Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Instruct your parents to hose them down in the garden before they go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    With regards to your point about friendship...I don't like these people at all. To be honest I don't understand why my parents do either. I'd happily let someone I cared about sleep in my bed, someone who I know is clean, in fact when I have sleepovers because I have a double bed I'll often share with a friend and bring in extra airbeds and things in my room. It's these particular people who are dirty and who I don't like, sleeping in my bed, that I have a problem with.

I don't have a problem with normal, clean people, and I happily let people stay over, even though I still clean afterwards. I hate these people.

ah thats a shame to hear .

If you're looking for it, the only piece of advice I could offer is to have a word with your parents.

That doesnt mean arguing, or raising voices.

Simply explain to them as calmly as possible that you cannot stand uncleanliness, and that its not your fault you are like that. Remind them that you are in fact a generous, kind person by recalling these sleepovers you've just told us.

In the end, it is up to your dad, there isnt really a clever way around this.

Respect whatever his decision is, and he will remember that in the future.

Also try to remember that its your dad thats hosting and I imagine he will dislike it much like you do (although since he doesnt sound like he has OCD for cleanliness, he may not understand!) .

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    With regards to your point about friendship...I don't like these people at all. To be honest I don't understand why my parents do either. I'd happily let someone I cared about sleep in my bed, someone who I know is clean, in fact when I have sleepovers because I have a double bed I'll often share with a friend and bring in extra airbeds and things in my room. It's these particular people who are dirty and who I don't like, sleeping in my bed, that I have a problem with.

I don't have a problem with normal, clean people, and I happily let people stay over, even though I still clean afterwards. I hate these people.
    Do you think they'd be dirty when they arrive at your home?

ReputationRep:
    I can understand because some people are like that but they tend to be very messed up people. I find it difficult that your parentals would associate with such disguisting people, and invite them into the family home and such.

I do however think its a tad wrong to assume they have lice because their children have had headlice in the past.

OCD though, i suggest you see someone about that. It can be a bit of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Do you think they'd be dirty when they arrive at your home?
    They didn't make an effort when we went to their house for lunch, and when I saw them when I was at the wedding of another of my parents' friends, the woman had greasy hair. If she wouldn't make an effort for that...
    *shudders to think what she'd be like only to be a house guest* AND HEADLICE! HEADLICE! EEEEW! What if they give them to my cat? My cat sleeps on my bed, I don't want her catching headlice, not to mention the fact that they could drop one on my carpet or something

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like it either. But then looking from your parents' point of view I think it wouldn't be very nice to ask guests to sleep on the sofa when there's an empty bed available.

ReputationRep:
    They didn't make an effort when we went to their house for lunch, and when I saw them when I was at the wedding of another of my parents' friends, the woman had greasy hair. If she wouldn't make an effort for that...
    *shudders to think what she'd be like only to be a house guest* AND HEADLICE! HEADLICE! EEEEW! What if they give them to my cat? My cat sleeps on my bed, I don't want her catching headlice, not to mention the fact that they could drop one on my carpet or something
    Well... people generally are more relaxed at home....

ReputationRep:
    Cats get fleas not headlice. Please take my advice about seeing someone, i'm not saying that to be funny. I'm concerned you just seem to be creating alot scenario's out of some very small things, and you've admitted yourself to having OCD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apresmoi)
    Cats get fleas not headlice. Please take my advice about seeing someone, i'm not saying that to be funny. I'm concerned you just seem to be creating alot scenario's out of some very small things, and you've admitted yourself to having OCD.
    I know I know but I really can't help it
    I only found out I had it properly a couple of months ago and CBT doesn't seem to be doing much. I'm scared of dirty things. I don't want dirty things in my bed in case I get ill or something or germs get into me.
    And what if they decided to do things in my bed. My room is pure and I want to keep it that way.

ReputationRep:
    Have you told your parents this is how you feel?
    Do they know you have OCD?

ReputationRep:
    My Dad thinks I'm crazy, my mum understands properly. I talked to her and she said she'd do some pillow talk and get him to agree that they can't sleep in my room.
    Thanks for help, everyone

ReputationRep:
    You're not overreacting, my mums sort of clean friends came to stay and I was like =| =| =| =| cause they had to stay in my bed. I dunno I don't mean to be horrible and you probably don't either, I just hate the idea of it eugh. I hate staying round other peoples houses and having to stay in their beds, and guest bedrooms terrify me because I have no idea who their other guests could have been GAH I feel terrible thinking so badly of people but it's not them it's just I actually can't cope. I think I might have slight OCD..

If I were you, I would try and reason with your dad, if that fails you could completely mess up your room so that it would be ruder to put them in there than on the sofa bed haha
    Or just don't go to the sleepover maybe?

ReputationRep:
    TBH I'd be freaked out if someone who I thought might have headlice was sleeping in my bed, on my pillows, on my sheets.

The eggs get everywhere! Ugh, it's making me itch just thinking about it. I don't have OCD or cleanliness issues, so OP I think you're overreacting with the 'purity' thing but the headlice are a real concern so try that argument with your dad.

ReputationRep:
    Does your family not have a guest bedroom? I can understand your concerns though. My parents have a rule in our house: even though they might have paid for something, once they've given it as a present or a gift to myself or siblings, that object - be it a bed or a desk or a cupboard - remains inviolably that person's. They have absolute say in how it is used, and my parents don't pull the "we paid for it, ergo we should use it card" out on principle.

It seems your parents assume that because you let your friends and trusted family friends sleep in your bed, it means that the same goes for untrusted friends, which is the case here. If your parents know you have OCD and a cleanliness fetish, they should be understanding. Your suspicion of their not only being dirty but also having headlice is absolutely understandable; as Mata said, impress this on your dad. Show him this TSR thread if necessary.

I would personally hate anyone that isn't a family member sleeping in my bed. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    I know you have OCD, but OP you do sound like you're over-reacting a bit. All right, I don't know these people but you seem to be making assumptions, eg. the kids had headlice at one point (most kids have headlice at some point), so the parents will now; they don't wash everyday, so they won't wash before coming to your house. Besides, bed sheets can be washed - or thrown away even - and they will be in conact with them for... 8 hours, maximum, probably.

It seems that maybe your Dad is trying to show you that your reaction is abnormal and suggest that you need to face your OCD rather than let it rule your life. Usual behaviour would be to put guests in a bed if there is one free, and your OCD prevents you from carrying out normal behaviour. I'm not saying that this "Confront it head on!" attitude is sensetive or helpful, but it might be the only way your dad knows.

I think basically what I'm saying is I would consider your reaction to be over the top and selfish on an average spectrum of behaviour. It might not be in terms of your own personal behaviour. This doesn't mean you should give in if it will truly upset you. But you should probably be aware that you are making some irrational judgements and accusations, and that your illness is clouding your reactions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.