Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I emailed my tutor for advice this summer because I need to resit a piece of coursework and if I fail it I get chucked out the uni. However, he wasn't very helpful and basicaly threatened me by saying that he knew I didnt attend all of his lectrues, so the consequence is that I must now help myself.

OK, of course he has a point, BUT he has been assigned my personal tutor for the resit by my School at uni. FFS, the pathetic muppet has really motivated me to shove an A grade back in his fugly face.

Plus it is 2 months since I left uni for the summer, and 4 months since I last had a lecture. Therefore I do no expect to spoken to like that in an email during summer by a lecturer.

ReputationRep:
    meet him in person, people on the internet often act like jerks!

ReputationRep:
    Why does he have to be politer because it's summertime?

ReputationRep:
    ask to have a different tutor, visit the student advisory center.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isi333)
    Why does he have to be politer because it's summertime?
    Because he hasn't seen me for 4 months, and I am not AT university any more. It's like emailing an ex-employee and telling them that the filing cabinet is in a pathetic mess thanks to them.

His first communication with me in the space of 4 months was basically an overly confrontational harangue when a simple 'you need to do this' would have sufficed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Pah, he's human. If you don't turn up to his lectures - particularly if they're compulsory at your uni - he has a right to be pissed off, since preparing a good 50-minute lecture generally takes twice as long (of his own personal free time), and now you're making even more work for him by failing and having him assigned to you. I'm not surprised he wants nothing to do with you.

ReputationRep:
    He has a point, your at uni, you didn't attend all his lectures, so why SHOULD he help you? uni is all about indepedant working and if you can't handle the responsibility don't do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I emailed my tutor for advice this summer because I need to resit a piece of coursework and if I fail it I get chucked out the uni. However, he wasn't very helpful and basicaly threatened me by saying that he knew I didnt attend all of his lectrues, so the consequence is that I must now help myself.

OK, of course he has a point, BUT he has been assigned my personal tutor for the resit by my School at uni. FFS, the pathetic muppet has really motivated me to shove an A grade back in his fugly face.

Plus it is 2 months since I left uni for the summer, and 4 months since I last had a lecture. Therefore I do no expect to spoken to like that in an email during summer by a lecturer.
    Email him back: apologising about the lectures and saying that you know as a consequence you didn't do as well as you should have done.

However you now realise that you need to take this seriously and are willing to put some hard work into it. You can't do that without his help and cannot get help elsewhere as he has been assigned as your personal tutor.

You understand his irritation with you and it is thoroughly deserved but feel that since you have sincerely apologised and are ready to work very hard, it is harsh for him to deny you a shot at doing well.

I basically did the same thing as you, not going to supervisions (though I had panic attacks and personal problems) and as such had to justify to my tutor why I should deserve extra supervisions (which is time taken out of the tutor's schedule) and convince them that I would work. If your tutor feels you had the opportunity once then you have to really convince them that you should get it again.

It's hard, but be humble, send an email of apology and regret, and make sure you make it clear that you will work this time. If he refuses to fully supervise you, ask if you can at least send a title and a couple of drafts for him to look over, or if he can recommend another tutor.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mata)
    since you have sincerely apologised and are ready to work very hard, it is harsh for him to deny you a shot at doing well.
    Again, no it is absolutely not. The OP didn't go to this guy's lectures, so now he, the lecturer, has to do more work to help the lazy ******* who didn't turn up?? Would you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Pah, he's human. If you don't turn up to his lectures - particularly if they're compulsory at your uni - he has a right to be pissed off, since preparing a good 50-minute lecture generally takes twice as long (of his own personal free time), and now you're making even more work for him by failing and having him assigned to you. I'm not surprised he wants nothing to do with you.
    Then he shouldn't be in the job then, if he's that lazy. This is why I am always reluctant to be taught by any lecturer who isn't a professor of his field. He is paid to lecture, and paid to teach. It is totally irrelevent and of no concern whatsoever to students how long it takes to prepare a lecture.

We are students, they are lecturers. That's the chain of life. They earn more, they work harder. That's the way it goes. If he doesn't like it he knows what to do.

And besides, lectures are not compulsory. People at my uni don't care about lectures, most lecturers don't even take registers. I missed three of out of a possible six in this module.

My tutor also made lots of uncorroberated assumptions about me not buying the set text and not picking up any hand-outs, which is wrong because I have lots of them here, just not all of them. Now, clearly, those 3 missing lectures, could have been the reason I failed. I accept that. But I obviously am trying to PASS the resit and unless I fill in the gaps then it is not definite I will pass it.

I do not expect lecturers to hold grudges.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Then he shouldn't be in the job then, if he's that lazy.
    :rofl: You shouldn't be at uni, if you're that lazy.

He is paid to lecture, and paid to teach. It is totally irrelevent and of no concern whatsoever to students how long it takes to prepare a lecture.
    Yeah, but do you seriously reckon he's being paid extra to teach you because you didn't turn up to his lectures? I'm gonna make a wild guess here and say: lecturing and teaching is probably only a minor part of his job, what he really is is a researcher, and you're just pissing him off by distracting him from his real work, through your own fault, and giving him more work to do.

Like I said, they're human. Who cares what you expect? If they hold grudges, so be it - he's perfectly right to.

ReputationRep:
    Then he shouldn't be in the job then, if he's that lazy. This is why I am always reluctant to be taught by any lecturer who isn't a professor of his field. He is paid to lecture, and paid to teach. It is totally irrelevent and of no concern whatsoever to students how long it takes to prepare a lecture.

We are students, they are lecturers. That's the chain of life. They earn more, they work harder. That's the way it goes. If he doesn't like it he knows what to do.

And besides, lectures are not compulsory. People at my uni don't care about lectures, most lecturers don't even take registers. I missed three of out of a possible six in this module and missed nothing of importance.

My tutor also made lots of uncorroberated assumptions about me not buying the set text and not picking up any hand-outs, which is wrong because I have lots of them here, just not all of them.
    Ok - why did you fail? Was it because you didn't go to the lectures? Was it because you didn't work hard?

I thought that you did deserve a second chance, but your attitude is really arrogant for someone who failed a piece of coursework.

You say nobody cares about lectures - this lecturer obviously does. Appreciate that, and eat some humble pie. If he is the person who will help you pass your coursework, you NEED him.

ReputationRep:
    The basic fact is that the lecturer is paid a considerable amount of money to help his students. It's a dodgy day when lecturers can choose who and which students they will help.

ReputationRep:

And besides, lectures are not compulsory. People at my uni don't care about lectures, most lecturers don't even take registers. I missed three of out of a possible six in this module and missed nothing of importance.

My tutor also made lots of uncorroberated assumptions about me not buying the set text and not picking up any hand-outs, which is wrong because I have lots of them here, just not all of them. Now, clearly, those 3 missing lectures, could have been the reason I failed. I accept that. But I obviously am trying to PASS the resit and unless I fill in the gaps then it is not definite I will pass it.

Erm, no. Lecturers are at universities because they want to pursue their own research. Teaching students is merely a small chore that they must complete if they want to retain their academic post. (This is particularly true in sciences and in high-powered universities, which have strong research traditions). For most lecturers, teaching is a small, and often tiresome, part of their job. Furthermore, they are employed to teach a certain number of hours a year, NOT to get you through your exams.

ReputationRep:
    :
    Yeah, but do you seriously reckon he's being paid extra to teach you because you didn't turn up to his lectures? I'm gonna make a wild guess here and say: lecturing and teaching is probably only a minor part of his job, what he really is is a researcher, and you're just pissing him off by distracting him from his real work, through your own fault, and giving him more work to do.

Damn, beat me to it. I'm such a slow typist...

ReputationRep:
    Again, no it is absolutely not. The OP didn't go to this guy's lectures, so now he, the lecturer, has to do more work to help the lazy ******* who didn't turn up?? Would you do that?
    Yes, I would.

If I had a student who hadn't come to lectures but then came to me saying that they understood their silliness and laziness and were now willing to do some hard graft then yes, I would indeed give them a second chance. Young people make this sort of mistake in education but as a lecturer I would want them to do as well as possible.

I missed a lot of supervisions last year - which was very expensive for my college. Most were due to panic attacks and personal problems however I dealt with the situation badly and caused no end of trouble for my tutors and director of studies. But they genuinely cared about education and part of a university education is pastoral care and trying to help a student - even a flawed student - to do well. As a result they now have a student who is determined to work hard and make them proud.

However with reference to the OP - only if that student was genuinely sorry would I give the second chance. I don't think the OP is and that sort of arrogance would make me highly unlikely to give a second chance. An APOLOGY is the best cure here.

ReputationRep:

And besides, lectures are not compulsory. People at my uni don't care about lectures, most lecturers don't even take registers. I missed three of out of a possible six in this module.

What utter rubbish.

You didn't go to the lectures, there is only one person to blame for that.

The guy is on his holidays/ research time, why on earth do you expect him to sort out the mess that you have created. What do you want, spoon feeding?

what kind of argument is "besides, lectures are not compulsory" ??? .Deary deary me.

the funniest part is that you have the audacity to call him lazy .......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isi333)
    Erm, no. Lecturers are at universities because they want to pursue their own research. Teaching students is merely a small chore that they must complete if they want to retain their academic post. (This is particularly true in sciences and in high-powered universities, which have strong research traditions). For most lecturers, teaching is a small, and often tiresome, part of their job. Furthermore, they are employed to teach a certain number of hours a year, NOT to get you through your exams.
    Well I passed comfortably all of my exams and every piece of coursework apart from one which I narrowly failed to get to the pass mark. Thats really disappointing from my side of things. However, we are talking about a few small percentage points here, so the notion that I should be treated like a perennial underachiever or a lazy piece of scum who never attends any lectures is absurd, and yet my tutor made me feel that way.

Interestingly enough, his monotonous lecturing style was one of the few reasons i chose not to attend. My advice to him is to perhaps concentrate more on his research if that's what he's here for. If he cannot go the extra mile to help a student in need in a time of crisis then I despair at the state of the nation's education system, I really do. It is comparable to a surgeon refusing to perform a heart bypass on a known shoplifter because the patient does not fit his identikit perceptions in life.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mata)
    as a lecturer I would want them to do as well as possible.
    Out of term you're not a lecturer. You're a researcher, and it is not your job to teach students. Whether you would take pity or not - I myself probably would too - you must realise that some people join universities to be researchers and are then conscripted into doing teaching on the side, and hate teaching. This guy has a perfectly good moral reason to get out of it - he shouldn't have more of his time taken away from his research on a student who never cared the first time round.

Pragmatically, you're right, an apology is in order, but the OP should not expect anything from this guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    Yes, I would.
    I do understand the sentiments in your post, but you might not be so keen to help if you were as overworked as the average academic.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.