The Student Room Group

Is incest always "wrong&quot ;?

Poll

Is such a specific relationship objectively wrong?

READ THIS BEFORE VOTING...

Please read this next bit carefully, and only vote on the basis of what is written there. Thanks.

Is a consensual, fully informed, adult sexual relationship between siblings, where there is no possibility of offspring, "objectively wrong"?
We're not talking about the "eew factor", or the law or religious objections or social taboos or even whether you would condone it or not.
Simply, are there any objective reasons why such a relationship is fundamentally unacceptable and should be prohibited?

Edit: It seems some people are objecting on genetic abnormalities in offspring. That is not a factor in this scenario.
Edit 2: Others are objecting because the "eew factor". That is a subjective emotional response.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No.

It's only wrong because it's socially viewed as wrong, and rightly so.
i’ve always wondered the same thing. like i get it, family shouldn’t be romanticised or sexual, but if both parties aren’t going to make babies and they both ‘“love’” each other...it isn’t my business...
and i don’t get the thing between cousins either. like you’re barely related??? we all started from incest?
doesn’t mean i’ll do it, i do think it’s gross, but at the same time i think people...hmm... overreact over it, especially as it isn’t common. feel free to @ me though 😂
Original post by watershower
and i don’t get the thing between cousins either. like you’re barely related??? we all started from incest?
doesn’t mean i’ll do it, i do think it’s gross, but at the same time i think people...hmm... overreact over it, especially as it isn’t common. feel free to @ me though 😂

@watershower
(edited 4 years ago)

damn i didn’t mean literally 🤣🤣🤣
Yes, I believe it is always wrong although there is no need for the general hysteria or moral outrage.

Whether it's same sex full siblings, opposite sex half siblings over the age of 70 or sterile 20 year old siblings.
Often indicative of an insular, tribalist mindset or enthusiasm for a pattern of disturbed or destructive conduct.
Similar attitude towards consensual adult incest that does not involve reproducing with other close biological relatives (ancestors, aunts/uncles, cousins).
Reply 6
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, I believe it is always wrong although there is no need for the general hysteria or moral outrage.

Whether it's same sex full siblings, opposite sex half siblings over the age of 70 or sterile 20 year old siblings.
Often indicative of an insular, tribalist mindset or enthusiasm for a pattern of disturbed or destructive conduct.
Similar attitude towards consensual adult incest that does not involve reproducing with other close biological relatives (ancestors, aunts/uncles, cousins).

Yes, but why do you think it is always objectively wrong. I understand (and even share) the discomfort most people have regarding such issues, but I'm trying to find out what's justifying it. I personally struggle to come up with any objective reason against that specific example I presented.
How about adopted siblings?
Reply 7
I think it’s wrong as the gene pool is so limited, there is a very high probability that the child has birth defects and genetic disorders. Regardless of the societal and cultural influences, consciously knowing that your child would suffer from these horrible diseases I don’t believe is justifiable.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think it should be a taboo cuz it's kinda disgusting. The idea of sleeping with someone you grew up with and share blood, personally im not a big fan of the.
Reply 9
Original post by QE2
Yes, but why do you think it is always objectively wrong. I understand (and even share) the discomfort most people have regarding such issues, but I'm trying to find out what's justifying it. I personally struggle to come up with any objective reason against that specific example I presented.

Why, because of the genetic and biological factors of birth defects and genetic disorders.
Reply 10
As it’s described in the bold text of the OP, I have no problem with it.
Original post by Deggs_14
I think it’s wrong as the gene pool is so limited, there is a very high probability that the child has birth defects and genetic disorders. Regardless of the societal and cultural influences, consciously knowing that your child would suffer from these horrible diseases I don’t believe is justifiable.

"where there is no possibility of conception"
I think it is wrong but what if one is adopted, so if they're unrelated?
The ew factor is enuff
Reply 14
Why, because of the genetic and biological factors of birth defects and genetic disorders.

Obviously, but the specific example I gave ruled that out.
This is only about that particular scenario.
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous

What do you mean?
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous

Oh so do you mean with contraception?
Oh so do you mean with contraception?

No the OP meant where there is NO chances of a pregnancy.
I don't think incest is inherently wrong, but there is significant risk of grooming. For example an older sibling who played a significant role in caring who a younger sibling could've groomed the younger sibling into being their partner. I am sure there incestuous relationships out there with healthy power dynamics and mutual respect, but the problem is that most incestuous relationships have imbalanced power dynamics.
Original post by QE2

Probably the insular self-contained tribalist 'closed to outsiders' mentality arising from it and leading to it, something of a circle.

Adopted sibling adults that are not biologically related to each other is not objectively wrong.
But I do find it subjectively creepy and a hallmark of a dysfunctional family.
Probably something of a badge of honour in Woody Allen and Soon-Yi's family. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending