The Student Room Group

PG award

I have mean of 47% in all my taught modules (because of a level 6 module). I'm sure I will reach over 50 after my dissertation results are out. Will I still be awarded a master's degree?
Original post by Spartan 420
I have mean of 47% in all my taught modules (because of a level 6 module). I'm sure I will reach over 50 after my dissertation results are out. Will I still be awarded a master's degree?

read your unis regulations, each uni will have a slight different rule on this, I would say most unis will require you to pass the vast majority of credits... I would be amazed if you could have more then 20 credits below 50% and still have a masters.

But as i say go through the official regulations your uni outline, it will have a set of black & white regulations somewhere.

Depends entirely on your University regulations. Look it up in the student handbook or on the Uni website.
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
read your unis regulations, each uni will have a slight different rule on this, I would say most unis will require you to pass the vast majority of credits... I would be amazed if you could have more then 20 credits below 50% and still have a masters.

But as i say go through the official regulations your uni outline, it will have a set of black & white regulations somewhere.

I have passed all the modules though. The level 6 module was capped at 40, which sort of brings my average down to about 47%
I have passed all the modules though. The level 6 module was capped at 40, which sort of brings my average down to about 47%

well if the regulations enabled you to take a module where the mark is capped at 40%, then I dont know, this is an unusual scenario. GO through the regulations, if you are still confused request clarification from your course director, student services etc.

It is unusual to pass modules at master's level with under 50%, hence why we're confused. Is this at a university in the UK?
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
It is unusual to pass modules at master's level with under 50%, hence why we're confused. Is this at a university in the UK?

Yes mate. I was allowed to take a level 6 module (3rd year undergrad module) and I had to resit that. It was capped at 40.
Yes mate. I was allowed to take a level 6 module (3rd year undergrad module) and I had to resit that. It was capped at 40.

So what did you get in your other modules? And does this level 6 module count towards your master's result?

So the reason its capped is because you had to resit it and the module is resit capped at 40..., not primarily because its a 3rd year module.

I suspect in this case how many credits the module is worth and the unis regulation. How many credits is the module? and what uni is this?
Reply 9
Original post by PhoenixFortune
So what did you get in your other modules? And does this level 6 module count towards your master's result?

Basically, I had to resit most of modules due to which most are capped. I managed to get 65+ in all the resits but I don't think that would change anything.
The level 6 module does count towards my master's result. In a physics masters, you're allowed take 2 level 6 modules (30 credits in total).

Due to the capping, my mean is around 47%
Although my dissertation would help me reach a 50, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to get a 50 (mean)i the taught modules as well to be awarded a master's degree.
Basically, I had to resit most of modules due to which most are capped. I managed to get 65+ in all the resits but I don't think that would change anything.
The level 6 module does count towards my master's result. In a physics masters, you're allowed take 2 level 6 modules (30 credits in total).

Due to the capping, my mean is around 47%
Although my dissertation would help me reach a 50, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to get a 50 (mean)i the taught modules as well to be awarded a master's degree.

As they are already capped, getting over 65 in your resits won't mean anything.

If they are master's level modules, they should be capped at 50 - any level 6 modules would be capped at 40.

You'll need to ask your university specifically about whether you need 50% across all elements, or whether a 50% average is acceptable.
Original post by mnot
So the reason its capped is because you had to resit it and the module is resit capped at 40..., not primarily because its a 3rd year module.

I suspect in this case how many credits the module is worth and the unis regulation. How many credits is the module? and what uni is this?

Actually no. The level 7 modules are usually capped at 50.
But all the modules carry 15 credits (level 6 and 7).
Original post by mnot
well if the regulations enabled you to take a module where the mark is capped at 40%, then I dont know, this is an unusual scenario. GO through the regulations, if you are still confused request clarification from your course director, student services etc.

I did read up the regulations finally. It said I should get an average of 50 across the stage. I guess that includes the dissertation as well?
I did read up the regulations finally. It said I should get an average of 50 across the stage. I guess that includes the dissertation as well?

I presume so, yes. Usually the dissertation is a chance to bring your marks right up, as it's usually worth more than a standard module (my MA modules were worth 20 credits each, but my dissertation was worth 60 credits).
Actually no. The level 7 modules are usually capped at 50.
But all the modules carry 15 credits (level 6 and 7).

What i mean is they automatically cap at 40 for resits, as it is available for 3rd year undergrads hence the module conveyor had to set this rule. However had you passed first time the mark would not have been capped...

Either way it sounds like you've figured it out now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending