Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    And neither are you, with your cute puppydog features. I banish you from this thread. :p:
    Thank you, that is nice of you to say.

ReputationRep:
    You've accepted your fate and don't bother GOING FISHING.

Seriously, why do people just give these skilled and cunning anglers what they want, every bloody time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becksy)
    unfortunately those who are more aesthetically pleasing are treated better.
    Sad but true. An attractive person doesn't need to lift a finger. People are drawn to them and want to make an effort with them. It has been shown that attractive people do better in life. Pitted against an equally qualified but worse looking candidate in a job interview, most the time the attractive person wins out. (someone mentioned the halo effect).

Uglyness coupled with bad social skills is a deadly combination. The onus is on you to please others (eg I could probably count on one hand the number of people who've made a real effort with me in my life!). But your greatest efforts don't come across and may even look rude. Leads to a viscious cycle. woo :woo: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aconite)

Seriously, why do people just give these skilled and cunning anglers what they want, every bloody time?
    Maybe these people are just genuinely insecure? It's not outside the realms of possibility. :no:

ReputationRep:

Your posts are so cryptic yet so amazing at the same time :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)
    Sad but true. An attractive person doesn't need to lift a finger. People are drawn to them and want to make an effort with them. It has been shown that attractive people do better in life. Pitted against an equally qualified but worse looking candidate in a job interview, most the time the attractive person wins out. (someone mentioned the halo effect).

Uglyness coupled with bad social skills is a deadly combination. The onus is on you to please others (eg I could probably count on one hand the number of people who've made a real effort with me in my life!). But your greatest efforts don't come across and may even look rude. Leads to a viscious cycle. woo :woo: :p:
    It was I who mentioned the halo effect!

I agree with the vicious circle point, and equally a self-rewarding circle for those who are attractive. However, I don't think it has to play such a huge part in life. Ugly people, after all, rule the world! Social skills tend to be gained more easily by those who are attractive, as people are, by definition, attracted to them. But social skills can be gained if that is not the case: it just may require more effort; like you say, the balance of responsibility for social interaction shifts. Which is why many 'ugly' people tend to turn to wit or the like as an effective social mechanism.

ReputationRep:

I wasn't fishing, I didn't even say that I was ugly in my post, lol.

EDIT: Who is that in your avator?

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't fishing, I didn't even say that I was ugly in my post, lol.
    I wasn't talking about you.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't talking about you.
    Oh okay.

Who is that in your avator? I am just curious.

ReputationRep:
    Those of us who were/are unattractive had to work harder at developing likeable personalities, being funnier etc. to make up for the lack of aesthetics. Lots of fat men have an incredible sense of humour which in turn makes them more attractive than those who just rely on their looks. Lots of uglier girls have genuine affection and kindness having perhaps not received very much themselves because of their looks. I've found myself attracted to some very unusual looking guys but because of their incredibly attractive personalities I haven't even noticed their best mate/brother who is supposedly the "good looking" one. Who hasn't absolutely adored a hot guy/girl only to talk to them and realise that they're completely vapid? Not all attractive people are dull obviously, but I do find that those less attractive will try harder to be amusing/kind/interesting.

And then you get the "Ugly ducklings" who have this great personality developed from their unattractiveness and then go and turn attractive with age/hard work. Then they're good looking PLUS they have a fabulous personality. They're keepers they are! One day that'll happen to me... One day! :rolleyes:

P.S. Ugly people are less afraid to be adventurous (i.e. Sky-diving) because they're not worried about damaging their looks... Obviously larger people shouldn't sky-dive... just in case...

ReputationRep:

So true! Why is it that 99% without fail whenever I see some girl state or imply that they are hideous, I click on their profile and see a professional pic of someone who has made a every effort to look as hot as possible, usually the stereotype thin, straightened hair look with lots of makeup (quality of face is variable). I bet the next few minutes they're clicking refresh frantically waiting for someone to leave a comment eg "omg no way,like ur so hot!!!"
    The girls who claim to be hideous and have a profile pic like this are obviously fishing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SsEe)

Yeah, everything that you have said is correct. People are drawn to those who are better looking, thats why you will see the less aesthetically pleasing person on their own but the conventionally attractive person surrounded by admirers, lol.

I just feel like this society places way too much on the exterior, why can't we value qualities like loyalty, intelligence, humour and place them above physical attractiveness?

I think that there is a lot more pressure on those who are "ugly", ugly people have to make more of an effort than those who are more attractive in order to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay.

Who is that in your avator? I am just curious.
    Now that's a question I like. It's James Spader, of course. He's the King of Sex and the Joy of My Life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouge)
    So true! Why is it that 99% without fail whenever I see some girl state or imply that they are hideous, I click on their profile and see a professional pic of someone who has made a every effort to look as hot as possible, usually the stereotype thin, straightened hair look with lots of makeup (quality of face is variable). I bet the next few minutes they're clicking refresh frantically waiting for someone to leave a comment eg "omg no way,like ur so hot!!!"
    The girls who claim to be hideous and have a profile pic like this are obviously fishing!
    Perhaps, however, with all of these horrendous 'women's magazines' that the shelves are stacked with, many more women than necessarily should be are insecure about themselves. I vomit whenever I see Heat magazine -- what ****e. What's most depressing is watching a girl cycling away at the gym reading Heat: we all know you're here because you've been made to feel **** about yourself by society at large, but don't rub it in our faces!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reblet)
    P.S. Ugly people are less afraid to be adventurous (i.e. Sky-diving) because they're not worried about damaging their looks... Obviously larger people shouldn't sky-dive... just in case...
    Thats funny and makes sense but its not really true. :p: Attractive people tend to be more adventurous.

ReputationRep:
    Now that's a question I like. It's James Spader, of course. He's the King of Sex and the Joy of My Life.
    I think that I will have to google him, he is a looker, lol. I recognize him so I must have watched something with him in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouge)
    "Such a shame, I wanted children and a husband."

"NOOOO OMGZZ UR LIKE A MODEL" ("No ****, I've been preparing for that since I was 4")

"NOOO ID DO YA" ("I'd do me, too")

"R U KIDING UR FANTASTIC" ("Right on, sister")

"UR BEAUTIFUL U HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT HUGZZ" ("Yeahh, like I was worrying. Gotta go **** over myself now, see y'all")

ReputationRep:
    I think that I will have to google him, he is a looker, lol.
    He's more than a looker. He's the best. Google him (put in "Steff James Spader" for pics of Pretty In Pink, he was just gorgeous) and join me in my adoration of James!

ReputationRep:
    Thats funny and makes sense but its not really true. :p: Attractive people tend to be more adventurous.
    Not those I know. Ask them to go on holiday somewhere exotic and they want to know where they can plug in their straighteners. Ask them to play a contact sport and they worry about breaking their noses. Ugly people have less to lose so are less risk averse IMO. If I looked like a movie star I'd keep myself wrapped up in cotton wool and never do anything to endanger my looks Plus I hate how much time pretty people spend preening. I'd much rather be doing something other than looking in a mirror haha.

ReputationRep:
    You have to have a good personality as you can't depend on your looks to get you through life.

You work harder at school as uglies aren't popular. You consequently get a very well paid job as a computer programmer or similar.

You can have a nice night out with friends and not have randon creepy guys sling their arm round you and press their sweaty armpit into you.

You're taken seriously. Hot girls are too busy thinking about getting their nails done or their next outfit to have intelligent thoughts.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.