What was the reasoning behind post-1970s immigration into the UK? Watch

EtonWorldDoppler
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
So I know it's ridiculous to think so now, but the UK actually used to be a country people wanted to live in!
Really? The origin country of my parents has in excess of 200 million citizens and an unemployment rate exceeding 35%. Why didn't all 200 million foreigners emigrate over to the UK like my parents did?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by EtonWorldDoppler)
Really? The origin country of my parents has in excess of 200 million citizens and an unemployment rate exceeding 35%. Why didn't all 200 million foreigners emigrate over to the UK like my parents did?
Not everybody has the ability to. Not everybody wants to leave their home country. Not everybody wants to leave their families behind. Not everybody is comfortable learning a new language.

Clearly at least 60-odd% were employed, why would they want to leave their jobs?

It's not rocket science...
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Arthur_Morgan)
In these parts, I'm an outlaw, and I have a bounty on ma head. You better keep quiet bout this or imma have to shoot ya.
....josh....shut up!? :nah:
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
in 1966 things had not really kicked off....

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...00085182-1.jpg
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Erm...war and that like. 👍
User135792468
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
"Economic migrants"?

Wouldn't they have had to had been skilled?

Or did they just waltz into the country, pregnant on the plane and then had kids on British soil which led to a fast track to citizenship?
You don’t need to be skilled to be an economic migrant. There was a labour shortage and the British Nationality Act allowed the demand to be met
EtonWorldDoppler
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by User135792468)
You don’t need to be skilled to be an economic migrant. There was a labour shortage and the British Nationality Act allowed the demand to be met

A "labour shortage"?

How ridiculous. Why couldn't that have been sorted internally?

The UK really is a ridiculous country.
Last edited by EtonWorldDoppler; 4 days ago
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
....josh....shut up!? :nah:
Nay feller
User135792468
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
A "labour shortage"?

How ridiculous. Why couldn't that have been sorted internally?

The UK really is a ridiculous country.
Use your common sense.

The British Nationality Act was in place from 1948 to 1970, *tut* *tut* which global event ended in 1945? WW2 Sherlock! Thousands of men had died, even during the war labour shortages were attempted to be solved by using women hence why percentage of women in workforce increased rapidly. However women were not enough and the increasing female participation in industry meant birth rates declined therefore the British Nationality Act was introduced allowing people from the Commonwealth nations to migrate to the UK which includes many Afro-Caribbean people who are now threatened to be deported by UK government (Windrush scandal). These people filled labour shortages and remained helping to form the modern British culture, stuff like chicken tikka masala does not exist in the Indian subcontinent instead it is an entirely British dish that it merely Indian-inspired.

“sorted internally”
If you don’t have the people then you cannot magically power the industry. Why do you think so many nations are trying to increase their birth rates? With incentives for mothers while other governments allow immigration which solves the demographic problem as many migrants are from less-developed countries so are more likely to have higher birth rates.

Please don’t suggest the UK to sort its demographic problem out internally, because you sound very naive. If countries could they would sort it out internally but as you can see they can’t.
Last edited by User135792468; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

14.17%
12.44%
12.33%
18.09%
23.16%
19.82%

Watched Threads