Turn on thread page Beta

A Level Chem in one year, do able? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, i've done one year a levels before.. did 3 + 1AS all from scratch in a year and got AAAb however, for medicine I need a level chem at grade B. My problem is that I need to also average 70% in my final year at uni which is going to be tough. Do you think one can get a grade B in one year self teaching & also what is the best self teaching method? books, practice papers etc?:woo:

ReputationRep:
    It's possible but you need to work pretty damn hard. If I were you I would get any and all approved textbooks/revison books, the specification and all the past papers you can get your hands on.

hmmm tricky, i think because you've done A-levels in one year before really well I'd normally go for it, but are you're going to be doing your final year of your degree at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    I think you will find it very tough. I don't know what your university course is like in terms of difficulty and workload, but I would find it nigh on impossible to obtain 70+% whilst studying anything else. Furthermore, in my opinion chemistry would be one of the most difficult A-levels to teach one's self, as there are many tricky topics that can be made much clearer by a good explanation from a teacher.

If you do decide to proceed with it, I would suggest reading from a good textbook initially, following that up with revision guides and doing practice papers as you go, to ensure difficult parts aren't just swept under the carpet until exam season. One of my favourite textbooks is Collins Advanced Chemistry, which you could read alongside the textbook specific to your course.

Good luck!

(Original post by nas7232)
    Hey all, i've done one year a levels before.. did 3 + 1AS all from scratch in a year and got AAAb however, for medicine I need a level chem at grade B. My problem is that I need to also average 70% in my final year at uni which is going to be tough. Do you think one can get a grade B in one year self teaching & also what is the best self teaching method? books, practice papers etc?:woo:
    It's doable. Aim for a high A, if you are committed. I recommend you take an hour everyday studying for it. Check out the syllabus. Buy books that the syllabus recommends. And do many past papers. If you have any chemistry problems, you could always come to TSR and ask! We are very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I'm attempting the same and I'm sure that it's doable. Chemistry solidarity.

ReputationRep:
    I did it this year and am hoping for a B on thursday,whether i get a B is another story though lol.

Getting to grips with the A2 organic stuff whilst having only just learnt the AS organic basis was a nightmare but i think i managed it.With chemistry,especially organic modules,the only way to learn it thouroughly is by CONTINUOUS repetition of all the countless mechanisms and reactions,you really have to put the hours in.

The most important thing is to not even attempt to learn the A2 stuff until you have a very sound knowledge of the AS modules.Sadly this was a tactic my teachers wernt to keen on but i got through it.

In the whole year i went through 12 x 200 page A4 scrapbooks,thats around 4800 sides of mechanisms,equations,synthesis and calculations repeated over and over.not including the workbooks i was given

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabo89)
    I did it this year and am hoping for a B on thursday,whether i get a B is another story though lol.

Getting to grips with the A2 organic stuff whilst having only just learnt the AS organic basis was a nightmare but i think i managed it.With chemistry,especially organic modules,the only way to learn it thouroughly is by CONTINUOUS repetition of all the countless mechanisms and reactions,you really have to put the hours in.

The most important thing is to not even attempt to learn the A2 stuff until you have a very sound knowledge of the AS modules.Sadly this was a tactic my teachers wernt to keen on but i got through it.

In the whole year i went through 12 x 200 page A4 scrapbooks,thats around 4800 sides of mechanisms,equations,synthesis and calculations repeated over and over.not including the workbooks i was given
    Whoa... I've probably only just managed that much in two years at uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Whoa... I've probably only just managed that much in two years at uni...
    Ive met a tonne of people who can read something once or just write it down once and have it stuck in their head.

Sadly im not so lucky,repetition is the only way i can learn really:no:

ReputationRep:
    Anything's possible. You just need to try hard enough.

(Original post by Nidhogg_Rider)
    Anything's possible. You just need to try hard enough.
    lol if only

ReputationRep:
    Do-able. Do not rush over the most important stuff that seems useless, they're quite important in how everything seamingly comes together in the A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    No chance. It's regarded as the hardest A Level. Prove me wrong, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClivePounds)
    No chance. It's regarded as the hardest A Level. Prove me wrong, maybe?
    Bit pessimistic? Doesn't mean they shouldn't at least try...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    Bit pessimistic? Doesn't mean they shouldn't at least try...
    I didn't say he shouldn't try. It's a bloody hard A Level

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 21, 2008

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.