Roha125
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Name:  2020-01-07 14.49.03.png
Views: 44
Size:  237.8 KB

How is mitochondrial DNA unique to each individual if mtDNA is only passed from mother.
Mother's mtDNA and child mtDNA are identical, So wouldn't everyones mtDNA be identical in a family.
Ruhab Dabeer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Roha125)

How is mitochondrial DNA unique to each individual if mtDNA is only passed from mother.
Mother's mtDNA and child mtDNA are identical, So wouldn't everyones mtDNA be identical in a family.
Can we see the actual question too
If u don't mind
So we know what is going on?
Roha125
Rep:
?
Np,I actually thought of giving the question but I understood those,only had problems with conflicting ms point
Those other ms points are not regulars
Attached files
Jack Southerden
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
k den
Attached files
Ruhab Dabeer
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Jack Southerden)
k den
Ruhab Dabeer
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Np,I actually thought of giving the question but I understood those,only had problems with conflicting ms point
Those other ms points are not regulars
Oh I may have not done this topic yet
Which topic is it from
Is it from Inheritance???
Jpw1097
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

You’re right, mitochondrial DNA is inherited from the mother only. All children from one woman will have the same mitochondrial DNA. The question asks how mitochondrial DNA might be used to identify an individual, and the mark scheme states the idea of mt DNA being unique to the individual. It is not saying that mt DNA is unique to each individual, but gives credit to students who state that mt DNA is unique to an individual or siblings or mother and children. The next questions asks why the mt DNA of a child will be the same as its mother, so the examiners are fully aware that mt DNA is not unique to an individual.
Roha125
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jpw1097)
You’re right, mitochondrial DNA is inherited from the mother only. All children from one woman will have the same mitochondrial DNA. The question asks how mitochondrial DNA might be used to identify an individual, and the mark scheme states the idea of mt DNA being unique to the individual. It is not saying that mt DNA is unique to each individual, but gives credit to students who state that mt DNA is unique to an individual or siblings or mother and children. The next questions asks why the mt DNA of a child will be the same as its mother, so the examiners are fully aware that mt DNA is not unique to an individual.
Thanks
I got it now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.31%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.13%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (666)
49.37%

Watched Threads