The Student Room Group

Should I reject my offers and get a better one with clearing?

I've applied mostly for courses with a foundation year because I don't meet the requirements for many courses without. I currently hold a D and I'm predicted 2 more C's (so I'll have CCD). Anyway, should I reject all my offers and try to get somewhere better (preferably without a foundation year) through clearing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AzzyArslan
I've applied mostly for courses with a foundation year because I don't meet the requirements for many courses without. I currently hold a D and I'm predicted 2 more C's (so I'll have CCD). Anyway, should I reject all my offers and try to get somewhere better (preferably without a foundation year) through clearing?

Hi there!

The best advice I can offer is do what is best for you! With a foundation year there are so many benefits. I did my degree in Business Management and knew nothing of academic skills or knowledge of the subject so a foundation year would have really benefited me.

You need to consider your options and consider why you would want to reject your current offers and wait? Keep your options open, when clearing comes around if you get a better offer then reject the other offers then. Don't confine yourself.

Hope this helps!
Clearing requirements are most often one or two grades below the typical offer. So it's not likely that a significantly stronger Uni will have an offer as low as CCD in Clearing. You can always hold on to your existing offers and then release yourself from them if you see something you like in Clearing.
Reply 3
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there!

The best advice I can offer is do what is best for you! With a foundation year there are so many benefits. I did my degree in Business Management and knew nothing of academic skills or knowledge of the subject so a foundation year would have really benefited me.

You need to consider your options and consider why you would want to reject your current offers and wait? Keep your options open, when clearing comes around if you get a better offer then reject the other offers then. Don't confine yourself.

Hope this helps!

Thank you. I wasn't planning on rejecting the offers right away. I just wanted to see if there is any possibility of there being any better offers for me when clearing does come round.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Clearing requirements are most often one or two grades below the typical offer. So it's not likely that a significantly stronger Uni will have an offer as low as CCD in Clearing. You can always hold on to your existing offers and then release yourself from them if you see something you like in Clearing.

That's too bad. Thanks a bunch for your support and advice though 👍

No. To be frank, you would probably struggle with grades that low, without foundation year. Getting a good degree is worth an extra year, IMO. Good luck.
Thank you. I wasn't planning on rejecting the offers right away. I just wanted to see if there is any possibility of there being any better offers for me when clearing does come round.

I mean sure, if you decide to buckle down and take A levels seriously. Then you could get say ABB and have the opportunity to go to some really good uni's. Even lower end RG depending on subject. If you really hampered down and got AAB you could go just about anywhere, as long as the facilitating subjects work.

Time for me to be honest with you;

Your wasting your time going to uni with CDD avoid that at all costs. You won't even qualify for any graduate schemes after university with those A levels. Also if you really are only capable of CDD then you will likely struggle even at lesser uni's.

You really need to do some soul searching as to what you want your future to look like...because the path your headed down is not really advisable... But luckily your still in a position to change that, i advise you do.

No problem, if you need any help with anything else give us a message!

Ruth :zorro:
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there!

Hope this helps!

You've not just legitimately stated that someone needs a foundation year to succeed at liverpool hope for a probably not even scientific BA in management. All undergrad courses are set up with common first years allowing flexibility to get everyone up to the same standard of base knowledge. Even at my uni which is considerably more academic.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You've not just legitimately stated that someone needs a foundation year to succeed at liverpool hope for a probably not even scientific BA in management. All undergrad courses are set up with common first years allowing flexibility to get everyone up to the same standard of base knowledge. Even at my uni which is considerably more academic.

Of course not, I was suggesting that there are many benefits to a foundation year and that they shouldn't be disregarded as an option to do your degree. The foundation year focuses on core skills such as academic writing, becoming an independent learner and learning the skill of critical thinking. Its important to keep all options open and consider the pro's and con's of those options and what works for one person may not be suitable for another.
You wouldnt need to reject your options and go through clearing. If your results prove to be better than your predictions you could apply through adjustment and wouldnt have to give up your place. Another option could be to reject all your options and apply through ucas extra when it opens in Feb. You state you are likely to be predicted CC and already have a D. Are you resitting a D to try and achieve say BCC or CCC. What subjects are these in and what subject do you want to study. What universities do you hold offers from.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I mean sure, if you decide to buckle down and take A levels seriously. Then you could get say ABB and have the opportunity to go to some really good uni's. Even lower end RG depending on subject. If you really hampered down and got AAB you could go just about anywhere, as long as the facilitating subjects work.

Time for me to be honest with you;

Your wasting your time going to uni with CDD avoid that at all costs. You won't even qualify for any graduate schemes after university with those A levels. Also if you really are only capable of CDD then you will likely struggle even at lesser uni's.

You really need to do some soul searching as to what you want your future to look like...because the path your headed down is not really advisable... But luckily your still in a position to change that, i advise you do.

Nobody said anything about CDD, you made that up. It isn't a typo because you said it more than once. I said CCD, not CDD. Further evidence that you didn't read my post is that you said I could get ABB or AAB which isn't viable because I clearly stated that I already hold a D and I'm expecting 2 more C's.

Anyway, here's my reply to your "harsh truth" as they call it (usually in circumstances when it's actually the truth).

A PhD psychology student came into my school who actually got DDD at A-level and ended up having to go to one of the lowest entry requirement unis in the UK but then he went on to get a 2:1 in his first year and transferred to Liverpool Hope (the uni he wanted to go to). He then completed his degree at Liverpool Hope and went on to complete his postgraduate studies. By now he'll have completed his PhD.

