Turn on thread page Beta

retaking As to get A*s watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramadulla)
    God. I have remorse now for studying so much for the last two bloody units to get them to an A* -- when I could have simply got them to C grades and still came out with an A overall; since, like you said, they do not look at the UMS.
    Did you reatke after your final GCSE grade came out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Did you reatke after your final GCSE grade came out?
    No. No. Just the last two units. I calculated it previously that I would only need 2 Cs to get into the A grade boundary overall and 2 A*s to be near the A* boundary overall, thus by resiting a unit I would be able to get enough UMS to get the A* overall.

ReputationRep:
    Why bother? It's just extra stress for something so petty, and you could jeopardise your A-level results with that stress.

ReputationRep:
    No. No. Just the last two units. I calculated it previously that I would only need 2 Cs to get into the A grade boundary overall and 2 A*s to be near the A* boundary overall, thus by resiting a unit I would be able to get enough UMS to get the A* overall.
    Oh okay. I misunderstood. Retaking during your GCSE's is fine (ish). The Uni's are not going to know you did and so it is worth doing all you can to maximise your grades. It only becomes pointless after you have your GCSE's certified and there are some GCSE's that are on a certificate dated a year after your exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Oh okay. I misunderstood. Retaking during your GCSE's is fine (ish). The Uni's are not going to know you did and so it is worth doing all you can to maximise your grades. It only becomes pointless after you have your GCSE's certified and there are some GCSE's that are on a certificate dated a year after your exams.
    I believe that the GCSE will only be certified next Summer. So, before certification, will it be fine for me to resit the centre assessed unit and resubmit it without anyone knowing (apart from the exam board of course.)

ReputationRep:
    I believe that the GCSE will only be certified next Summer. So, before certification, will it be fine for me to resit the centre assessed unit and resubmit it without anyone knowing (apart from the exam board of course.)
    Yeah. Resit as many times until your final exam sitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Yeah. Resit as many times until your final exam sitting.
    They were my final modules. But they won't be certified this year since it's a year 10 GCSE type of thing... our teacher recommended re-sits next year - but I'm not putting my name down if, in the end, I'll be penalized for it! .

ReputationRep:
    They were my final modules. But they won't be certified this year since it's a year 10 GCSE type of thing... our teacher recommended re-sits next year - but I'm not putting my name down if, in the end, I'll be penalized for it! .
    If you're in year 10 they can't be your final exams. When I say final exams I'm talking about the final exams of the GCSE. As in: when I did GCSE Chem I did modules in my first year then a paper exam in the second. The modules were not my final exams: the paper exam in year 11 was.

You won't be penalized for retake modules before your FINAL exam of the GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnightRider)
    Also.. this thread is not for flaming/arguing whether it is right to retake.. Everyone has different achievement levels and whilst I'm certainly not saying an A is a bad grade, it isn't, some just want to aim higher!

If you wanted to "aim higher", you'd have worked harder in May/June so that you would get an A* the first time round. What makes you think you'll spend time revising for GCSEs when A-Levels are the more important exams when you didn't spend time revising for GCSEs when GCSEs were the most important exams?

To me, an A on the first attempt sounds a lot better than an A* on a resit. You'll be wasting your time and money - just focus on getting straight As in your ASs.

Also, if you resit, people will assume you got much worse than an A the first time round (ie D/E and below) so you'll be doing yourself a huge injustice as people will assume that you're worse at school than you actually are.

edit: Mind you, even a D isn't low enough to warrant a resit for most people.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they took A/A* as practically the same grade.
    Universities nowadays if they want a certain amount of grades will want an amount of "points" from the grades.
    A/A* are both 2 points.
    B is 1 point.
    I think some high universities (not sure about Oxbridge) look for something like 15 points overall (can be 7 As and 1 B for example).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnightRider)
    How many of you would? I didn't work hard for my GCSEs at all, was mostly only night before work, and as a result will probably get grades lower than I should have.. I still think I will do okay, mostly As and maybe a couple of A*s but it is not good enough for me to get into Oxbridge so I may retake some of the As to get them up to A*s? It shouldn't be too much work if I can get an A with a few hours of revision I can just work a bit harder to go up!

Would anyone else do the same?

Also.. this thread is not for flaming/arguing whether it is right to retake.. Everyone has different achievement levels and whilst I'm certainly not saying an A is a bad grade, it isn't, some just want to aim higher!

No. Your grades are fine to apply to Oxbridge in the first place. Concentrate on your A levels and get good grades in them; they're far more important.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, so say I get a ridiculously high A at GCSE, something like 358/360 UMS, that's 2 marks off the A* boundary. Is it better to re-sit a Unit to pull the grade up to an A* -- or should i just 'leave it'.
    how would 358/360 UMS be 2 off the A* boundary? :confused:

If it's just one unit, say, a Maths unit, then there's no reason why you shouldn't resit it, but not after you've got the official GCSE results in August - only the unit(s) you do in year 10, which can be redone in year 11 (I believe, as some in my class did it to go from D to C).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatleysteg)
    how would 358/360 UMS be 2 off the A* boundary? :confused:

If it's just one unit, say, a Maths unit, then there's no reason why you shouldn't resit it, but not after you've got the official GCSE results in August - only the unit(s) you do in year 10, which can be redone in year 11 (I believe, as some in my class did it to go from D to C).
    I've just finished year 10 yesterday - going into year 11 in September. Will the early GCSE not be certified until next year's August; when I get all my other GCSE results or is it this year. It's a science if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished year 10 yesterday - going into year 11 in September. Will the early GCSE not be certified until next year's August; when I get all my other GCSE results or is it this year. It's a science if that helps.
    If you've finished the GCSE and taken the final paper this during this June series, it will be certificated this summer.

ReputationRep:
    If you've finished the GCSE and taken the final paper this during this June series, it will be certificated this summer.
    Can teachers delay the certification for re-sitting purposes -- because she recommended resiting to all students on a borderline...

ReputationRep:
    Can teachers delay the certification for re-sitting purposes -- because she recommended resiting to all students on a borderline...
    I'm not entirely sure with GCSEs... you might have to certificate it, I think. Although if you've done it in one year, it could be possible to wait. It's a bit late now, though - if you've finished it, and your school's cashed it in, then it'll be certificated on results day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure with GCSEs... you might have to certificate it, I think. Although if you've done it in one year, it could be possible to wait. It's a bit late now, though - if you've finished it, and your school's cashed it in, then it'll be certificated on results day.
    Oh, no. I've not been invited to come on result's day...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no. I've not been invited to come on result's day...
    That might not necessarily mean you've not had it certificated - they just might not have invited you to results day as you've only got one subject and you're in year 10 - they might give you your result when you get back in September.

However, if they haven't certificated it, then you'll have nothing to worry about - you'll be able to resit a unit or two. It just means that, in effect, you'll have *lost* your early GCSE, as it'll be dated the same as your others.

ReputationRep:
    what science have you completed? is it just a module? or perhaps core science?

if this is the case then these will not be certificated, the score is sent to the school and it is carried over to make up the rest of your science grade at end of next year. So resit is possible over the course of year 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willowtree)
    what science have you completed? is it just a module? or perhaps core science?

if this is the case then these will not be certificated, the score is sent to the school and it is carried over to make up the rest of your science grade at end of next year. So resit is possible over the course of year 11.
    Woah. You have answered my question -- thank you so much!

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.