GCSE AQA English Literature Paper 1 and 2 Revision and Study Chat Watch

azz148
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just wondering if someone could take a look at the lord of the flies essay ive written, if u are pm me please
mollygribben_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PizzaMan2989)
Nope, doing Lord of the flies, Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde and power and conflict
i'm doing exactly the same!
ItZIbus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone doing Much Ado About Nothing for Shakespeare, it’s a weird book and literally no other sets are doing it in our school. So anyone doing that
I’m also doing An inspector calls, Jekyll and Hyde
azz148
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any1 else struggling on macbeth? Like LOTF and J n H I find so much more straightforward or is it just me?
mollygribben_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azz148)
Any1 else struggling on macbeth? Like LOTF and J n H I find so much more straightforward or is it just me?
no i don't like macbeth nearly as much, I really struggle with shakespeare aha

I prefer to analyse language rather than themes I guess

It's all about guilt, ambition etc for macbeth
Dedication69
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fxwzxyxh)
When completing the unseen poetry the examiners are aware of how much you have already done, so writing a lot about a little is important in this section! The section is split into two; 24 marks for analysis (question 27.1) and 8 marks for comparison (question 27.2) I think.

In the 24 mark question it is important you analyse language,structure&form and what the poem is saying- in the mark scheme you get marks for answers that are 'conceptualised'; in reference to the poem as a whole. My advice for this question would be to spend a few minutes annotating features that STAND OUT or you can write a lot about instantly. Even if it is one simile, it is better than picking a mediocre argument about many quotes. I also recommend you split your work into paragraphs, (language, the significance of title etc) and another for (structure, form, sounds) this way you won't get carried away writing too much. Then talk about effects on the reader and why you think the poet chose to present the image/theme in this way.

For question 2 in the section you get almost no marks for a 'conceptual' response- it isn't in the mark scheme; eg. The writer creates a sense of fear in this poem gets 0. Instead talk about the writers choice of language/structure and how they are similar or differ eg; the writer uses caesuras frequently in the poem to create...blablabla. Try and construct your answer in relation to the whole poem since you have no time to make individual statements. You should spend 10 MAX 15 minutes on this answer. Make sure you compare the poems and don't worry looking for both language and structure. Just like the language paper, if you can't find anything to say about structure don't waste time and write about 2/3 language comparisons instead

I hope this helps, I am also a y11 student so I am not perfect! If you need more help feel free to message me. Also I know this did not really answer 'how do I analyse my own texts' but is more exam help
thank you!
elandra
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Khnz)
Anyone doing blood brothers, Romeo and Juliet or a Christmas carol.
Doing A Christmas Carol, but not the other two. I’ve got Macbeth and An Inspector Calls. Very generic.
azz148
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mollygribben_)
no i don't like macbeth nearly as much, I really struggle with shakespeare aha

I prefer to analyse language rather than themes I guess

It's all about guilt, ambition etc for macbeth
I hate analysing language sm and idk why xd, I prefer just like refering to context a lot and like the writer's messages, like in Macbeth there isnt really much context if you know what I mean, like there is Divine Right of Kings, Disruption of Natural Order, James I and thats about it
Year11Student:)
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone doing a Christmas carol, animal farm, Romeo and Juliet and love and relationships poetry?
azz148
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anybody got access to any full mark essays on LOTF, J and H, Macbeth or Power and Conflict poetry that they would be willing to send me, I would love to see how it would be possible to get top marks! pls pm me if u do
5hyl33n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azz148)
Has anybody got access to any full mark essays on LOTF, J and H, Macbeth or Power and Conflict poetry that they would be willing to send me, I would love to see how it would be possible to get top marks! pls pm me if u do
I have an essay on Macbeth I could share with you. Also, if anyone needs any help with essay writing I am more than happy to help. Look above on this thread for more information on what I did for English Lit.
PizzaMan2989
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I have an essay on Macbeth I could share with you. Also, if anyone needs any help with essay writing I am more than happy to help. Look above on this thread for more information on what I did for English Lit.
Please send it to me also. Thanks!!
Jeff Curry
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can someone just give a made-up question for macbeth (that hasnt been in the exams before) cause i just cant think of one. It can be based on characters or themes in the play. Thx
iamsic
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Khnz)
Im doing R+J and Xmas Carol. Then Inspector Calls.and Power And Conflict
aishakhann
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dedication69)
i just done my mocks and for english literature paper 2 i didn’t complete section c, unseen poetry. Any advice on how to analyse your own texts?
(Original post by PizzaMan2989)
Does anyone mind giving feedback on this question, please

Compare ‘London’ and one other poem about power from the power and conflict anthology

Notably, both poems ‘London’ and ‘Checking Out My History’ explore how patriarchal society and those in power can cause problems, showing the damaging effects of exploited children.

