The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Depends what I'm buying/where I'm buying it from.

Loving the results now though - lol
Reply 61
generalebriety

Though this may change if shop assistants keep taking my £10/£20 notes and turning it into shrapnel as if £5 notes and £2/£1 coins don't exist any more. Or I may just start handing them shrapnel instead.

On behalf of Till Wenches everywhere i apologise about this :frown: but, to be fair, 5 pound notes are like golddust, and everyone pays with a twenty for some odd amount that requires tonnes of pound coins. And some of us have rubbish supervisiors who, when asked to fetch you a bag of pound coins at 11am, forget until 5pm, even when reminded at half hourly intervals :mad:
It's not like we give you 2.26 change in 20p, 10p,5p and 1p denominations out of malice :rolleyes: honest :biggrin:

In answer to the question, i try to use cash- i have a habit of impulse purchases (which isn't helped by the fact that i've bought so much crap online i have my card number engrained in my memory :frown:
If it's under a tenner then cash if not then I'll use my debit card.
Reply 63
Sk1lLz
Yes, cash is dying... unfortunately.

Unfortunately? You have some weird attachment to cash in the physical form??
Reply 64
SillyFencer
Unfortunately? You have some weird attachment to cash in the physical form??

Yes I do. It's cooler to have the actual cash in your hand :woo: :woo: :woo:
Reply 65
Sk1lLz
Yes I do. It's cooler to have the actual cash in your hand :woo: :woo: :woo:

I think it's "cooler" to have money in your bank account for as long as possible, where it gains interest and stays a lot safer.

:dontknow: Ah well, each to their own I suppose.
Reply 66
SillyFencer
I think it's "cooler" to have money in your bank account for as long as possible, where it gains interest and stays a lot safer.

:dontknow: Ah well, each to their own I suppose.

Also you don't get the COOL pictures on the back of the COIN. :yep:
Reply 67
I prefer using cash as it means I'm aware of how much I am spending (not that it hinders me!). If I'm spending large amounts, then I prefer to use card out of convenience.

I tend to usually use card though...
~Ally~
to be fair, 5 pound notes are like golddust, and everyone pays with a twenty for some odd amount that requires tonnes of pound coins.

It's true. I pay with tens and twenties all the time, but only because I never have any fives. :p: Still, it pisses me off when I'm paying £11.60 for something with a £20 note and I get five pound coins, six 50p coins and two 20p coins back. How much space do these people think I have in my wallet?! :frown:

My bank recently put up notices saying "sorry, we can only take five bags of coins per customer due to a lack of space". I wonder why notes are in such shortage nowadays. :s-smilie:
Probably because the 5 customers in front of you stole all the fives. I open my till with 2 €10 notes and 4 €5 notes. Customer one uses a €50 note for something small and steals most of the change. Customer 2 also produces a €50 and takes what's left. Customer 3 takes the absolute piss and produces a €200 note for something that was €8.50. Yes, that was my Saturday morning...

When you get a debit card in the UK, you automatically have an overdraft? That's the impression I'm getting from this thread. How dangerous. My card is Laser/Maestro, Laser is Ireland's debit thing. I don't have an overdraft and I don't think banks give ones for poor students with debit cards... I use it everywhere, cash is used for food, other newsagent purposes and nights out. Mainly because a lot of ATM's in town either have huge queues or else don't give €20's, the other reason being when I have about €8 change, €2 will be the bus fare, the rest will go on crap.
Reply 70
~Ally~
On behalf of Till Wenches everywhere i apologise about this :frown: but, to be fair, 5 pound notes are like golddust, and everyone pays with a twenty for some odd amount that requires tonnes of pound coins. And some of us have rubbish supervisiors who, when asked to fetch you a bag of pound coins at 11am, forget until 5pm, even when reminded at half hourly intervals :mad:
It's not like we give you 2.26 change in 20p, 10p,5p and 1p denominations out of malice :rolleyes: honest :biggrin:

In answer to the question, i try to use cash- i have a habit of impulse purchases (which isn't helped by the fact that i've bought so much crap online i have my card number engrained in my memory :frown:

What's so hard in them giving you a sufficient amount of change in the beginning of the day?

We get something like 50 x 5c, 50 x 10c, 100 x 20c, 50 x 50c, 40 x 1€, 40 x 2€, 20 x 5€ and 20 x 10€. It's usually enough. When I start to run out I command my managers to fetch me more, and they usually do it right there and then.

Everyone pays with a 20 in the UK because of some simple person who decided that 20 is the biggest amount of money anyone will ever want to take out of a cash machine :s-smilie: I bet it was the same person who decided to make 2p three times as big as 5p.
Card is easier tbh, but I always have cash on me.
Reply 72
Cash :smile:
HJV
What's so hard in them giving you a sufficient amount of change in the beginning of the day?

We get something like 50 x 5c, 50 x 10c, 100 x 20c, 50 x 50c, 40 x 1€, 40 x 2€, 20 x 5€ and 20 x 10€. It's usually enough. When I start to run out I command my managers to fetch me more, and they usually do it right there and then.

Woah that's a float of €472.50...mine is €153. I get change when I ask for it though.
Reply 74
HJV

Because they illogicaly cash up in the morning, before the store opens, as opposed to just after the store closes, like everywhere else :rolleyes: and so 'I don't have time to get enough change for the day, only to count it all'
I don't think Go Outdoors is as organised as S Market :frown:
Oh, and we only have a float of 100...yay..
Always cash when possible - I like seeing/feeling the money for some reason, call me old-fashioned if you want:p:

I only use the card online or when the only option is pating by card (like in train station ticket machines and stuff), and extremely rarely if I'm out of cash - but that isn't supposed to happen...
Reply 76
Always using cards, I don't like carrying cash around :smile:
Reply 77
wes
Cheque or cash, when I can.

Cheque? Who uses cheques these days?
Reply 78
wes
I do, regularly :p: Gets annoying for transactions over 30€, because I don't have any ID except my passport so I tend to have to use the card...

Lol, you old timer :p:
Reply 79
Debit card for most things, except pubs/clubs. I hate carrying around coins.

Latest

Trending

Trending