Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    They will, and if you're prepared to go to them and pay, I live round the corner, buy us a pint, and I'll fit it all for yo,.
    how much do they charge? i dont mind paying to get it done properly, its only a one off

btw do you know how much they charge?

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

It's dead easy on a Clio though, the front speakers pop out from the doors, no tools required, and you can just lift the carpet to lay down the cable to the boot.

Honestley, it'd save you time and money if you did it this way.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same situation as you two years ago about installing everything. After browsing through the talk audio forums, I did it myself. Its not very difficult. The most tricky thing to do was getting the power cable from the battery through the firewall to the amp. For that, i just looked for a rubber grummet which would be able to let the wire through, and poked a hole with a metel coat hanger, taped the cable to it, and pulled it through.

I own those alpine components, the treble sounds were a bit loud and harsh at first for my taste, but the equaliser took care of this problem. Those SPL dynamics components JayEm linked are pretty decent and recommended for a budget install. I would probably pick them if I were buying now.

Also one thing to consider is mounting depth. If there is not enough depth, then the speaker may not fit or may obstruct the windows. Although, if you need a fitting adaptor, they may provide a bit more clearance. Check on this link if there is any you need for your car:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/fitt...ors-c-292.html

As for amp, I would probably go for the JBL one linked also. Use 2 channels for the components, and bridge the other 2 channels for sub.

I would avoid those amp and sub packages as I'm not very keen on the amplifier supplied with them, not too sure about the manufacturer. Also, the amplifiers only have 2 channels, so you won't be able to power components and subs.

However, it seems to me budget is a bit of a problem. I would leave the sub for the moment, and then when you have enough money get a sub.

As for wiring kits, for that amp, you would need atleast a 8AWG wiring kit.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dyna...wg-p-6480.html

If you get a sub, then another RCA lead will be required:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dyna...50-p-6077.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown1557)
    I was in the same situation as you two years ago about installing everything. After browsing through the talk audio forums, I did it myself. Its not very difficult. The most tricky thing to do was getting the power cable from the battery through the firewall to the amp. For that, i just looked for a rubber grummet which would be able to let the wire through, and poked a hole with a metel coat hanger, taped the cable to it, and pulled it through.

I own those alpine components, the treble sounds were a bit loud and harsh at first for my taste, but the equaliser took care of this problem. Those SPL dynamics components JayEm linked are pretty decent and recommended for a budget install. I would probably pick them if I were buying now.

Also one thing to consider is mounting depth. If there is not enough depth, then the speaker may not fit or may obstruct the windows. Although, if you need a fitting adaptor, they may provide a bit more clearance. Check on this link if there is any you need for your car:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/fitt...ors-c-292.html

As for amp, I would probably go for the JBL one linked also. Use 2 channels for the components, and bridge the other 2 channels for sub.

I would avoid those amp and sub packages as I'm not very keen on the amplifier supplied with them, not too sure about the manufacturer. Also, the amplifiers only have 2 channels, so you won't be able to power components and subs.

However, it seems to me budget is a bit of a problem. I would leave the sub for the moment, and then when you have enough money get a sub.

As for wiring kits, for that amp, you would need atleast a 8AWG wiring kit.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dyna...wg-p-6480.html

If you get a sub, then another RCA lead will be required:
    http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dyna...50-p-6077.html
    theres nothing here, is that gd or bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Apprentice)
    theres nothing here, is that gd or bad?
    Thats good, fitting should hopefully be pretty straight forward.

BTW, i just realised there is a typo in my previous post about components and coaxials, the standard sizes are 5.25 inches and 6.5 inches.

I believe mk2 Clios use 5.25 inches speakers, so the 6.5 inch ones would not fit easily (without building door pods). Instead, here are the 5.25 inch ones:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dyna...52-p-5522.html

ReputationRep:

BTW, i just realised there is a typo in my previous post about components and coaxials, the standard sizes are 5.25 inches and 6.5 inches.

