The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

How can I persuade that Exeter is good?

I have recieved an offer for A*AA for Bsc Econ and Politics with Industrial Exp. (2 grades lower if I get an A in EPQ and choose as a firm). This seems realistically my main firm option as I doubt I'll recieve an offer from LSE

The point being is that my parents think lowly of it and they really wanted LSE or Warwick (The latter rejected me). They have been frequentlyd disappointed with lacklustre exam performances and I fear they'll do the same again with news of a rejection. If I don't get an LSE offer, what could I do to persuade that Exeter is a really good uni?

I personally think it's a really good uni and I wouldn't mind going here, but for Econ/Politics, could people offer any talking points I could use to bolster the point that Exeter is a respected Uni (Beyond its a russell group and that)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have recieved an offer for A*AA for Bsc Econ and Politics with Industrial Exp. (2 grades lower if I get an A in EPQ and choose as a firm). This seems realistically my main firm option as I doubt I'll recieve an offer from LSE

The point being is that my parents think lowly of it and they really wanted LSE or Warwick (The latter rejected me). They have been frequentlyd disappointed with lacklustre exam performances and I fear they'll do the same again with news of a rejection. If I don't get an LSE offer, what could I do to persuade that Exeter is a really good uni?

I personally think it's a really good uni and I wouldn't mind going here, but for Econ/Politics, could people offer any talking points I could use to bolster the point that Exeter is a respected Uni (Beyond its a russell group and that)

I don't know man - if they lack the critical thinking skills to be able to work out that Exeter is one of the better universities in the country, there is probably not much you can do to convince them otherwise. It sounds like they're quite overbearing as well.

End of the day, as long as they are not paying for it, you should choose where you want to go to uni based on your preferences (even if they are, you still should lol). It's your life; don't feel like you should try to live it to please other people - parents included.

That being said, as a final year at Exe, I can tell you that the business school sees the most investment out of all of the departments and they always seem really good at getting their students into good placements. I would also advise you to check the rankings for your subject in the UK uni rankings.

Lastly, outside of OxBridge/LSE, it really doesn't matter what university you go to. All of the other top universities are roughly considered to be the same standard and will have you equally equipped to get a job offer. I study History at Exeter and got both an internship and placement last year - a policy internship with the second biggest charity in the world, and an audit placement with a fairly big UK financial services firm.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
warwick rejected you?? wasn't the entry requirement A*AA?? What more did they want?
Reply 3
As a student on the very course at Exeter, I can chime in with a few points:

- As a previous poster has mentioned, Exeter does fairly well in the league tables (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/economics). By looking at the rankings for Economics (10th) and Politics (8th), I would say that it is safe to conclude that the University is amongst the top half/third of the Russell Group. For the vast majority of jobs, you will not be at a disadvantage because you have gone to Exeter as opposed to LSE/Warwick.

- Industrial placements are only really a phenomenon at a few top universities in the country; predominantly Exeter, Bath and Loughborough. To be candid: Exeter is arguably the best university in the country for industrial placementsNotice that universities such as Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial etc. don't offer placement years - this makes life easier for you when applying for placements, as the competition for industrial placements is generally lower than what you will face when applying for summer internships and grad jobs. The Business School tremendously supports students with their Industrial Placement application, and students tend to place well as a result. For context, friends of mine have received placements at a variety of firms, including the Civil Service, the Bank of England, HSBC, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Lazard, to name a few.

- The day to day learning processes and content that you will cover at Exeter will be somewhat similar to that of the LSE. I have friends at the LSE and we often talk about the way things are taught at our universities - it seems the same problems are faced at LSE and Exeter. Oxford is a different ballgame, where the learning experience is completely different thanks to the presence of 1-1 tutorials. Outside of that, most Russell Group universities are equally as strong as each other.

- If you and your parents have your happiness in mind, direct them the student satisfaction statistics (https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/news/national-student-survey-2018-overall-satisfaction-results) of Exeter vs LSE.

- Exeter has a short history (60ish years) and it is doing well to be competing with the likes of Oxbridge and the LSE, who have been around for centuries and have had substantial time to establish themselves. If you look at Exeter's league table placements today vs 20 years ago, you will see that it has come a long way. So whilst Exeter is not top 5 today, I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years time (the time when you are hitting the peak of your employment) it was competing with the likes of UCL.

At the end of the day, it is you that will be attending the university, not your parents. If a placement is important to you, then you are coming to the right place. It is very easy to get caught up in the whole 'prestige' wars of university, but quite frankly, I personally think it holds little value outside of Oxbridge. Exeter is amongst the best universities in the country - that is a fact. Come along to one of the open days or offer holder days with your parents to see for yourself!

Hope that helps and all the best with your A-Levels.
Reply 4
It was, but either it was quite competitive and/or it was down to my my somewhat weak AS results prior

I've yet to hear back but I've asked for feedback
Reply 5
Original post by DM9
As a student on the very course at Exeter, I can chime in with a few points:

- As a previous poster has mentioned, Exeter does fairly well in the league tables (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/economics). By looking at the rankings for Economics (10th) and Politics (8th), I would say that it is safe to conclude that the University is amongst the top half/third of the Russell Group. For the vast majority of jobs, you will not be at a disadvantage because you have gone to Exeter as opposed to LSE/Warwick.

- Industrial placements are only really a phenomenon at a few top universities in the country; predominantly Exeter, Bath and Loughborough. To be candid: Exeter is arguably the best university in the country for industrial placementsNotice that universities such as Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial etc. don't offer placement years - this makes life easier for you when applying for placements, as the competition for industrial placements is generally lower than what you will face when applying for summer internships and grad jobs. The Business School tremendously supports students with their Industrial Placement application, and students tend to place well as a result. For context, friends of mine have received placements at a variety of firms, including the Civil Service, the Bank of England, HSBC, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Lazard, to name a few.

- The day to day learning processes and content that you will cover at Exeter will be somewhat similar to that of the LSE. I have friends at the LSE and we often talk about the way things are taught at our universities - it seems the same problems are faced at LSE and Exeter. Oxford is a different ballgame, where the learning experience is completely different thanks to the presence of 1-1 tutorials. Outside of that, most Russell Group universities are equally as strong as each other.

- If you and your parents have your happiness in mind, direct them the student satisfaction statistics (https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/news/national-student-survey-2018-overall-satisfaction-results) of Exeter vs LSE.

- Exeter has a short history (60ish years) and it is doing well to be competing with the likes of Oxbridge and the LSE, who have been around for centuries and have had substantial time to establish themselves. If you look at Exeter's league table placements today vs 20 years ago, you will see that it has come a long way. So whilst Exeter is not top 5 today, I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years time (the time when you are hitting the peak of your employment) it was competing with the likes of UCL.

At the end of the day, it is you that will be attending the university, not your parents. If a placement is important to you, then you are coming to the right place. It is very easy to get caught up in the whole 'prestige' wars of university, but quite frankly, I personally think it holds little value outside of Oxbridge. Exeter is amongst the best universities in the country - that is a fact. Come along to one of the open days or offer holder days with your parents to see for yourself!

Hope that helps and all the best with your A-Levels.

Very much appreciate this thorough response. Thank you!
Reply 6
I loved Exeter and had a great experience. My brother went to Warwick and considered Exeter the better University. My grades were average, but I was accepted to every masters program I applied to (LSE, Imperial etc.) When I was looking for a job, I constantly heard the same thing. If you go to Oxbridge, then this is considered something exceptional. However, companies considered that going to Warwick, Bath, Exeter, Notts etc, was the same thing. All of these top schools were in the same “basket and one or the other really gave you no advance. Exeter is a great University and campus and is loved by most students who go there( though like every school, there are some students who would not be happy wherever they went.)
I have recieved an offer for A*AA for Bsc Econ and Politics with Industrial Exp.

You're parents just want the best for you and they mistakenly think that some of the leading universities are the best in every thing. Here the thing they will not be sitting your exams in May/June or studying your degree you will be. Unless they are teachers or in profession related to the A level they would not be able to achieve your grades. You need to start pleasing yourself and point out that it is a far higher achievement to get into if you wish one of the places who rejected by applying and doing a higher degree.

On the positive side your parents are supportive even if they have a funny way of showing it. I have no doubt that you will have a place to stay during he holidays and financial support.
You're parents just want the best for you and they mistakenly think that some of the leading universities are the best in every thing. Here the thing they will not be sitting your exams in May/June or studying your degree you will be. Unless they are teachers or in profession related to the A level they would not be able to achieve your grades. You need to start pleasing yourself and point out that it is a far higher achievement to get into if you wish one of the places who rejected by applying and doing a higher degree.

On the positive side your parents are supportive even if they have a funny way of showing it. I have no doubt that you will have a place to stay during he holidays and financial support.

Good advice, but a little late...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending