Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started a temp job a few weeks ago, in a council office, administrating and maintaing systems, application and general user support.

Thought I'd get a bit of money in, bit of office experience and something to keep me busy before i start uni in September.. BUT

I love it there. The job is available to apply for permanently but my dad (also the head of that team) has said that i need to get my degree. Other people from the office have also said to him that i'd be wasted there.

Does it matter that something doesn't challenge you as long as you enjoy it?

Should i get my degree or apply for the permanent position?

Any ideas. I want to go to uni, but i really really want this job

I'm so torn.. help?

ReputationRep:
    Stay on as part time and go to uni. See what else you enjoy first

ReputationRep:
    If your dad's head of the team surely he just won't give you the job if he doesn't want you working there. As CJ99 said, see if you can keep it part-time and try out Uni. If you were to take the job full time, what would be your career progression, where would you realistically be in 3 years and in 10 years?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Why not defer your entry to University and work there for a year?

ReputationRep:
    I quite like my job, too, but I've decided to only work on holidays and get a degree from uni. I can then go back to work in customer service for some years, but probably when I get older I'll want to do something else - and for then, I'll have a degree ready so I'm not confined to my current job.

I'd recommend you getting a degree and then maybe going to work permanently where you currently work. If after a decade there you find you want something else, you'll have a degree ready.

ReputationRep:
    It not the kind of job I can do part time which sucks. That and it's in york and uni will be in Hull. nor is it the type of job I can go back to in the holidays so it really is all or nothing. I considered taking a gap year.. but i know i want a degree at some point, so it wouldn't be fair to take the the job and leave in a year

ReputationRep:
    Considering all the threads about wasted years at University I would give it very serious consideration.

If it is a permanent full time job with some prospects and a decent wage, would you be in a position to get a better job after completing your degree.

If you just want a degree there are so many opportunities for flexible/part-time/distance learning these days make sure you weigh up all the pros and cons before you commit.

Tom

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.