username4941452
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In Year 13, got a D in the mocks. I’ve applied for medicine (lol), had two rejections so far (tbf they were both for the same uni) got two left. So there’s that.

I just don’t know what the hell to do for chemistry. Nothing makes sense in terms of revision. Like where do I revise from? How? How do I revise for this ungodly subject?

Some advice would be much appreciated. The textbook is absolute bull, tried stuff online. Class notes are so and so. Don’t know what I’m doing anymore.

Every time I feel I kinda get a chapter after reading from chemguide, I go on physicandmathstutor and open a topic based question, and I do horribly.
HannahWilson9
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have the CGP books, they're quite easy to revise from.
username4941452
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by HannahWilson9)
Do you have the CGP books, they're quite easy to revise from.
The CGP books were miracle workers for me throughout high school. In college, they can go burn into a heap of ashes. Trust me, I’ve tried to use CGP for Chemistry so much, but it’s honestly the worst resource I own for chemistry, the entire textbook is absolute garbage with incredibly bare bones info when it comes to the physical side of chemistry. It’s organic side is passable, but the rest is trash.

The only time I use CGP now is for a quick summary on a Biology chapter, never anything to do with Chemistry
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What parts of chemistry do you struggle with? Drawing mechanisms? The maths part? Applying content?
I write up my class notes very condensed onto flashcards as my first step of revision, usually just the key formula or how the constant changes with temperature or whatever, just cutting out all the waffle from the textbook and revision guide.

But my main revision is doing questions. The a level chemistry website is brilliant and has lots questions to do on all the topics, and also the GCP white revision questions book and the textbook too. I try and do one set of questions at least a week on a previous topic, just applying knowledge to new situations.

I got an A* in my year 13 mock in December, (not trying to brag) feel free to PM me if you want more advice
Meduser
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Heya i have a studygram insta where I’ve made a post about the revision techniques I used to get an A* in A level chemistry (did my exams in June 2019)- so if you wanna check it out it’s @studysciencewithmee
Just scroll down a bit and you’ll see a post with the heading “how I got an A* in A level chemistry”

My main tip is to structure your notes using the spec. If your textbooks are no good for you then maybe use online resources such as chemrevise or watch some YouTube videos. Try to get your teacher to explain concepts. Chemistry is mostly application based and so you really need a solid understanding of the content- pls feel free to message me as I’m being quite brief here.

Wishing you the best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.14%
I don't have everything I need (189)
42.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise