The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA French Paper 1 and 2 and 3 Revision and Study Chat

Welcome to GCSE AQA French Revision and Study Chat! :hi:

The exam timetable is:
Tuesday 12th May: Paper 1 (8658/L)
Tuesday 12th May: Paper 2 (8658/R)
Friday 15th May: Paper 3 (8658/W)

How are you feeling about these exams? Do you feel prepared? What have you started doing to prepare for your exams? Comment down below! :h:

How to prepare for exams (general tips)

This thread is for anyone studying GCSE French(AQA)
. Chat below and find other students in the same situation as you! Help each other revise, study and share resources. Good luck everyone :goodluck: :dumbells:

Scroll to see replies

Will keep updating this post with all the recommended resources, links and useful posts that are mentioned in this group :smile:

Specification: GCSE AQA French Specification

Recommended resources:

Recommended TSR resources:

Useful posts:
Reply 2
For French, I think I’m going to work through the CGP revision guide and do all the practice questions for each topic and write responses to GC questions and learn vocab on quizlet.
For French I'm going through the vocab using Memrise and tenses with Quizlet. Just started using theidealteacher.com for it's listening practise as that's bringing my grade down the most.
I probably need to start using quizlet or something because the thing that will probably help me the most is just learning vocab. That way, even if I can't remember what I prepared for the GC, I can still come up with something to say that doesn't sound incredibly simple and so I'm not just repeating myself
Reply 5
I have no idea what to do welp
ok you need to figure out which exam is your worst. if it's speaking then practise listening to yourself speaking by recording yourself to improve your punctuation. For listening I'd recommend listening to French music/movies with French and English subtitles. For example, yabla has a bunch oc listening resources though it costs money but you can a free trial first to decide if it's worth it. There's also my favourite teacher or something along those lines which has listening practise you can do. With listening you really need to train your ear so practise can only help even if it's from different exam boards. There's also listening to the news in French. No one expects you to understand all of it but you will start to be able to pick out specific words like you need to do in your listening exam and since the news is faster than the exam it'll be easier for you. For reading I'd recommend quizlet as they recycle some phrases from the vocab book and reading French newspapers or books like the little prince. I'd also recommend Memrise for its AQA GCSE French thing but has all the sections divided up this will help with the translation part. For writing it's a lot of vocab and grammar so I'd recommend using again Quizlet and Memrose or just regular flashcards with complex sentence starters and make sure you know all the tenses and irregular verbs inside out.
Reply 7
hi guys! what did you get in your mocks?
I was really dissapointed with mine. I got a 6 in reading and a 4 in listening and writing and a 3 speaking. Overall I got a 5 but I'm at a loss as to how to improve my speaking as I can't hear the flaws in my pronunciation and the writing corrections aren't the most helpful.
Reply 9
Original post by Zystinya
I was really dissapointed with mine. I got a 6 in reading and a 4 in listening and writing and a 3 speaking. Overall I got a 5 but I'm at a loss as to how to improve my speaking as I can't hear the flaws in my pronunciation and the writing corrections aren't the most helpful.

you should listen to french music or watch french movies or read french books. i'm more of a listener to music because i like music despite listening being my worst out of the 4. i've never tried the other 2, maybe you can try and see which one's best for you?
Original post by lubasud
hi guys! what did you get in your mocks?

i got a 7 in listening and 8 in reading, but idk about the rest...we have our mocks results day tomorrow
Reply 11
Original post by st15051
i got a 7 in listening and 8 in reading, but idk about the rest...we have our mocks results day tomorrow

hope you get/got the results you wanted!
Reply 12
Last year I did a bad thing... I didn't learn any of the vocal really and its coming back to bite me so now im putting a lot of my French revision into going back over the modules and learning the vocal properly. Then I answer a bunch of questions and listening tasks on active learn, I just hope it'll be enough to get me the grade I want.
Reply 13
Hey, I have super bad anxiety and had panic attacks in 2/3 of my speaking mocks and that's really brought my grade down... Any tips how to improve my confidence in the speaking or at least calm me down?
I'm so scared for french speaking, are you guys going to memorize answers to every question?
Hey guys, I'm in Year 10 and really struggling with French, do you have any tips? I'm really scared for mocks and exams next year and I need to pull up my grades!
Original post by Esha_aaaaaaaaaaa
Hey guys, I'm in Year 10 and really struggling with French, do you have any tips? I'm really scared for mocks and exams next year and I need to pull up my grades!

I just found this thread and was about to tag you in it but then saw you’d found it ahah
Original post by Rae5
I just found this thread and was about to tag you in it but then saw you’d found it ahah

Hahaha thanks for thinking of me!
For French I’m going to create answers for my speaking as its in April and I will revise vocab on quizlet every day and all
Hello :hello:
I'm a Year 10 taking French GCSE this year, I was just wondering if anybody could possibly tell me when the speaking exam dates are? :blushing:
I know the other dates, it's just that speaking is Paper 1 and I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing. :laugh:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending