The Student Room Group

Expenditure and Part-times - Newcastle vs Sheffield

Considering uni of sheffield and newcastle uni for masters as an international student. Was wondering from people who have been there, whats the spectrum of part times available in terms of availability and pay over at either of those places? Also which university would you guys recommend for an overall experience of the UK.

Cheers
Part time work or a part time degree?
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
Part time work or a part time degree?

Part time work
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Considering uni of sheffield and newcastle uni for masters as an international student. Was wondering from people who have been there, whats the spectrum of part times available in terms of availability and pay over at either of those places? Also which university would you guys recommend for an overall experience of the UK.

Cheers

Also whether Newcastle is known for their engineering subjects or just medical related subjects.
P.S. I'm doing engineering

Cheers

There will be plenty of part time jobs available in both cities, both have a high student population as there are multiple universities in both, so there will be plenty of jobs going at the start of every academic year :yep:

Both are great cities, but have a look for yourself online and see which one suits your needs better. Both universities are well ranked for engineering. :smile:

I'm a current undergraduate student at Newcastle University and I love it. It's a very friendly city and the university is great for me. I can't say what Sheffield is like as I've never studied there myself, but friends who study there say they like it!
Also whether Newcastle is known for their engineering subjects or just medical related subjects.
P.S. I'm doing engineering

Is Newcastle known for medical subjects lol?

I don't have specific knowledge, other than to echo the above - both have large student populations and are great places to study. In medicine these two unis are the two which keep the highest proportion of their students after graduation, interestingly. Good choices.
Hi, I'm going to start my studies in 2020. I am international student as well. I have an offer to study at Newcastle University, Automation and Control BEng degree as I have defered my entry in 2019.
I know that Newcastle has strong engineering department in the UK. Since september I've been considering other universities and cities, Imperial College, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Warwic, Bristol and I think I'll be staying with Newcastle.
Main things that made me so are: prices for accomodation are low - £89 for great looking en-suite in Mansion Tyne. Great facilities for engineering. One of not many universities that offers bursaries for EU students. Good links with Industry, great career center. Beautifull building at the campus, both modern and with history. University has E3 academy schoolarship, has Re-cap system that records lectures, free language center where you can boost your english skills.
Fun fact: Rowan Atkinson graduated from Newcastle with EE egineering degree :wink:

What course did you choose and where are you from?

Quick Reply