My teacher spoke to me about this and he said to me that the student is very similar to me. He said that we are both very intelligent but we just haven't got the grades at A-level.
(edited 4 years ago)
If you get advice you don’t like the tone of, probably better to just add em to your ignore list.
Original post by swanseajack1
You wouldnt need to reject your options and go through clearing. If your results prove to be better than your predictions you could apply through adjustment and wouldnt have to give up your place. Another option could be to reject all your options and apply through ucas extra when it opens in Feb. You state you are likely to be predicted CC and already have a D. Are you resitting a D to try and achieve say BCC or CCC. What subjects are these in and what subject do you want to study. What universities do you hold offers from.

Thank you for replying.

I hold a D in government and politics. Honestly I could have done better if I revised more. That was my fault entirely. My politics teacher saw it coming too and he warned me beforehand that he won't allow me to resit it because he knows I can get a good grade first time round.

I'm predicted C's in sociology and geography.

I'm wanting to study criminology and sociology and so far I've been accepted for 3 courses, two from the Leeds Trinity (don't wanna go there) for the same degree (one with foundation year and one without) and the third offer is a university I would absolutely LOVE to go to (Birmingham City) however it comes with the compromise of doing a foundation year :-( but I'm prepared to do a foundation year to go to Birm City however, if I cod possibly get in without a foundation year through clearing then that would be the best thing that's ever happened to me.
Original post by RogerOxon
No. To be frank, you would probably struggle with grades that low, without foundation year. Getting a good degree is worth an extra year, IMO. Good luck.

Thank you!

I definitely haven't ruled out the option of a foundation year and I'm not going to reject my offers right away. I can get into my number 1 choice of uni however there's the compromise of a foundation year.

If it's worth it then who cares about an extra year.
Thank you for replying.

I hold a D in government and politics. Honestly I could have done better if I revised more. That was my fault entirely. My politics teacher saw it coming too and he warned me beforehand that he won't allow me to resit it because he knows I can get a good grade first time round.

I'm predicted C's in sociology and geography.

I'm wanting to study criminology and sociology and so far I've been accepted for 3 courses, two from the Leeds Trinity (don't wanna go there) for the same degree (one with foundation year and one without) and the third offer is a university I would absolutely LOVE to go to (Birmingham City) however it comes with the compromise of doing a foundation year :-( but I'm prepared to do a foundation year to go to Birm City however, if I cod possibly get in without a foundation year through clearing then that would be the best thing that's ever happened to me.

Look the fact you could have revised more means nothing. You cant change what has happened. That is not a reason for not resitting. You need to speak to your school to see if they will let you resit and if not look into sitting privately. BCC will give you more options.

How limited are you to particular areas. I suspect you could probably do better than what you have if you are flexible.
Nobody said anything about CDD, you made that up. It isn't a typo because you said it more than once. I said CCD, not CDD. Further evidence that you didn't read my post is that you said I could get ABB or AAB which isn't viable because I clearly stated that I already hold a D and I'm expecting 2 more C's.

Anyway, here's my reply to your "harsh truth" as they call it (usually in circumstances when it's actually the truth).

A PhD psychology student came into my school who actually got DDD at A-level and ended up having to go to one of the lowest entry requirement unis in the UK but then he went on to get a 2:1 in his first year and transferred to Liverpool Hope (the uni he wanted to go to). He then completed his degree at Liverpool Hope and went on to complete his postgraduate studies. By now he'll have completed his PhD.

My teacher spoke to me about this and he said to me that the student is very similar to me. He said that we are both very intelligent but we just haven't got the grades at A-level.

How is CCD much different;

I would always advise someone to attempt to achieve more, was just trying to give you some hope. ABB is not that difficult to attain more than 30% achieve that result.
(edited 4 years ago)
Look the fact you could have revised more means nothing. You cant change what has happened. That is not a reason for not resitting. You need to speak to your school to see if they will let you resit and if not look into sitting privately. BCC will give you more options.

How limited are you to particular areas. I suspect you could probably do better than what you have if you are flexible.

i.e. if he stop's self defeating himself and get's on it. plenty of time left to revise.

I already have an offer from the uni I want to go to so it's not really about doing better but more about being able to do it without the foundation year.

Anyway, I was told I can't resit it by my politics teacher beforehand and then more recently a member of management asked me if I wanted to resit it and I replied with "no" to which she replied "good lad".

I know this isn't really a definitive answer as to if they'll let me resit or not but most likely they won't and in all honesty I don't really want to and my school very clearly don't want me to either.

Again, thanks a bunch for the advice. I really appreciate it.
(edited 4 years ago)
I already have an offer from the uni I want to go to so it's not really about doing better but more about being able to do it without the foundation year.

Anyway, I was told I can't resit it by my politics teacher beforehand and then more recently a member of management asked me if I wanted to resit it and I replied with "no" to which she replied "good lad".

I know this isn't really a definitive answer as to if they'll let me resit or not but most likely they won't and in all honesty I don't really want to and my school very clearly don't want me to either.

Again, thanks a bunch for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Please read my PM hopefully it will explain things in more detail as I believe you could go to better universities without foundation years.

As far the schools threat this is typical of schools making threats in an effort to get students to put more work. Even if your school wont let you resit (highly unlikely) they cannot stop you sitting as a private candidate in another establishment. BCC would look so much better than CCD and would open many avenues for you.

If you are happy with your foundation year at Birmingham City take no further action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending