Cancer in teenagers/children

Watch
Motomoto101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I’m 14 and I’ve got death anxiety and used to be very paranoid about my health , for months I’ve been having this lower back pain when I sit down or stand up , but mainly sitting. I had all blood tests a month ago and everything came back fine , I went to the doctors yesterday and he said it could be a cancer as it’s common with back pain In young people , I am so scared and I’ve got another hospital date and then a following scan , I keep thinking what if it’s spread other places already if i have it and I’m dying , or what if It’s inside me right now and I’m not doing anything about it , I am terrified
Agent78600
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I know it can be terrifying. And it must have been a shock to hear it. But you need to approach the situation this way.
1) whenever you feel scared.
2) Think the fact that there isn't actually any evidence to prove it yet. Back pain doesn't merely prove that you have cancer. I also have lower back pain and im young too.
3) If you do have cancer, cling to hope. Many people have overcome cancer. I know there is a little chance of recovery from cancer, but at least there is.
And even if it may be cancer. Don't waste your time worrying. Instead find things to be glad about. Make most of your time.
You can do this x
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
This is why I never go to the doctor. Sorry you’re going through this. That’s terrifying for you
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Back pain has other common causes too - remember that he's referring you for scans, he's not giving you a diagnosis, so nothing is guaranteed as yet. Remember that whilst something can be a symptom of cancer, that doesn't necessarily mean it is. None of us can tell you what the outcome of this will be, unfortunately, but try not to let your fears escalate before you know the outcome of the scan.

If it is cancer then they will talk you through any treatment options, and verify whether it has spread elsewhere, and you can ask any questions you have. Many forms are manageable, treatable, or both, and it should be made clear whether this is the case if you were to be diagnosed.
Agent78600
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This is why I never go to the doctor. Sorry you’re going through this. That’s terrifying for you
same my mum always tells me to go to doctors only when it is really necesary. she said that even the medicines and treatments have side effects that can cause another illness. My grandpa was ill, and he was given a treatment which cured him but the medicine had sideeffects and he passed away. This probably doesnt make sense but I dont know the details.
Motomoto101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Agent78600)
same my mum always tells me to go to doctors only when it is really necesary. she said that even the medicines and treatments have side effects that can cause another illness. My grandpa was ill, and he was given a treatment which cured him but the medicine had sideeffects and he passed away. This probably doesnt make sense but I dont know the details.
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Back pain has other common causes too - remember that he's referring you for scans, he's not giving you a diagnosis, so nothing is guaranteed as yet. Remember that whilst something can be a symptom of cancer, that doesn't necessarily mean it is. None of us can tell you what the outcome of this will be, unfortunately, but try not to let your fears escalate before you know the outcome of the scan.

If it is cancer then they will talk you through any treatment options, and verify whether it has spread elsewhere, and you can ask any questions you have. Many forms are manageable, treatable, or both, and it should be made clear whether this is the case if you were to be diagnosed.
Would cancer show up on a scan?
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Motomoto101)
Depending on the scan and the size of tumour yes
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Generally it would, I believe - I'll admit I'm not fully aware of how all cancers work, but if they're doing a scan then it certainly sounds like they'd be expecting something to show if you did have cancer! If you're worried I'd suggest talking it through in your hospital appointment, as it sounds like that's before the scan; you can let them know your worries, and see what they expect from the scan.
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
It sounds like they know a specific type it could be so they are doing the right test for that thing.

As others have said please try not to worry too much. You've done the best thing you can do which is see your GP. Cancer isn't as huge a deal in a lot of cases now as it used to be and as people tend to think. And you still don't know yet. GP is testing you which is awesome, but that may end up confirming you dont have it.
I got pretty stressed out once about something thay seemed so certain and it turns out I didn't have it. Obviously it's hard not to stress at least a bit, but that was definitely wasted stress for me.

They'll find out what's going on and whatever it is there will be opiltions so for now try to keep your mind off it and leave them to do their thing.

And if you can't stop yourself from worrying and want to talk it through with somebody so it doesn't eat you up so much inside you can use various online services (like childline or the mix), ask your school about talking to a counsellor or vent to somebody you know and feel comfortable with.
If you think of any concerns one thing that might help is to write them down so you can discuss them with your GP later if it ends up being necessary. That way you can sort of know you are dealing with it and not just forgetting about this potentially important thing, but you can also leave it for a bit so it isn't needlessly stressing you out before you can do anything about it.
Dabrria
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Please do not be afraid, pain doesn't always mean cancer.

I also often have back pain but it is just chronic radicular pain.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
OP, the commonest cause of back pain is just muscular pain. Even if it can be caused by cancer in young people, your GP has probably mentioned it because it's obviously a serious cause that needs to be excluded, not because they are convinced that you have it. Your blood tests were normal, which is reassuring, and hopefully the scans will give you the all clear as well.
Motomoto101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kindred)
It sounds like they know a specific type it could be so they are doing the right test for that thing.

As others have said please try not to worry too much. You've done the best thing you can do which is see your GP. Cancer isn't as huge a deal in a lot of cases now as it used to be and as people tend to think. And you still don't know yet. GP is testing you which is awesome, but that may end up confirming you dont have it.
I got pretty stressed out once about something thay seemed so certain and it turns out I didn't have it. Obviously it's hard not to stress at least a bit, but that was definitely wasted stress for me.

They'll find out what's going on and whatever it is there will be opiltions so for now try to keep your mind off it and leave them to do their thing.

And if you can't stop yourself from worrying and want to talk it through with somebody so it doesn't eat you up so much inside you can use various online services (like childline or the mix), ask your school about talking to a counsellor or vent to somebody you know and feel comfortable with.
If you think of any concerns one thing that might help is to write them down so you can discuss them with your GP later if it ends up being necessary. That way you can sort of know you are dealing with it and not just forgetting about this potentially important thing, but you can also leave it for a bit so it isn't needlessly stressing you out before you can do anything about it.
I had a load of bloods done about a month ago and they all can’t back fine , would cancer show up in them ?
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I had a load of bloods done about a month ago and they all can’t back fine , would cancer show up in them ?
It depends on the type of cancer and the blood tests they were doing. I believe some types of cancer do show up on blood tests (like blood cancer probably does), but they would need to do the right test.
It's possible that the tests you had indicated that type of cancer (like if certain vitamins and things are off it can suggest a problem with a certain area of your body which is usually because of cancer) but its also possible that this chance is just the next thing on the list of things to check.
Doctors don't check for everything at once. Partially cos they just can't (you probably wouldn't be able to give enough blood at one time just for all the blood tests they can do), partially cos it would be crazy expensive and partially because it would be a lot of (probably unnecessary) stress for patients. Instead they work through a list of what's most likely based on your symptoms and previous tests. Usually that's just based on statistics so that doesn't necessarily mean you have it, but that if they take 100 people with your symptoms that's the most common thing it would be.

If they're doing this test it means they don't know yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads