Turn on thread page Beta

resitting abrsm exams? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Seems like what I said earlier about some examiners and scales has happened to you Take the results sheet to your teacher and ask for his/her advice. Sounds like if you can sort out your scales, you'll do better next time!

Btw, don't worry too much about the uneven tempo thing. This happens to me all the time. Some teachers/examiners have very set ideas about the ways in which certain composers' pieces should be played and if you play it differently, they don't understand why

yeah, i think as long as you play it technically correctly then the examiner should have an open mind about your artistic interpretation of the piece. Otherwise, it almost equates to you being marked based on opinion rather than fact, which i don't think is fair
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    ^ Exactly. Unfortunately, some examiners can't accept that their opinion is just their opinion and not the definitive way of playing a piece

ReputationRep:
    god yeah, it happens in so many performing arts based exams, drama, dance, the lot..

tis so unfair and irrational that an examiner (all of whom are so educated in their field) can seem to be appearing that they are confusing their opinion as something more factual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmjessop)
    Really? I got 121 (merit) for my grade 8 piano!
    I think a mark over is allowed. Just not a mark under - they should either put it up a mark into the next boundary or down one.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sexysax)
    I think a mark over is allowed. Just not a mark under - they should either put it up a mark into the next boundary or down one.
    Now that I think of it, this is right. I presumed it was the same rule for a mark over, but sexysax makes sense and I stand corrected!

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to get marks like 121 and 131, examiners just aren't allowed to give marks that are one point away from a higher boundary/grade. So 119 is a pass which they can't give you since it's one point away from a merit so they round it up. 121 is a merit and they'll never round your result down to 120 because that wouldn't work in favour of the candidate and it's still a merit so it doesn't change it overall. Same thing happened with me, in grade 5 I got 131 but they won't round it down to 130 because it's already in the distinction boundary. XD, Ik this sounds kinda confusing but it's the best way I can explain it really.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.