The Student Room Group

Hep B and blood test

My GP won't give me a blood test for Varicella which I need for uni and they won't give me hep B vaccines either. They refused private as well.
The cheapest private is £150 for hep B and idk where to get varicella done.
I contacted the uni and they said go private however if I really couldn't then occupational health would do it but this may mess up my placement as it is a 6 month course and I may not be allowed.
I'm so stressed.
Can you not check with occupational health yourself?

I work for the NHS and when I had my immunisations I had to have Hep B injections but in terms of varicella, they just wanted verbal confirmation from me that I had previously had chicken pox and that was more than acceptable to them.
Original post by stepheds
Can you not check with occupational health yourself?

I work for the NHS and when I had my immunisations I had to have Hep B injections but in terms of varicella, they just wanted verbal confirmation from me that I had previously had chicken pox and that was more than acceptable to them.

I haven't had chicken pox though so I need the blood test.
What uni is it? Most unis will have access to their own occ health system. I know mine only charge if you miss an appointment.
Original post by stepheds
What uni is it? Most unis will have access to their own occ health system. I know mine only charge if you miss an appointment.

The uni said OH would do it but only if I really couldn't afford it as there are 3 placements in first year and getting it when I start could interfere with my placements.
Reply 5
you must be protected ie have the 3rd and the bloodtest to confirm immunity. before you can go on placement. it maybe easier to just be immunized for chickenpox. remember if the test shows low immunity you need a 4th jab.
Original post by paub
you must be protected ie have the 3rd and the bloodtest to confirm immunity. before you can go on placement. it maybe easier to just be immunized for chickenpox. remember if the test shows low immunity you need a 4th jab.

So should I just pay for it and forget waiting to go to uni for them to do it for free.
That's annoying, I don't have the money for it.
Reply 7
Original post by AmberDalia
So should I just pay for it and forget waiting to go to uni for them to do it for free.
That's annoying, I don't have the money for it.

when i went many years ago occy health sorted it. contact them directly and the trust were your going to be working. your at risk, so if needs be your gp should do it. you must have been offered and accepted a place.
Original post by paub
when i went many years ago occy health sorted it. contact them directly and the trust were your going to be working. your at risk, so if needs be your gp should do it. you must have been offered and accepted a place.

Go is saying occupational health should do it and won't even do the blood test. Phones the uni and talked to the head of nursing who said it really should be done before coming uni even if it is private and that If I leave it to occupational health then there is a risk that I will miss placement
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending