Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so just now at the dinner table, I had a bit of an argument with my parents, which ended up with my Dad calling me a selfish, spoilt brat.

It all came about because he suggested, or rather stated, that when my parents' friends come to stay over on Saturday night, that they wouls sleep in my bed. I know these people...when we went to their house, they wore dirty clothes and their bathroom was absolutely filthy. The woman jokingly said that because she's lazy and has 'better things to do', she sometimes doesn't wash every day. The man had really bad BO when I met him. I don't want people like this sleeping in my bed, because I think it's really gross...I understand that bedsheets can be washed and stuff like that, but I really don't want dirty people to sleep in my bed. Their children have headlice, so most likely the woman at least has them too. I personally think that's really gross - would you want someone like that to sleep in your room, let alone your bed?

So I was wondering if TSR-ians would have the same reaction as my Dad, and think that I'm being incredibly selfish.

When considering your answer, do so in the knowledge that in my house we have not just 1 but 2 sofabeds as well as a 3 huge normal sofas that they could sleep on. But just because I'm going to a sleepover my Dad thinks they can have my nice clean bed. I'm really obsessive obout cleanliness and tidyness (yes I have OCD) too, so it's even more of an issue for me.

Do people see my point of view here? Is it me who's being selfish, or is it, as I argued to my father, unreasonable of him to expect me to let people that he knows I don't like, are unclean and messy sleep in bedroom, especially considering how much of a problem he knows it causes me and the fact that there are lots of other places that they can sleep?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?

I think you're overreacting. I'm sure you won't get AIDS or something if they sleep in your room, for one night. "Grow up" comes to mind. Instead of getting all haughty about it, just talk to your parents friends about it. You could do something like setting up the sofa bed and being like "hey, I made your bed for you...".

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing though, I won't be there. I don't want to come home on Sunday morning and have my room totally stink and have to steam clean my mattress.
    Overreacting...? OCD. I don't see at as overreacting to object to having foul people sleep in my bed!

ReputationRep:
    As much as I hate it.
    I don't really think it's right to show guests the sofas, even if they are larger than normal. The sofabed sound alright depending on what they are like...

Apart from that.... What can you do?

PS. I think it's a fallacy to assume that these people are going to be filthy when staying over at your home.

ReputationRep:
    I think what your dad said is a bit harsh. I can see your point of view, but maybe your dad is frustrated because he feels torn between having to accommodate guests and not upsetting you? Maybe that's why he said that just in the heat of the moment and I'm sure he didn't mean it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. ok it sounds that you are overreacting a bit, but tbh I'd hate it too. Ask your dad to sleep in your bed and his guests can have his bed

ReputationRep:
    Even if they were clean people I wouldn't give them my bed to sleep in if I were there. Now taking into account they have headlice, I wouldn't let them in my home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Okay, so just now at the dinner table, I had a bit of an argument with my parents, which ended up with my Dad calling me a selfish, spoilt brat.

It all came about because he suggested, or rather stated, that when my parents' friends come to stay over on Saturday night, that they wouls sleep in my bed. I know these people...when we went to their house, they wore dirty clothes and their bathroom was absolutely filthy. The woman jokingly said that because she's lazy and has 'better things to do', she sometimes doesn't wash every day. The man had really bad BO when I met him. I don't want people like this sleeping in my bed, because I think it's really gross...I understand that bedsheets can be washed and stuff like that, but I really don't want dirty people to sleep in my bed. Their children have headlice, so most likely the woman at least has them too. I personally think that's really gross - would you want someone like that to sleep in your room, let alone your bed?

So I was wondering if TSR-ians would have the same reaction as my Dad, and think that I'm being incredibly selfish.

When considering your answer, do so in the knowledge that in my house we have not just 1 but 2 sofabeds as well as a 3 huge normal sofas that they could sleep on. But just because I'm going to a sleepover my Dad thinks they can have my nice clean bed. I'm really obsessive obout cleanliness and tidyness (yes I have OCD) too, so it's even more of an issue for me.

Do people see my point of view here? Is it me who's being selfish, or is it, as I argued to my father, unreasonable of him to expect me to let people that he knows I don't like, are unclean and messy sleep in bedroom, especially considering how much of a problem he knows it causes me and the fact that there are lots of other places that they can sleep?

i am just like you, but it doesnt matter... just clean the place up after..it wont harm you..i complain, but only to myself, and then just clean up after them. I have even had complete strangers sleeping in my bed, when im not around or allow them to stay there, by strangers i mean a relative who i never knew i had or one of my dads waiters from work. i mean theyr guests, why should they sleep on sofa beds, when a normal bed is available. your dad probably said it in anger, but didnt mean it to be that harsh. my brother even has a bunk bed, he sleeps in his, and one is left free..i still wont give that place to a guest, id give up my bed, as its more homely and nice.

dw

ReputationRep:
    If you will be away then I think your Dad is right in essence even though he overreacted. If you were actually going to be staying there I could agree with you, I wouldn't give my bed up for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Why is your family inviting filthy people into your home?!

ReputationRep:
    I can see your point, but Is their any thing really you can do about it, except try and explain to your parents why you don't want them sleeping in your bed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoobla)
    Why is your family inviting filthy people into your home?!
    That's a very good question!
    I think they feel obligated to return an invitation to dinner, but they kicked up a fuss and said it's too far to go 'all the way to your house and back in a day, we'll have to stay over' so they basically invited themselves. All this despite the fact that when we went to their [filthy yucky house] we had to drive there and back in a day...if we can do it then I think they can too. They have no real reason to stay over.

What can I do about it? I'm not sure.
    I'm thinking at the moment that I'm going to barricade my room shut, or weave a web of rope all around my staircase up to my room so that they can't physically pass without a big knife.
    Or maybe I'll actually not sleep over at my friend's house tomorrow and come home at 2 am and if they're there be like GET THE **** OUT OF MY BED then wake up the whole house with the steam cleaner for a good hour or so, so I can sterilise everything. I do it once a week anyway, I'll just say I've got insomnia and had cleaning urges again :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    2bh I'd be pissed off if my parents did that. Let them sleep on the sofa-bed lol, it's your bed, you do what you want :P

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it will do you good to just let this go and have them sleep in your bed?

ReputationRep:
    I would never allow it in my bed, but I'm a spoiled only child and there are other places for visiters to stay...

ReputationRep:
    Get them to sleep on the floor.

ReputationRep:
    Think of it the other way round OP. How would you want to be treated?

My room is literally a bed, a floor, and a window. I'd be more than happy to give what i've got to accommodate friends.

Forget about cleanliness, value them for the friendship you have with them.

I do agree with the essence of what you're dads saying, but i'm a bit reluctant to say anything more since I dont want to sound like an arse .

Having said that though, your dad doesnt really need to be so silly about it. Maybe he should give up his bed. That way your OCD is satisfied, and your guests get a nice bed .

ReputationRep:
    The OP would look like such a tool if their parents gave up their bed without any complaints.

But usually there are practical reasons not to let the guests stay in the master bedroom considering the things inside there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    The OP would look like such a tool if their parents gave up their bed without any complaints.

But usually there are practical reasons not to let the guests stay in the master bedroom considering the things inside there.
    True. If the guests understood the OCD condition then I guess that would seem less bad.

Ah but theres an equal chance there are other certain things inside the OPs room :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    True. If the guests understood the OCD condition then I guess that would seem less bad.

Ah but theres an equal chance there are other certain things inside the OPs room :yep:
    With regards to your point about friendship...I don't like these people at all. To be honest I don't understand why my parents do either. I'd happily let someone I cared about sleep in my bed, someone who I know is clean, in fact when I have sleepovers because I have a double bed I'll often share with a friend and bring in extra airbeds and things in my room. It's these particular people who are dirty and who I don't like, sleeping in my bed, that I have a problem with.

I don't have a problem with normal, clean people, and I happily let people stay over, even though I still clean afterwards. I hate these people.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.