Blake demonstrates the effect of patriarchal society and its damaging effects in “Blight with plagues the marriage hearse.” The oxymoronic device used, emphasis the corrupt nature of the time and perhaps criticises Christanitys views on marriage. A marriage which is meant to be a symbol of love, that represents happiness and joy is tarnished with the sexually transmitted diseases Blake hints at(“plagues”). It suggests to the reader that the life of “new-born infants” are “cursed” due to male-dominated society of the 1800s, creating pathos for the poor and vulnerable children.The cyclic and monotonous lives of those living in London is explored through the use of a regular ABAB rhyme scheme and regular quatrains. Perhaps Blake is acknowledging the repetitive suffering that the exploited “Chimney sweepers” and “Youthful harlots” were forced into whilst living in London during the Industrial revolution. Furthermore, it is clear by all the emphasis on suffering children that his purpose was to demonstrate the damaging impacts on child exploitation and reveal the effects of male sexual desire within a highly patriarchal society. Ultimately it also being the last line of the poem offers no hope further adumbrating the suffering. This idea that society exploits children is also evident in Agard’s ‘Checking Out Me History’: “Dem tell me bout Lord Nelson and all that..Dem tell me...Shaka the great Zulu.” The use of Agard's colloquial spellings and references to important black historical figures forces readers to acknowledge his identity; which is similar to how Blake wished for the monarchy, at the time of his writing, to acknowledge the suffering of children in London. Moreover, the repetition of the collective noun “Dem”(them) emphasises his idea that people in power can corrupt others' knowledge - evident where children in French and British Imperialist countries fail to learn about and embrace Afro-Caribbean culture. Structurally, Agard's use of enjambment reflects the angry tone of the poem where he is unable to control his emotions and in retrospect to Blake tries to show how people in power can be resisted by those being oppressed.

Ultimately, both Blake and Agard wish to express their anger towards the highly patriarchal society of the times they were writing and illustrate how they can corrupt and exploit children's lives. They both demonstrate the damaging effects of it, to the point where Blake feels as if there is no sense of hope for their futures. Agard, on the other hand, wishes to make a statement about how it is possible to fight back.
its pretty good youve articulated your points really well
did you do it in timed conditions
aishakhann
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jeff Curry)
Can someone just give a made-up question for macbeth (that hasnt been in the exams before) cause i just cant think of one. It can be based on characters or themes in the play. Thx
heres the link to loads of possible macbeth questions

https://www.stokenewingtonschool.co.uk/asset/1911
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aishakhann)
its pretty good youve articulated your points really well
did you do it in timed conditions
Tbh I rushed this quite a lot maybe 10 -15mins. Because I have a problem with writing fast(I'm not dyslexic or anything I don't think but it just takes time) I just practised to see how long it would take me. I also need to add another paragraph though, that's not enough on its own but thank you nonetheless. English has been a subject I've struggled and I'm still struggling with compared to sciences and maths so that's motivated me thanks!!
Miraj.M
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Khnz)
Blood brothers and Christmas Carol
Elzbth-.-.-G15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iamsic)
Im doing R+J and Xmas Carol. Then Inspector Calls.and Power And Conflict
I'm doing the exact same. Which is the worst for u? I'm struggling a little with a Christmas carol but only cuz i find it harder to remember quotes from prose rather than a play where I can imagine all the characters speaking their lines.
nadeenm2003
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Khnz)
I did my mock today on a Christmas Carol it was really good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills ā€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (264)
60.69%
Yes- I don't like it (21)
4.83%
No- I want it (117)
26.9%
No- I don't want it (33)