Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone,
    I have been looking for a job for more than a month and i am wondering if i can get any support from Job Centre Plus , any jobseeker's allowance or something ??
    Please , give me some details.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    How did you leave your last job (if you've had one)?

If you're actively seeking work (especially if you weren't sacked from your last job or resigned) then you may well be entitled to JSA. Get in touch with your local jobcentre.

ReputationRep:
    Some of it depends on how you left your job, and whether you have savings or whatever; but generally, yes you will be entitled to claim the dole while you're looking for work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Some of it depends on how you left your job, and whether you have savings or whatever; but generally, yes you will be entitled to claim the dole while you're looking for work.
    Liiiiiibbbbb Haven't see you around in ages (don't really frequent D+D/politics much anymore).

Anyway, yes, I believe that you have to wait three months or something like that if you were sacked or resigned from your last job.

They'll also maybe look at your savings and also they may look at any tax you've paid in the past (to see whether you qualifiy for contribustions based JSA or not). But, if you're actively looking for work, phone them up and ask

ReputationRep:
    How much you get will depend on how old you are as well

ReputationRep:
    What about students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amlea)
    What about students?
    What about them? :p:

Back in the good old days (years ago - probably when grants were still around) I think you had students signing on over the summer. They've cracked down on it now though.

I think a student who has withdrawn for a year (like I have been this year) may still be eligible. Never bothered trying though (or, indeed, tried getting a job!) It's because of not looking for a job that I didn't sign onto JSA. A student on a gap year can. But not during the holidays, no.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I resigned in the end of May for personal reason and to find something better paid . I am planning to go to study from September ... I am 22.

One more , if I go studying from September and will be not given any money from my parents am I allowed to get Income Support ???

ReputationRep:
    one more .... if I claim for JSC how long do i need to wait to get some money ... weeks? months???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M&K)
    Actually I resigned in the end of May for personal reason and to find something better paid . I am planning to go to study from September ... I am 22.

One more , if I go studying from September and will be not given any money from my parents am I allowed to get Income Support ???
    If you resigned I think you need to wait a set amount of time until you're able to claim (three months I think).

(Original post by M&K)
    one more .... if I claim for JSC how long do i need to wait to get some money ... weeks? months???
    It can vary. It depends how long it takes to process your application (anything from a fortinight to longer). Usually fairly promptly. From what I understand you don't get anything until a fortnihgt has past (but it gets backdated).

It's best to just ask you jobcentre

To apply: -

0800 055 6688

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/eservice/

ReputationRep:
    After you've applied online do you have to go the job centre and confirm your application?

and is this service really useful in finding a suitable job? everyone has given bad reviews about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolworld37)
    After you've applied online do you have to go the job centre and confirm your application?

and is this service really useful in finding a suitable job? everyone has given bad reviews about it.
    You'll still probably need to got to the jobcentre for an interview and finalise things.

It's not particucalrly great way of finding a job. Some will be more helpful than others. My experience is that they are places of low staff morale where they don't really expect the JSA recipient to be looking for work. You go once a fortnight to sign on. They are supposed to check what you've been doing that fortnight to find a job (some will, some won't). Do a ten second search on the jobcentre website (which you can do yourself, at home) and then send you off.

They may give you advice on interview technique, CVs etc. But you may need to be unemployed for six months to get this (if you get it at all).

ReputationRep:
    My parents want me to claim JSA (I finished my master's last month and have been looking for work since March) but I don't really feel I'm entitled to it since I'm living at home rent-free and everything

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will need to go down the centre to finish all the forms etc.

You cant go on JSA as a full time student, however you could do it before you becomne a student.

Its about £45-£50 a week, paid fortnightly, you dont get anything for your first 2 weeks as it's being processed but then they backdate.

They are useless at offering any real job hunting advice that anyone with a tiny bit of common sense wouldnt know already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    My parents want me to claim JSA (I finished my master's last month and have been looking for work since March) but I don't really feel I'm entitled to it since I'm living at home rent-free and everything
    Course you are. If you're unemployed and making a genuine attempt to look for a job. Especially if you've been employed beforehand (and made some NI contributions).

If you do claim it could you not give some rent to your parents? Even if you don't at least it's money to put aside and save.

ReputationRep:
    Well guess what, you are entitled to it. Im currently living back in my parent's place rent free, and am still entitled to the same amount i got whne i was renting my own place.

ReputationRep:
    I work for jobcentre, so here goes..(i'm new it might be a little off)
    You can choose to claim income based or contribution. As you have been studying for the past two tax years you might not be able to claim conts. However as you are living at home rent free You probably won't be able to claim income as it MIGHT take your parents into account. (not sure though)
    If you were able to claim you have to sign on every two weeks and are paid two weekly. When you go to sign on you have to show what you ahve been doing to look for jpobs inthe last two weeks. And have to provide proof of job interviews etc.
    Ask in at your local jobcentre for a more accurate idea.

And M&K
    you might be eligible to claim until you begin to study, however it depends on the above factors such as NI contributuion and income of whoever you are living with. As a student if you getting any help from the government for study i.e. tuition fees then you probably can't claim. Income support is not very student friendly, at work we get a lot in who we can't help. The best bet is to pop into your local jobcentre and pick up the numbe rof the benefit centre who will be able to help more as jon centre plus employees cannot give benefit adivce.

Sorry for the essay just trying to be helpful. But it may be a little off like I said.

ReputationRep:
    Squeezing past the junkies, to have some smarmy guy with glasses look down his nose at you like you are the piece of scum you stood on when you came in, really isn't worth the £40 per week they give you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Squeezing past the junkies, to have some smarmy guy with glasses look down his nose at you like you are the piece of scum you stood on when you came in, really isn't worth the £40 per week they give you.
    Certainly is when i then walk straight out, accross the road and into the pub.

ReputationRep:
    if you are paying rent and council tax, you might aswell claim LHA (local housing allowance) and council tax benefit from the council,

you don't have to queue, you are not forced to call into the job centre fortnightly,

LHA has been used by Labour to get people off the dole and reduce the unemployment numbers, cos if you claim LHA and JSA your LHA will be reduced, so which would you go for if you didn't want hassle? LHA obviously

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.