Turn on thread page Beta

Cash or Plastic? watch

• View Poll Results: How do you prefer to pay?
    Cash
    47.41%
    Plastic
    52.59%

ReputationRep:
    How do you prefer to pay.

Cash
    Plastic (Debit/Credit)

And as a side issue, I see a lot more plastic than cash when I'm serving in the shop I work at. Is cash dying?

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I buy something expensive I always prefer plastic, seeing all that cash can be depressing!

ReputationRep:
    If i could I would never use cash, 99% of the time I use cash. Even at tesco and i wana buy a 25p chocolate bar or something.

ReputationRep:
    I really hate paying by card, I don't know why. I always go out of my way to make a withdrawal from an ATM although it would be so much simpler to just use chip & pin.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Generally, I always pay with cash. I like to see the transaction being made. I don't like carrying around toooo much money, but then I don't remember the last time I paid over £75 for anything without paying by cheque. I only pay with my debit card online.

Though this may change if shop assistants keep taking my £10/£20 notes and turning it into shrapnel as if £5 notes and £2/£1 coins don't exist any more. Or I may just start handing them shrapnel instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    How do you prefer to pay.

Cash
    Plastic (Debit/Credit)

And as a side issue, I see a lot more plastic than cash when I'm serving in the shop I work at. Is cash dying?

I prefer to put stuff on my debit card wherever possible so I don't have to carry too much cash around/keep getting it out, and also I have online banking so it's easier to keep track of exactly where my money's gone if I've put everything on the card...

ReputationRep:
    i prefer plastic but i hate the fact it takes a few days to go out, id prefer it if the money went out straight away

ReputationRep:
    Only use cash if im going out at night. So i dont have to take a card and dont worry about loosing it. Other than that, card usually. Cleaner.

Definetly cash.

I have £10. I can spend £10.

I have £10. I have a debit card. I can spend £144.92 and then get charged nausea-inducing overdraft fees.

Cash. One can get carried away with plastic

ReputationRep:
    Hmm for small things cash, but I hate carrying much cash - a card can be cancelled. So I guess card.

ReputationRep:
    I would say plastic as its easier. But then you can easily lose track of what you spend!
    Cash is good in the way of you know how much money you have to spend, but trying to pay for something using all your change makes you look tight fisted and holds up other people waiting to be served!

ReputationRep:
    If I have change, I spend it on crap.
    I'm best off sticking to the card . . .
    x

ReputationRep:
    cash is almost dead an buried. (Well it is quickly being destoryed by plastic!)

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to pay with cash. I just seem to be more careful with my money if I can physically see what I'm spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    Definetly cash.

I have £10. I can spend £10.

I have £10. I have a debit card. I can spend £144.92 and then get charged nausea-inducing overdraft fees.
    Same. I pay with cash because I like to actually see my money. Stops me overspending and it would be so easy to get carried away when using a card.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I work on a till and I'd say a LOT of people pay by card. Personally, I don't mind either. For a night out, I take withdraw cash, as obviously it's far easier than paying for drinks with a card etc. If I have cash I spend it on more rubbish than if I just had my card.

ReputationRep:
    Cash under £3. Card for anything over.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, mixed bag. But more card.
    I feel older and older these days. I hate it. I only pay cash. Ever. Don't care if I have £800 quid to spend. I'll wait three days and withdraw it. Only time I use card is if I go under £10 and want something and hence can't use an ATM, or if I can't get to my bank, or can't be bothered going there - -
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Card for pretty much everything - even things under £5 - cash is so last centuary

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.