Looking for advice on switching uni - how to approach?

Watch
benjs2000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I started CompSci at Kent in September and while I have been doing well academically, I dislike many of the lecturers, and the location of the uni. Worst comes to worst, I'll probably survive at Kent, but it's really not where I want to spend the next couple years.

I was looking at switching to Sussex as it's nearer to home and I enjoyed the open day there. The sticking point is that I didn't make the entry requirements originally, so was wondering whether a good grade this year at Kent will make a significant difference in my attempt to move there?
I'm currently well on track to get a First and the modules don't look too dissimilar so I was hoping I could move straight into second year, but if not then I may consider first year.

My question is how do I approach applying? I can't really put in a UCAS application now as I don't have the complete year's grades to go on. Would it be best to apply through clearing at the end of the academic year? And how much weight do 1st year Uni grades carry when considering my application?

Many thanks for any help.

Ben
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by benjs2000)
Hi,

I started CompSci at Kent in September and while I have been doing well academically, I dislike many of the lecturers, and the location of the uni. Worst comes to worst, I'll probably survive at Kent, but it's really not where I want to spend the next couple years.

I was looking at switching to Sussex as it's nearer to home and I enjoyed the open day there. The sticking point is that I didn't make the entry requirements originally, so was wondering whether a good grade this year at Kent will make a significant difference in my attempt to move there?
I'm currently well on track to get a First and the modules don't look too dissimilar so I was hoping I could move straight into second year, but if not then I may consider first year.

My question is how do I approach applying? I can't really put in a UCAS application now as I don't have the complete year's grades to go on. Would it be best to apply through clearing at the end of the academic year? And how much weight do 1st year Uni grades carry when considering my application?

Ben
Hi Ben, your first step would be to email Sussex Admissions and talk to them about it. They will want to know that you are hoping to move into Year 2 but would be prepared to go back to Year 1 if necessary, what your A level grades are and what marks you are getting in your current modules. If the two courses are similar enough, it may be possible to move into Year 2 but only Sussex can say
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by benjs2000)
Hi,

Ben
When you applied through UCAS last year you hadn’t completed your qualifications. The same is true for applying while at university.

You should RING Sussex tomorrow as they might require you to apply before the January deadline (and if that’s the case then you can’t afford a delay while you wait for them to respond to an email)
Last edited by PQ; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (426)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.43%

Watched Threads