How long an extension should I ask for? 3x MSc Politics essays 4000 words. Watch

IzzyAnne
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Last term (and the first term of my Masters degree) was a disaster for me, in terms of housing, health, relationship...and I also changed course in week 3. It'll be time to submit my first essays soon, which was scary enough as I've never written politics essays before.

I was meant to submit 3x 4000 word essays, 2 on the 16th and 1 on the 21st. I've been researching for 2/3 of them but haven't written a word yet. They were set on the 12th November (so given about 3 weeks for each) but I've had constant disruption in my life that started before then (on top of existing disability) and is still continuing (though should hopefully calm down soon).

I've been asked how long an extension I need. Obviously I don't want to run too much into Term 2 but I also don't want to make myself more sick rushing if it turns out to take a lot longer than expected.

How long do you think I'd need to comfortably get a 4000 word MSc Politics essay done? Or should I just give up /defer/ go part-time?

I was thinking extend the first deadline from 16->20th, giving me 10 days to write the first essay I've already researched a bit for (Disregarded 3 days in which I have to move house and travel to hospital)

Then the 2nd deadline from the 16th-> 3rd, giving me 2 weeks to work on an essay I've done some research for (one of which will be the first week of the new term, I have 5 hours of class and it'll likely be unit intros.

Then the 3rd deadline from 21st jan->17th of Feb? That then gives me 2 more weeks for an essay I haven't looked at yet in the thick of the new term. But that's nearly a month extension on that one, I'm not sure if it's allowed...

Any suggestions greatly welcomed.
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Your extensions sound reasonable and I imagine your circumstances warrant them so go for it. Personally I wouldn't stick to those deadlines - I'd spend my evenings smashing them all out in the library and cut back on everything else to get them done. You ideally don't want them hanging over you for a month really whilst you have more work coming in. This is the nature of falling behind, if you don't double effort to catch up it's potentially more stress. More extensions. More time spent chasing an ideal university experience that never materialises because other things take focus.

Sink some serious time management into them to clear it all. You're paying for uni, get support for managing your housing issues from student union/shelter/citizens advice etc. Clear your work over relationship ****. If your health issues are preventing you from doing work - consider defer if it's something that is going to clear up. This is a real talk comment - falling behind on uni work leads to serious burnout for some people, if you're dealing with all the other things at once (are they worth the priority you're giving them? Are you doing everything you can to solve them?) then consider if this is the correct path at your time in life if they are the priority and you should be giving them more time.
Last edited by Vexper; 2 weeks ago
IzzyAnne
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Thank you very much for your response, and apologies for not getting back. I've been very hectic as you will see.

I had to ask for a further extension until the morning of the 26th for the first one, as everything has gone a bit downhill. I'm sort-of moved into my new house now - none of the stress of the last place, and no smokers! But my asthma is still getting worse - they put me on a new medication which made me very anxious, then changed to something else and I've been having a mix of panic attack and asthma attacks since then, along with my normal sickness also getting worse.

The problem is, it's the weekend now and I really don't think I can get the essay done by Sunday morning without seriously stressing myself out. I won't be able to ask anyone for more time during the weekend either.

I have 15000 words of notes, then another 1500 trying to be an essay structure. And 200 words of the intro, which will need to be revised as it's crap. I don't know whether to prioritise my health and give up, ask for an extension and hope it's accepted on Monday, or try my best to get something in at all costs.

I feel really burned out, you're right - I've done so much research and made so many attempts at starting but I just can't seem to get my thoughts in order any more. And it doesn't help not being able to breathe and eat sporadically.

In terms of hospital - It seems they may not even be able to solve my problem at all. So it's not necessarily just a problem of being sick for a while, having surgery while studying then being OK. Which is why I'm more scared to interrupt or leave uni now - there is no guarantee it will ever be easier than this in future.

(Original post by Vexper)
Your extensions sound reasonable and I imagine your circumstances warrant them so go for it. Personally I wouldn't stick to those deadlines - I'd spend my evenings smashing them all out in the library and cut back on everything else to get them done. You ideally don't want them hanging over you for a month really whilst you have more work coming in. This is the nature of falling behind, if you don't double effort to catch up it's potentially more stress. More extensions. More time spent chasing an ideal university experience that never materialises because other things take focus.

Sink some serious time management into them to clear it all. You're paying for uni, get support for managing your housing issues from student union/shelter/citizens advice etc. Clear your work over relationship ****. If your health issues are preventing you from doing work - consider defer if it's something that is going to clear up. This is a real talk comment - falling behind on uni work leads to serious burnout for some people, if you're dealing with all the other things at once (are they worth the priority you're giving them? Are you doing everything you can to solve them?) then consider if this is the correct path at your time in life if they are the priority and you should be giving them more time.
IzzyAnne
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I got to 1500 words and got exhausted. Decided to sleep and conserve my health to start the new term on monday as I'm feeling pretty sick today. I'll get the next 2100-2500 done tmorrow and pray they don't dock me 10%. But if they do, I'll accept that. Health first
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (4)
44.44%
My career doesn't need one (1)
11.11%
I'm sick of studying (2)
22.22%
I can't find a course I want to do (0)
0%
I don't know enough about them (0)
0%