Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Apologies for the length of the post; please help.

I'm contemplating as to whether I should drop out of uni for the 2nd time, which will end my chance of completing a degree due to 2 years of funding used.

I've done fairly well in two weighted assignments which were graded at 67% and 69%. Even so, I have come to conclude that I'm not academically inclined - I don't enjoy the work and constantly feel stressed.

I have no idea what I want to do but know that I can't cope in stressful environments.

I don't want to let my parents down a second time. Though, I feel that there's nothing to fall back on as I'm too old to do an apprenticeship or work in retail due to the cost I would incur on the employer as a result of my age.

(I have no work experience either)

Is there any route I can take?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I'm contemplating as to whether I should drop out of uni for the 2nd time, which will end my chance of completing a degree due to 2 years of funding used.

I've done fairly well in two weighted assignments which were graded at 67% and 69%. Even so, I have come to conclude that I'm not academically inclined - I don't enjoy the work and constantly feel stressed.

I have no idea what I want to do but know that I can't cope in stressful environments.

I don't want to let my parents down a second time. Though, I feel that there's nothing to fall back on as I'm too old to do an apprenticeship or work in retail due to the cost I would incur on the employer as a result of my age.

You arent too old for an apprenticeship by any means- maybe find one before you leave.
You sound capable.

If you must leave having thought it through then do it via going to the doctors and being depressed or mh issues, that way you can try claiming the funding back, which might mean you can try uni later in life.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
You arent too old for an apprenticeship by any means- maybe find one before you leave.
You sound capable.

If you must leave having thought it through then do it via going to the doctors and being depressed or mh issues, that way you can try claiming the funding back, which might mean you can try uni later in life.
I'm not capable... my A levels are poor - and GCSE's are average at best.

I'm soon to turn 24, I can't see how it would be possible to gain an apprenticeship given my background.

A fair amount of work is due in this week and I've conceded that it isn't for me, would I not get kicked out for failing to complete work before being able to seek advice from a Dr?
btchtots18
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My stepdad is 42 and he's just gotten onto an apprenticeship so honestly, you're not too old at all! I got really crap GCSEs and I dropped out of sixth form after a year and I am going to University in September. Honestly, don't worry!
999tigger
Report 2 months ago

I'm soon to turn 24, I can't see how it would be possible to gain an apprenticeship given my background.

A fair amount of work is due in this week and I've conceded that it isn't for me, would I not get kicked out for failing to complete work before being able to seek advice from a Dr?
Just go and see student support or tutor to ask for extension or put in extenuating circumstances for now.
You sound depressed and not the best judge of your situation.
Unless you tell people they cant know.

There is no max age for apprenticeships. you were the one that mentioned it and then shot it down.

If you get letter from GP and diagnosed as depressed, then drop out you have a chance of putting in a compelling personal reason claim, which might get you the finance disregarded for this year.
Anonymous #1
Just go and see student support or tutor to ask for extension or put in extenuating circumstances for now.
You sound depressed and not the best judge of your situation.
Unless you tell people they cant know.

There is no max age for apprenticeships. you were the one that mentioned it and then shot it down.

If you get letter from GP and diagnosed as depressed, then drop out you have a chance of putting in a compelling personal reason claim, which might get you the finance disregarded for this year.
Age may not be a limiting factor, but it is when combined with my poor educational background and lack of work experience.

It's too late to ask for an extension as one of the assignments is due tomorrow.

As I've lost a year of funding anyway, what would happen if I stop attending but do not withdraw? I only ask as I could receive more of the maintenance loan as by dropping out now I'll only receive 1/3 of it.
999tigger
Report 2 months ago
Age may not be a limiting factor, but it is when combined with my poor educational background and lack of work experience.

It's too late to ask for an extension as one of the assignments is due tomorrow.

As I've lost a year of funding anyway, what would happen if I stop attending but do not withdraw? I only ask as I could receive more of the maintenance loan as by dropping out now I'll only receive 1/3 of it.
You are only 23.
People start again at all ages.
You get things out of proportion.
You convince yourself there is no way of solving things or probelms are bigger than they are.
You find reasons to dismiss advice given you.

These are all signs of someone unable to see the real picture, of keeping things in proportion and willing to address and solve their issues i.e you sound depressed.

You can either contact the lecturer today and ask for an extension.
You can go and see support services today. You could have seen them weeks ago.
Yet you paralyse yourself into making a choice to doing nothing and thereby making things worse.
You have nothing to lose by trying.

Go and get help. you are writing yourself off over one r two stupid assignments , which t the worst you score zero for and you resubmit capped at 40. Most first years dont even count towards your degree at all and 2/3 of the marks are in year 3.

If you stop attending they will eventually catch up with you. You will throw away the entire year and they will withdraw you. You are willing to contemplate that v just handing an essay in late, which shows how much your brain is unable to see things in perspective and you should seek support for your mh.

If you cease to be a student then you cease to be entitled to student monies except for up to 60 days discretionary payment.

Go and get help from your GP or support services at the SU or your department. they already know you arent lazy or untalented because of your submitted work.
999tigger
Report 2 months ago

You are only 23.
You convince yourself there is no way of solving things or probelms are bigger than they are.

These are all signs of someone unable to see the real picture, of keeping things in proportion and willing to address and solve their issues i.e you sound depressed.

Yet you paralyse yourself into making a choice to doing nothing and thereby making things worse.

Go and get help. you are writing yourself off over one r two stupid assignments , which t the worst you score zero for and you resubmit capped at 40. Most first years dont even count towards your degree at all and 2/3 of the marks are in year 3.

If you stop attending they will eventually catch up with you. You will throw away the entire year and they will withdraw you. You are willing to contemplate that v just handing an essay in late, which shows how much your brain is unable to see things in perspective and you should seek support for your mh.

If you cease to be a student then you cease to be entitled to student monies except for up to 60 days discretionary payment.

Go and get help from your GP or support services at the SU or your department. they already know you arent lazy or untalented because of your submitted work.

If you dont have work experience volunteer or get a job.
If you dont have qualifications then study for them. You could finish the degree successfully if you want to and tidy the rest of your qualis up later if its needed.
Be the solution and not the problem, its just a matter of time and effort.
Anyway that is all good advice and have tried to help you, hope you take heed. GL.
Last edited by 999tigger; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
You are only 23.

If you dont have work experience volunteer or get a job.
If you dont have qualifications then study for them. You could finish the degree successfully if you want to and tidy the rest of your qualis up later if its needed.
Be the solution and not the problem, its just a matter of time and effort.
Anyway that is all good advice and have tried to help you, hope you take heed. GL.
Cheers for the advice.

I've decided that it is best for me to withdraw, regardless of my mental state - this has happened twice now. I need to stop being in denial and realise that this route isn't for me. The thought of not being at Uni is making me see things much more clearly; perhaps that is the cause of my mental health issues.

I'll book an appointment with my local GP and seek some voluntary work for the meantime.

Thanks again.
999tigger
Report 2 months ago
Cheers for the advice.

I've decided that it is best for me to withdraw, regardless of my mental state - this has happened twice now. I need to stop being in denial and realise that this route isn't for me. The thought of not being at Uni is making me see things much more clearly; perhaps that is the cause of my mental health issues.

I'll book an appointment with my local GP and seek some voluntary work for the meantime.

Thanks again.
If you talk to the people I suggested so its on record then withdrawing due to mh issues always leaves the option later in life to make a cpr claim to try and get finance restored.
You need evidence though hence doing it carefully to make sure you are covered. This is something you can do now, which can help you to make sure its the right decision and some small effort now may pay dividends in the future if you choose to return, when your mh is better. That is the smart move.
Anonymous #1
If you talk to the people I suggested so its on record then withdrawing due to mh issues always leaves the option later in life to make a cpr claim to try and get finance restored.
You need evidence though hence doing it carefully to make sure you are covered. This is something you can do now, which can help you to make sure its the right decision and some small effort now may pay dividends in the future if you choose to return, when your mh is better. That is the smart move.
You are probably right but I'm 99% sure that I won't study at university again.

I think it would look suspicious that it has happened around the time when assessments are due.

I just need to get on with life.
nicole138xx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I work in retail and there is a massive age range between the staff. I work as a retail assistant. I feel you could fall back onto a career in retail for the time being while you figure things out.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

You can still do an apprenticeship, you can do a trade and be qualified in something useful like electrician, plumber etc. before your 27. Now you need to decide whats best for you, but their are alternatives.

I suspect the fact you've tried uni a couple times is that because the government made it so easy to get funding that basically everyone just goes as they feel this will give them better options in a couple years. The reality is that this is often not the case. Spend some time and think about what you want to be when your 35/45/55 etc. come up with a plan. Still plenty of options out there.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
You can still do an apprenticeship, you can do a trade and be qualified in something useful like electrician, plumber etc. before your 27. Now you need to decide whats best for you, but their are alternatives.

I suspect the fact you've tried uni a couple times is that because the government made it so easy to get funding that basically everyone just goes as they feel this will give them better options in a couple years. The reality is that this is often not the case. Spend some time and think about what you want to be when your 35/45/55 etc. come up with a plan. Still plenty of options out there.
Thanks for that.

If I'm being honest I only went to University to appear as though I was doing something, my head was never in it from the get-go.

I suppose it hasn't been a total waste, I'm no longer in denial by believing that I'm academic as it is evident that I'm not.

Also, I know what careers to avoid which align with the skills present at University.

I thought it took much longer than that to qualify, plus I've heard it's very expensive as most employers will only take on16/17-year-olds.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for that.

If I'm being honest I only went to University to appear as though I was doing something, my head was never in it from the get-go.

I suppose it hasn't been a total waste, I'm no longer in denial by believing that I'm academic as it is evident that I'm not.

Also, I know what careers to avoid which align with the skills present at University.

I thought it took much longer than that to qualify, plus I've heard it's very expensive as most employers will only take on16/17-year-olds.
I think school leavers naturally align up up to apprenticeships, and im sure employers use the on the job training for the cheap labour, but they also want people who are diligent and want to be there contributing.

I think most apprenticeships take about 3/4 years, Ive got mates who left school and just got apprenticeships and many of them are more mature, making more money and doing better then many graduates I also know.

Im not advocating for apprenticeships over the degree, I just want to make sure you understand the door is still open and there are plenty of alternatives.

The fact that your uni marks are high 60s shows your very capable of doing university, but it sounds like your not comfortable in that environment, only you can decide what is the better route for you however.
999tigger
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for that.

You continue to misinform yourself.
Apprentices can be all ages.
The fact you managed such high scores is an indication you are well capable of the academic side, but for other reasons you have decided its not for you. Stop undermining your ability.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
I think school leavers naturally align up up to apprenticeships, and im sure employers use the on the job training for the cheap labour, but they also want people who are diligent and want to be there contributing.

I think most apprenticeships take about 3/4 years, Ive got mates who left school and just got apprenticeships and many of them are more mature, making more money and doing better then many graduates I also know.

Im not advocating for apprenticeships over the degree, I just want to make sure you understand the door is still open and there are plenty of alternatives.

The fact that your uni marks are high 60s shows your very capable of doing university, but it sounds like your not comfortable in that environment, only you can decide what is the better route for you however.
I think an apprenticeship would be more aligned with my personality.

However, given my employment history (lack of). Surely I'd be seen as a liability and not as someone deemed to be diligent.

They were easy assignments, I have no motivation for the degree; this would only get worse over time.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think an apprenticeship would be more aligned with my personality.

However, given my employment history (lack of). Surely I'd be seen as a liability and not as someone deemed to be diligent.

They were easy assignments, I have no motivation for the degree; this would only get worse over time.
Well when you apply for the apprenticeship, your not going to say i sat on my arse for 2 years...

Instead say: between leaving school and this apprenticeship I took some time explore career options, Ive spent the majority of my time in further education but have now realised I am more interested in X,Y,Z and feel this apprenticeship program is an opportunity for both me & you...

Then instead of a liability, you were someone who took control of their life and dropped out because they were motivated to do something different (as apposed to unmotivated to complete their degree...)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Well when you apply for the apprenticeship, your not going to say i sat on my arse for 2 years...

Instead say: between leaving school and this apprenticeship I took some time explore career options, Ive spent the majority of my time in further education but have now realised I am more interested in X,Y,Z and feel this apprenticeship program is an opportunity for both me & you...

Then instead of a liability, you were someone who took control of their life and dropped out because they were motivated to do something different (as apposed to unmotivated to complete their degree...)
That's a good way to put it.

I've potentially secured an apprenticeship so all being well that shouldn't fall through... if not I may look into the raf.
BeardedLoadie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That's a good way to put it.

I've potentially secured an apprenticeship so all being well that shouldn't fall through... if not I may look into the raf.
What are you looking into in the RAF?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (246)
60.29%
No (84)
20.59%
Not sure (78)
19.12%

Watched Threads