Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    unis won't respect it since they'll know you resat. Obivously if you don't get a C it mgiht be good to resit but otherwise no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnightRider)
    How many of you would? I didn't work hard for my GCSEs at all, was mostly only night before work, and as a result will probably get grades lower than I should have.. I still think I will do okay, mostly As and maybe a couple of A*s but it is not good enough for me to get into Oxbridge so I may retake some of the As to get them up to A*s? It shouldn't be too much work if I can get an A with a few hours of revision I can just work a bit harder to go up!

Would anyone else do the same?

Also.. this thread is not for flaming/arguing whether it is right to retake.. Everyone has different achievement levels and whilst I'm certainly not saying an A is a bad grade, it isn't, some just want to aim higher!
    OP if you really want to retake then i suggest you do so. I.e if you do get an A and you dont think that did justice to your capability in the subject then yes resit.

Obviously uni's will see it on your application etc. Its a risk im sure your willing to take.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should retake. First of all, you risk universities' opinions about the situation i.e. someone who has retaken a subject that they'd like to take at university shows vulnerability to failure -- especially since they would not know whether you have retaken the subject from a grade A or a grade D.

Second of all, you were assessed for what you can do during the sitting of that exam. You're like me -- I always find myself wanting to resit an exam; especially if it's a Literature/Written exam since these skills are trained by a day to day basis thus increase exponentially.

What i recommend you do is to concentrate on your upcoming exams in college - and, if you are taking the subject you'd like to resit at A-level, then concentrate on it there i.e. elaborate on your newly obtained skills on the exam paper to reinforce improvements.

I hope that this helps.

- Dr. Ramadulla.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramadulla)
    I don't think you should retake. First of all, you risk universities' opinions about the situation i.e. someone who has retaken a subject that they'd like to take at university shows vulnerability to failure -- especially since they would not know whether you have retaken the subject from a grade A or a grade D.

Second of all, you were assessed for what you can do during the sitting of that exam. You're like me -- I always find myself wanting to resit an exam; especially if it's a Literature/Written exam since these skills are trained by a day to day basis thus increase exponentially.

What i recommend you do is to concentrate on your upcoming exams in college - and, if you are taking the subject you'd like to resit at A-level, then concentrate on it there i.e. elaborate on your newly obtained skills on the exam paper to reinforce improvements.

I hope that this helps.

- Dr. Ramadulla.
    Someone who is getting As and A*s in his other GCSEs sat at normal time isnt likely to be judged as having gotten a D in the retaken subject. And in that circumstance, it will be highly unlikely that anyone who gets a D will be able to turn it around to get an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusLL)
    Someone who is getting As and A*s in his other GCSEs sat at normal time isnt likely to be judged as having gotten a D in the retaken subject. And in that circumstance, it will be highly unlikely that anyone who gets a D will be able to turn it around to get an A*.
    They were merely examples to demonstrate my points to the less enlightened of readers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramadulla)

I hope that this helps.

- Dr. Ramadulla.

How the hell would it show a "vulnerability"

GCSE's and degrees are quite different you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shabanrauf)
    How the hell would it show a "vulnerability"

GCSE's and degrees are quite different you know

maybe people who get bad grades may have especially weak immune systems leaving them vulnerable to various infectious diseases. Uni's do not like this, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this has been said already, but OP - you'll also have to put your original grades on UCAS (i'm almost certain) so not only would it seem suspicious, it would be immediately clear what you achieved first time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solihp)
    I'm not sure if this has been said already, but OP - you'll also have to put your original grades on UCAS (i'm almost certain) so not only would it seem suspicious, it would be immediately clear what you achieved first time round.
    why would it seem suspicious. an A grade isnt a criminal record lol.

And secondly im certain you dont have to put the original down. You just have to put the date of the certificated exam that you wish to declare. Its for the uni to suss out whether or not you've retaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusLL)
    why would it seem suspicious. an A grade isnt a criminal record lol.

And secondly im certain you dont have to put the original down. You just have to put the date of the certificated exam that you wish to declare. Its for the uni to suss out whether or not you've retaken.
    Perhaps not suspicious, but odd...
    It's not a matter of what you want to declare - you have to give the details of all public examinations you've sat in any given year.

Anyway, still I wouldn't say it's advisable. AS levels are more important and it would be silly to limit your chances in those in order to get one or two extra A*s.

ReputationRep:
    It is very tempting, especially if maths was an A. But with the knowledge that they can also get marked down...hmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilangel890)
    It is very tempting, especially if maths was an A. But with the knowledge that they can also get marked down...hmmm
    It's retaking; not 'remarking'.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. Doh. I am blind. In that case, I definately wouldn't put myself through the hell of any GCSE again!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.