I believe mk2 Clios use 5.25 inches speakers, so the 6.5 inch ones would not fit easily (without building door pods). Instead, here are the 5.25 inch ones:

iv bought this, bass junkies quoted me 110 to fit it in! halfords said you have to buy of them but the garage where i bought my car from said they will do it for £60 :rolleyes:

let you know how it turns out! fitting on sunday

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. After all the advice we gave you as well! :rolleyes: :p:

If you can, I'd take it back and just get a 4 channel amp + wiring kit. Amp up the speakers you currently have, being careful with the gain knob. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than those **** by 9's.

Get this:
    http://www.bassjunkies.com/?pid=3372...d&source=brand

and

http://www.bassjunkies.com/?pid=3251...F&source=brand

Fit it yourself, its not that difficult. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    Oh dear. After all the advice we gave you as well! :rolleyes: :p:

If you can, I'd take it back and just get a 4 channel amp + wiring kit. Amp up the speakers you currently have, being careful with the gain knob. It'll sound a hell of a lot better than those **** by 9's.

Get this:

and

http://www.bassjunkies.com/?pid=3251...F&source=brand

Fit it yourself, its not that difficult. :cool:

OMG! lol forget it now iv bought it!
    anywayz moving on!
    will i be needing a adapter if i have jvc kdg432 head unit

ReputationRep:
    It has one set of pre-outs, so should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    It has one set of pre-outs, so should be fine.
    thanks mate!, nice little avatar/image thing btw lol!

ReputationRep:
    how long does it normally take to fit in a amp and 6x9's? (for those people who know what they are doing)

ReputationRep:
    About 1 and a half, to two hours to do it properly. Make sure they tidy the wiring up with cable ties etc. Also, check they secure the fuse holder to something under the bonnet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    About 1 and a half, to two hours to do it properly. Make sure they tidy the wiring up with cable ties etc. Also, check they secure the fuse holder to something under the bonnet.
    cool, where should i inspect the wiring? and how do i check the fuse under the bonnet, like how is it held?

ReputationRep:
    The fuseholder will be close to the battery somewhere. Make sure they've screwed or glued it down to something solid. You don't want it rattling and coming loose whilst driving.

Regarding the wiring, just make sure its not hanging out behind the dash or in the footwells. Also, in the boot, there should be minimal cable visible; just enough to reach the amp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    The fuseholder will be close to the battery somewhere. Make sure they've screwed or glued it down to something solid. You don't want it rattling and coming loose whilst driving.

Regarding the wiring, just make sure its not hanging out behind the dash or in the footwells. Also, in the boot, there should be minimal cable visible; just enough to reach the amp.
    brilliant!

I think the wiring i bought may have some sort of holders in it, if not im sure they have some bands to hold it together!

ill just slip in a line to act like i know what im on about eg "i think there are some clips or something in there to hold the wiring together"

ReputationRep:
    im not sure to get 6x9s at the back and component speakers at the front, or just to get component spekaers at the front and back.

ReputationRep:

tried pming you but you dont allow it!
    hey

iv managed to stretch my budget a bit for my car system. I was wondering if you could give me a bit of advice, Iv come up with a system and would like to know your opinion and if you could let me know what wires/cables i will need? Will the selected amp handle all the power i am requesting?

I am thinking of putting 6x9s at the back and components for the front.

Alpine Sxe 6x9 280watt 45w RMS
    JVL Gt0507c component speakers 165watt £50
    Blaster 1000w 4channel amp £60

If any of those will not work together please let me know, i think the amp will work but not sure and I have no idea what wires/cables i should buy.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Apprentice)
    tried pming you but you dont allow it!
    hey

iv managed to stretch my budget a bit for my car system. I was wondering if you could give me a bit of advice, Iv come up with a system and would like to know your opinion and if you could let me know what wires/cables i will need? Will the selected amp handle all the power i am requesting?

I am thinking of putting 6x9s at the back and components for the front.

Alpine Sxe 6x9 280watt 45w RMS
    JVL Gt0507c component speakers 165watt £50
    Blaster 1000w 4channel amp £60

If any of those will not work together please let me know, i think the amp will work but not sure and I have no idea what wires/cables i should buy.

Thanks!
    Oh, I fixed the PM problem.

Personally I would not go for that amp, since no other information is provided (e.g. RMS power, stable operating impedance etc). It probably can't output anywhere near the power specified. For amps, it may be worth spending a bit more to get something more reliable. Also, the impedance information is important, since that influences the power transfer. Most amps should support 2 and 4 ohms stable, but since its not specified, we have no idea. If there is an impedance mismatch with the speaker and the amp, the output stage of the amp could blow.

As for the 6x9s, I would avoid them. As I'll be driving the car up front, I don't need the speakers at the back. I would leave the rear speakers (if there are any) stock. The only thing I would put is a sub in the boot. So speaker wise I would stick with just components up front. Once the front components are amped, there should not be a lack of sound, and the quality will probably be better. I'm not to sure about the components you have linked. JBL are decent for budget subs and amps, but not heard much about those components.

Now for wiring kits, upto around 600W an 8AWG kit should suffice. Anything higher, upto around the 1kW range, use a 4AWG wiring kit.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I fixed the PM problem.

Personally I would not go for that amp, since no other information is provided (e.g. RMS power, stable operating impedance etc). It probably can't output anywhere near the power specified. For amps, it may be worth spending a bit more to get something more reliable. Also, the impedance information is important, since that influences the power transfer. Most amps should support 2 and 4 ohms stable, but since its not specified, we have no idea. If there is an impedance mismatch with the speaker and the amp, the output stage of the amp could blow.

As for the 6x9s, I would avoid them. As I'll be driving the car up front, I don't need the speakers at the back. I would leave the rear speakers (if there are any) stock. The only thing I would put is a sub in the boot. So speaker wise I would stick with just components up front. Once the front components are amped, there should not be a lack of sound, and the quality will probably be better. I'm not to sure about the components you have linked. JBL are decent for budget subs and amps, but not heard much about those components.

Now for wiring kits, upto around 600W an 8AWG kit should suffice. Anything higher, upto around the 1kW range, use a 4AWG wiring kit.

what system do you reccomend of www.bassjunkies.com for me then? i dont know much so each time i make one it seems to be wrong lol!
    i got a budget of £210

This? or is ts over priced?
    that includes sub, amp, 6x9, wires and box, would that amp also be able to handle these components for the front

ReputationRep:
    Lol, don’t worry you haven’t gone completely wrong. It’s a bit difficult fitting everything into your budget.

The package that you linked would work if you forget about the 6x9s in it. Each one of them will take a channel, and then two would be bridged for the sub. So instead of the 6x9s you would use the component speakers. I am not keen on the T1 amp have never heard of the T1 brand or seen many reviews of it.

Looking at just the bass junkies website, it is a bit difficult for me to recommend everything to be within the £210 budget. I’ve managed to get to about £210 but that does not include a wiring kit. So with wiring kit it would be pushed to about £230.

Components wise, thinking about it again, for your budget if you want everything then the JBLs or Pioneers may be your best option. The Pioneers may be easier to fit since they got the Renault adaptors for the tweeters.

Looking at the subwoofer and enclosure prices separately, it looks like it’s not worth it to buy them individually, so I think this would do the job:

http://www.bassjunkies.com/?pid=2467...L&source=brand

My amplifier choice would be either the one JayEm linked, or:

Now while it states its 720W max with that one, I think you would still get away with an 8AWG wiring kit:
    http://www.bassjunkies.com/?pid=3251...ource=category

Since it is pushing your budget a fair bit, the only option to stay within budget would be to forget about the sub for now. With a 4-channel amp, it could be easily added later on.

Also, I just noticed that your head unit has one set of RCA pre-outs. This can only be used with 2 channels of an amp, for 4 channels you normally need two sets of pre-outs. But to get around this problem you have two options. You can either use an RCA splitter to split the RCA cable to use with four channels (example linked below), or use the speaker level inputs. The speaker level inputs will take the output or the head unit’s internal amp and use that as an input.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audi...ct-p-7025.html.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.