The Student Room Group

Even if someone doesn't fancy you, why can't they look at you?

I had someone who I used to go to high school with, and lives near me, over to play some Wii today. He didn't seem nervous with me, but at the same time I'd say his eye contact was about 1/3 of mine; I always tend to look, and hold the eyes (or stay looking at their face) of someone I'm talking to (unless we're both concentrating on something else) and normally someone will turn to look at you as well when you're engaged in conversation - but he was just looking at the TV for a lot of the time when I was looking at/talking to him.

I would hugely doubt that this is some secret sign he 'fancies' me, so what could the other reasons be? Was it just general nerves? But then, why would you be nervous with someone you didn't like (in that way)? Just curious as to find out what people think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some people find it hard to maintain eye contact in general, regardless of whether they like a person romantically or not. I personally am terrible for it- no idea why, but it find it really hard to do. :p: I can assure you that I find it just as hard with friends, family, interviewers and so on as I do for people I like; there's no connection between the two.
Reply 2
I'm crap at eye contact; I probably appear autistic! Some people are just useless at it! :biggrin:
Perhaps he's shy, was nervous or even felt a bit awkward.
Reply 4
Yeah it was probably shyness, I can never make eye contact when I'm feeling like that.
Reply 5
Maintaining contact shows you're confident.

Think he's just a lil shy, if i'd been invited round a girls house for some wii i'd be pretty shy!
Reply 6
I do maintain eye contact at times but sometimes it just gets creepy in long conversations, especially with teachers :p:
Reply 7
I once had a boyfriend who was so shy, he couldn't even look me in the eye for more than a few seconds.
He might just be that painfully shy.
Reply 8
Ad-Alta

I would hugely doubt that this is some secret sign he 'fancies' me, so what could the other reasons be? Was it just general nerves? But then, why would you be nervous with someone you didn't like (in that way)? Just curious as to find out what people think.

It's enough for a shy person to think you're very attractive and he'll try to avoid eye contact with you.
I got asked by my supervisor if I was listening to him...I usually never do eye contact when I'm listening to instructions...I never thought people thought it was rude until someone mentioned it, but maybe it was just them thinking that...I think people have different ways of listening to someone...actually it could be nerves...I get scared sometimes talking to girls, well actually I feel knocked down by people online alot of the time that in the real world I feel down to even talk to girls...if anyone wants me to tell them why, please pm and I will talk because I need to straighten my head out...it's happened 3 times this week.
Reply 10
maybe he was just really into the tv..
He might have gozzy eyes or something.

You might have had something on your nose.
Reply 12
Jessaay!
I do maintain eye contact at times but sometimes it just gets creepy in long conversations, especially with teachers :p:

Lol i'm the same, after a few minutes i'm a goner, and have to look down at my work or out of the class room window, I probably look like i'm not listening but oh well.
Reply 13
Eye contact is so intense.
I like to maintain eye contact, however constant non stop eye contact can be awkward whether you "fancy" someone or not. Personally I look away every so often, due to the fear of appearing deranged.
Eye contact is very powerful if used properly O_O
Anyways maybe he's kinda embarassed.
Reply 16
Just to make clear, I wasn't continually staring at him, lol (I too, also looked at the TV), but I just noticed that most of the times when I was looking at him, he wasn't looking back at me (which is what this is about :smile:).
Reply 17
Maybe don't think about it so much?
Smoobla
Maybe don't think about it so much?

:ditto:...try not to worry about it :smile:
MichaelG
Maintaining contact shows you're confident.

Think he's just a lil shy, if i'd been invited round a girls house for some wii i'd be pretty shy!

ohhh you could mean that in a variety of naughty ways :woo: :biggrin: :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending