Xmimix
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
I'm applying this year to uni courses under graphic design and game design. Just wondering if anyone here is on/has done any game design courses, (where you went, what you think about it, employment after the degree etc.) it's a fairly new course everywhere so I can't find much information. I'm more into the art side and would prefer a game design course based in art rather than the coding etc.
Thanks
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You mention you're more interested in the art side of game design which makes me think you might want to search for Games Art courses more than Game Design (in the games industry a game designer comes up with the story of the game, works out the gameplay, writes the design bible for the game, works with the level designers to layout each level and acts as a bridge between the artists and programmers). A games artist creates the assets - the 3D models of characters, vehicles, props, buildings etc. Some courses will teach design, some teach art and a few do both.

In the UK for games art I would recommend looking at Staffordshire, South Wales, Bournemouth and Dundee. You might also want to look at the best Games Art School in the World (Rookies Awards 2019) which is at Hertfordshire https://discover.therookies.co/schoo...on-excellence/. We're also rated as the best Educational Institution for Games Art in the UK by TIGA. Our showreel is here (it contains work from all 4 of the Animation degrees at Hertfordshire) https://vimeo.com/264905924

Our games art degree has been around for 14 years now, so you should be able to find a lot of info online if you go searching - BA (Hons) 3D Games Art & Design (we teach both art and design for our award winning games) and our graduates work all over the world at companies like Epic Games (USA), Nintendo (Japan), Ubisoft, Sony, Frontier etc
Xmimix
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by moid)
You mention you're more interested in the art side of game design which makes me think you might want to search for Games Art courses more than Game Design (in the games industry a game designer comes up with the story of the game, works out the gameplay, writes the design bible for the game, works with the level designers to layout each level and acts as a bridge between the artists and programmers). A games artist creates the assets - the 3D models of characters, vehicles, props, buildings etc. Some courses will teach design, some teach art and a few do both.

In the UK for games art I would recommend looking at Staffordshire, South Wales, Bournemouth and Dundee. You might also want to look at the best Games Art School in the World (Rookies Awards 2019) which is at Hertfordshire https://discover.therookies.co/schoo...on-excellence/. We're also rated as the best Educational Institution for Games Art in the UK by TIGA. Our showreel is here (it contains work from all 4 of the Animation degrees at Hertfordshire) https://vimeo.com/264905924

Our games art degree has been around for 14 years now, so you should be able to find a lot of info online if you go searching - BA (Hons) 3D Games Art & Design (we teach both art and design for our award winning games) and our graduates work all over the world at companies like Epic Games (USA), Nintendo (Japan), Ubisoft, Sony, Frontier etc
Hi,
Thanks so much for all the detailed info, I'll look into Hertfordshire's course but I was hoping for something more 2D based as I'm interested in concept art
moid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No problem - in that case you might want to look at Teesside, they have a concept art course I think... but I would learn some 3D as well, a lot of concept art is now done in 3D in ZBrush (certainly for 3D Animation and VFX productions) and it'll only be a matter of time before the Games industry does the same - because that way the art director can see 5 - 10 variations of the same character from every angle, which would be slow to produce in 2D. Knowing 3D is very useful because it will help you to not design something that will be a nightmare to make in realtime that the modellers / riggers will hate you for. Also make sure you are amazing at drawing - both realistic and stylised; it's very hard to get a job in concept art. Finally develop the ability to talk to anyone - the concept artists will often meet the client directly as part of production and you'll need to be able to say the right thing at the right time, so make sure your communication skills are top notch and you have a personality that other people enjoy.
a1sharky
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Xmimix)
Hi,
I'm applying this year to uni courses under graphic design and game design. Just wondering if anyone here is on/has done any game design courses, (where you went, what you think about it, employment after the degree etc.) it's a fairly new course everywhere so I can't find much information. I'm more into the art side and would prefer a game design course based in art rather than the coding etc.
Thanks
Do you have a portfolio tho? I'm choosing games technology to do at bristol uni this 2020. they said most of their graduates get positions in rockstar north and sony. check the careers. make sure u research about other jobs you could get into with game art.
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Xmimix)
Hi,
Thanks so much for all the detailed info, I'll look into Hertfordshire's course but I was hoping for something more 2D based as I'm interested in concept art
Hi Xmimix

I noticed you said you were quite interested in Concept Art so I just wanted to quickly shout up.

Like moid said, here at Staffs we have a really popular Computer Games Design degree - however in addition we also run really popular courses in Games Art and also Concept Art for Games and Film.

As mentioned on the pages, our Games Art degree is perfect if you want to get to grips with everything from environment and character creation to props, vehicle and weaponry design, while our Concept Art for Games and Film degree is a great choice if you want to mix artistic and technical skills to become a 2D or concept artist.

Please give me a shout if you have any queries about any of these degrees.

Thanks

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (107)
15.6%
Uncertainty around my education (111)
16.18%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (65)
9.48%
Isolating with family (46)
6.71%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (27)
3.94%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (59)
8.6%
Loneliness (71)
10.35%
Financial worries (27)
3.94%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (62)
9.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (65)
9.48%

Watched Threads