially if you're not an adventurous cook - just swap mince for quorn mince in your favourite recipe for example, it makes veganism much easier to maintain. Plus, unless you're literally making a whole fake chicken or something, most meats that "fake meats" are based off of aren't natural animal shapes. Cows don't come in the shape of a burger or sausage, it's just a convenient shape for eating.
Reply 5
Original post by Glaz
Not an expert but aren't the substitutes not from real animals, therefore removing the "eating an animal" aspect?

Maybe i should've phrased it differently, but the point was why would you want substitutes for something you don't want in the first place - why not just eat the real thing
Reply 6
Thats a good point, i guess it just depends on what your reasons are for going vegan/vegetarian as my point was why would you miss these aspects if youre against animal crutley etc
Reply 7
Original post by jenhasdreams
Most vegans don't stop eating meat because they don't like the taste of meat, they stop because they're opposed to it ethically. So if you could get the same taste but without the cruelty then why not? It's also easy, especially if you're not an adventurous cook - just swap mince for quorn mince in your favourite recipe for example, it makes veganism much easier to maintain. Plus, unless you're literally making a whole fake chicken or something, most meats that "fake meats" are based off of aren't natural animal shapes. Cows don't come in the shape of a burger or sausage, it's just a convenient shape for eating.

Yeah I back this and never thought of this! Thank you for opening my eyes!
Original post by lrhwaterx
why would you miss these aspects if youre against animal crutley etc

what?
Veggie alternatives aren't always complete mushroom-based substitutions - sometimes, the alternatives are just veggies put together in a similar way and that can be really nice. Case and point: Asda veggie fingers.
Not eating actual meat is seen as not harming cows etc for their food, which while sometimes necessary in the wild, not particular helpful in such a profit-driven world.
Source: went flexitarian for 1 1/2 years ish.
Reply 10
Original post by Obolinda
what?

refering to meat cravings and taste BUT thats only from the idea that a person has gone vegan/vegetarian due to animal cruelty but read jenshanddreams post it opened my eyes to a possible universal reason to change lifestyle
Thats a good point, i guess it just depends on what your reasons are for going vegan/vegetarian as my point was whywould you miss these aspects if youre against animal crutley etc

To understand this you need to understand why some people become vegetarian or vegan; most do it to reduce animal suffering in factory farm conditions. This doesn’t mean they won’t still crave or enjoy the taste of meat, it’s just that they can obtain the same taste without the animal cruelty behind it
What? There is no real meat in a vegan sausage roll? I shall have to stop buying them then. I thought they were made from meat harvested from vegans.

What a disappointment.
Reply 13
If you are vegetarian/vegan and you don't believe in eating animals and dairy then why would you want to eat substitutes for the foods?

^^ Just something I overheard on the bus which got me curious.

It is in our biology to like the taste/texture of meat. So to me it makes complete sense why a vegan would want to eat something that mimics this.
Reply 14
Original post by Sir Cumference
It is in our biology to like the taste/texture of meat. So to me it makes complete sense why a vegan would want to eat something that mimics this.

that's also a fair point too!
Reply 15
Thank you all for your replies and i truly didnt mean to anger anybody, just curious since i overheard this on this bus meaning this is not my opinion.
Thank you all for your replies and i truly didnt mean to anger anybody, just curious since i overheard this on this bus meaning this is not my opinion.

Oh...that's it
..? Well...ok then. Cheers for erm stopping by then..:lolwut:
cultural conditioning.

We are conditioned with western cooking to think that a meal is incomplete without meat, and that the meat is the feature of the meal. Its hard to get your head out of that grove.

Other parts of the world don't have this issue, its cultural. Plenty of places treat meat (whilst still eating it) in a different way regarding how it fits in with other foods.. and vegitarians from those cultures react differently when giving up/substituting meat.

Quick Reply

Latest