MSc Economics Bristol a bit nervous Watch

SanFranboy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi all,

So I received a letter of acceptance from Bristol Uni at their economics department for an taught MSc course. I accepted the offer about a month ago, but now I am getting very nervous about actually starting the course in September.

I suppose I am just a bit hesitant about how prepared I am for the course. I did fine in my undergraduate work, and I really understand economics fairly well (marco is what I enjoy) and currently I am reviewing my intermediate macroeconomics book and will be starting my intermediate micro as well. However I am really nervous about the maths portion, seeing as how I have not done any calculus math in about two years. My undergraduate degree (which I got in the states) did a good job, but I've forgot most of it. I also never took a stats course because I did not have to, and frankly did not have the time for it. How much math do I need to review before hand? Bristol is offering a math review session as a requirment for all incoming grad students, does anyone know how extensive these things are? I am sure they are good but it must be very crash course.

Maybe I am just being nervous for nothing, but I really want to do well. If anyone for Bristol or any other university that has done a Masters in Economics can help me out on what I need that would be great, and how hard these courses get? Thanks for the help.
TSRreader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't worry too much, I am sure that maths camp will patch you up with what you need to know. It would be good to do some revision on calculus but I don't think they expect you to know multivariate calculus or Real analysis. Unlike the states, most of UK Economic graduate haven't done serious (pure) mathematical courses during undergraduate.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Here is the msc econ guide I wrote:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post10923238

If you answer the questions either by pm or online I will let you know what I think.

Have you applied elsewhere?

What are your long term aims?
What dod you want out of the course?

(Original post by TSRreader)
Don't worry too much, I am sure that maths camp will patch you up with what you need to know. .
I suspect not. These short pres-sessional maths courses are pretty nominal: if you don't know the material well at the beginning you will not have a good understanding at the end.
(Original post by TSRreader)
It would be good to do some revision on calculus but I don't think they expect you to know multivariate calculus or Real analysis. Unlike the states, most of UK Economic graduate haven't done serious (pure) mathematical courses during undergraduate.
Warwick undergraduate covers multivariate calculus but not real analysis. However the warwick msc covers both.
TSRreader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Did the Warwick undergraduate cover it as applied maths or pure maths (with proofs etc)?
barry_4_england
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm pretty sure you would need to be able to do multivariate calculus! I haven't done any real analysis in the Economics part of my degree (have done in the Maths side obviously), but I would expect both to be in an MSc.
SanFranboy
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thanks for the help everyone. I wish I could worry a little less but kind of need to do even more revision now it seems.

PaulWhy - I applied only to Bristol, because thats where I really wanted to go. My long term plan is to working on the development side of economics, primarily on macroeconomic reforms and restructuring of developing countries. Think World Bank, or some non-profit NGO.

As for your list, I kind of half answered yes to everything other than the stats section. I have seen almost everything,you had on your maths list, but like I said I have not done it all in a very long time (when I think about it, its been three years actually since I've done pure calculus), and have almost forgotten the how to do most of it. Macro I should be fine because of my intermediate macro text, which is quite good. Micro I am a bit hesitant on, I know I can do everything on the list after some extensive review. Game theory for example was brushed by in my intermediate micro class, so we only really did basics for it, that might be somewhat troublesome.

I guess I have to ask now generally to anyone, but how hard do these courses get? Lets say I review extensively from now and and feel somewhat prepared (somewhat being the key word). Are UK MSc courses similar in structure to UK undergraduate system, in which there is allot of hands off from the professors unless you come to them with questions and help? I only ask because in the US when you go for a masters, the school simply assumes you need to review everything (hence two years almost all the time, with exceptions depending with certain programs)? I would assume that there will be students who, unlike me, have taken a few years between their undergraduate and postgraduate careers? Is everyone just expected to have a strong base right from the get-go, I just find it hard to believe there is such a step learning curve, without some transitional period? Again thanks so much for the help, do appreciate it.

P.S. sorry for the long reply
e-lover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good luck at Bristol. It's a truly beautiful university
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SanFranboy)
As for your list, I kind of half answered yes to everything other than the stats section.
As you have not give detailed answer hard to comment (but I suspect that you are the kind of person who will struggle (half yes and no to stats does not sound good to me) but pass eventually after resits.

And what did you cover for stats?

I have seen almost everything,you had on your maths list, but like I said I have not done it all in a very long time (when I think about it, its been three years actually since I've done pure calculus), and have almost forgotten the how to do most of it.
That has to be a concern.

Macro I should be fine because of my intermediate macro text, which is quite good.
So what did u cover for macro?

Micro I am a bit hesitant on, I know I can do everything on the list after some extensive review. Game theory for example was brushed by in my intermediate micro class, so we only really did basics for it, that might be somewhat troublesome.
Game Theory will be one area of weakness then.

I guess I have to ask now generally to anyone, but how hard do these courses get? Lets say I review extensively from now and and feel somewhat prepared (somewhat being the key word). Are UK MSc courses similar in structure to UK undergraduate system, in which there is allot of hands off from the professors unless you come to them with questions and help? I only ask because in the US when you go for a masters, the school simply assumes you need to review everything (hence two years almost all the time, with exceptions depending with certain programs)? I would assume that there will be students who, unlike me, have taken a few years between their undergraduate and postgraduate careers? Is everyone just expected to have a strong base right from the get-go, I just find it hard to believe there is such a step learning curve, without some transitional period? Again thanks so much for the help, do appreciate it.

P.S. sorry for the long reply
Basic issue is that the course does not start from where you are. Msc course will assume you need basically no review. and there will be no tolerance for students who have studied different syllabuses at other universities.

It terms of what you can do to prepare get hold of the Bristol undergraduate texts and study seriously. This is because the Bristol Msc will follow on nicely from the Bristol BSc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?