Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
How can I tell when a specific defence applies in an a level law scenario? Ie what clues will make me instantly think, for example, that here the defence of automatism applies not insanity etc.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Automatism is caused by an external bodily factor, a case gave the example of a reflex, driving whilst being attacked by a swarm of bees.

Insanity is caused by an internal bodily factor, e.g. psychosis, making the person believe someone is going to attack them. Or sometimes more trivial things like PMS.

With such a broad question all I can advise is to look out for and try and categorise these internal or external factors.

Be careful if you get a case on diabetes though, the different form of diabetic attack can apply to different defences.
Last edited by MidgetFever; 6 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Automatism is caused by an external bodily factor, a case gave the example of a reflex, driving whilst being attacked by a swarm of bees.

Insanity is caused by an internal bodily factor, e.g. psychosis, making the person believe someone is going to attack them. Or sometimes more trivial things like PMS.

With such a broad question all I can advise is to look out for and try and categorise these internal or external factors.

Be careful if you get a case on diabetes though, the different form of diabetic attack can apply to different defences.
Thank you, this clarifies a lot for me. I appreciate it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (252)
39.75%
Take autumn exams (188)
29.65%
Look for a job (21)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.94%
Take a year out (110)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.99%

Watched Threads