The Student Room Group

How to become a charted accountant?

I’m in year 11 and I’m curious in charted accountancy however I have no clue how to become one or what subjects I need, uni and other exams. Could someone please structure it all out from gcse all the way to become an actual charted accountant. Obviously there isn’t one specific way but I’d like to know how long it would take me roughly to become one and what is expected of a charted accountant.
Reply 1
Most people will become chartered accountants whilst training with a company. Most people will therefore either join through a school leaver (i.e. post A-level) or graduate route.

GCSE - I'd say all you need is good enough GCSEs to be able to get into a college that offers A levels, and some firms will specify a pass in English and Maths

A Levels - if you want to join a firm through the school leaver route then it doesn't actually matter what subjects you pick, you just have to make sure you meet the grade requirements. My firm's requirements are currently 3 A levels A*-C so not too challenging. You might want to pick accounting to get a basic understanding of double entry and accounting standards but it's by no means necessary, I didn't do accounting A level as my college didn't even offer it. Firms may be a little confused if you've done drama, music and art and decide to apply for a school leaver scheme but if you demonstrate an interest in an accounting career then it wouldn't hold you back - so many people at my firm did completely irrelevant subjects. If you are wanting to go down the graduate route then you need to think about what degree you're interested in and pick your A levels based on this - I didn't go to uni so I am no help with this sorry.

Degree - only needed if you want to go the graduate route (which means it will take you longer to become chartered and you will have tuition fees, but on the flipside a degree could be useful in the future if you decide to move out of the finance sector or may be worth pursuing if you feel particularly strongly about having the uni experience). Again, you don't actually need to study an accounting degree, people at my firm have all sorts of degrees like physics and music. You just need to meet the grade requirements (generally 2:1 or better although some places will accept a 2:2).

After this you just need to complete the professional exams for whatever accounting qualification you're going for. There are loads of different ones like ACA, ACCA, CIMA, etc. and which one you do depends on which area of accounting you are looking to work in and what your company offers, this is something you should look into yourself as there are pros and cons to each qualification. Essentially though, whichever qualification you do you will be considered 'chartered' at the end of it.

If you have any further questions let me know, I am fully ACA-exam qualified and started as a school leaver in audit in 2015 so should be able to help.

Btw, I would strongly recommend you look into summer school programmes at accountancy firms. Most of these run in the summer between Year 12 and Year 13 but there might be some that target those who have just finished their GCSEs. This can give you some good experience and will usually give you an easier route into starting as a school leaver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending