The Student Room Group

Why is my Durham offer so low?

I have been offered a place on BA Geography and the entry requirements are A*AA yet their offer to me is ABB, AAB if insurance?
I know Durham do contextual offers, but that is one or two grades below. Why so low? I’m not complaining tho
Original post by MrXtra
I have been offered a place on BA Geography and the entry requirements are A*AA yet their offer to me is ABB, AAB if insurance?
I know Durham do contextual offers, but that is one or two grades below. Why so low? I’m not complaining tho

because universities, and Durham in particular, are becoming less and less competitive and will pretty much take anyone they can.

unis like Durham have a decreasing student acceptance yield as they are competing against lower ranked ones (Lancaster being one of the biggest offenders) that tempt students with Unconditional offers. it's a shame really
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
because universities, and Durham in particular, are becoming less and less competitive and will pretty much take anyone they can.

unis like Durham have a decreasing student acceptance yield as they are competing against lower ranked ones (Lancaster being one of the biggest offenders) that tempt students with Unconditional offers. it's a shame really

Oh... and here I am thinking I’m something special haha 😂😂
Do you do science A-levels?
Reply 4
No I study English Lit, Sociology and Geography. Predicted grades at A*A*A, applying to Cambridge too.
Original post by MrXtra

It's contextual - lots of unis make lower offers these days to students that qualify for contextual offers and it should be embraced :smile:
Original post by MrXtra

There's nothing particularly unusual about the offer. The course requirements are A*AA so take two grades off for contextual factors and you get AAB. Durham state that they can reduce this by a further grade if you firm them ie ABB.

See https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/contextualoffers/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending